My Bambino is going to pop, but when?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a real problem. It most likely happened a while back, maybe even at birth, and has just now gotten bad enough to be noticed. He needs an antibiotic. I would take that photo into a vet, and see what they say. E-mail it if possible. Give the age, etc. Ask if you can treat it in the meantime with a topical wound spray for cats like found in the farm supply stores. even a half water half solution of hydrogen peroxide. He definitely needs to be seen or at least have some kind of treatment. if he is nursing that is a good sign. it almost looks like a burst abscess, or he was accidentally bit while the mother was trying to chew the cord.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. Antibiotics are a necessity and he should recover. Vet can clean and dress it if necessary. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am at the vets right now with all the babies and momma. It should be fine, they took him back so I’m just waiting :(

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey so they couldn’t give any antibiotics because they are too young but they cleaned it out really good and told me to keep and eye on him, they told me he should be fine though

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope do, he is just too young for this to happen. You must be so worried! I will pray for that sweet tiny kitten....just remember, cats are tough, even tiny ones.
This is actually really reassuring and made me smile :) after losing one of the babies I have been so paranoid. Duchess moved the babies from the closet into the bed d1 and we fought with her about it for a couple of days but my husband and I both agreed that after this and how the kitten probably got hurt when she was trying to move him, that she can have the whole bed for her and her little ones! 😂 so now we just pile on the floor

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. No kitten is too young for a kitten-sized dose of antibiotics, so keep an eye on this injury and if it is not healing INSIST on antibiotics. Clavamox comes in a suspension so TINY doses can be given. If the injury swells, gets pus, looks inflamed, kitten stops nursing — IMMEDIATELY call the vet for antibiotics.

That being said, I hope the kitten heals well and there are no issues, but be careful.

I agree! Let mama put her kittens where SHE wants them to be. Mama cats are very smart! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you have to be on the floor! Hopefully she will decide on a floor place to eventually move the kittens, they will start crawling and a bed is too high, unless it is a mattress on the floor. I had one mama that kept trying to put her babies in a horrible dirty cold place under the stairs, I had to block her out. Can you put your mattress on the floor so the kittens wouldn't fall far? Hey maybe you can separate the mattress and box spring and she would stay on the box spring and you can have the mattress. I hope you get your bed back!

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about an antibiotic cream to be applied to the wound? Surely that couldn't hurt the little one?
See I asked if I could apply anything per day just to keep it from infection and they told me to just bring him back if it worsens :( I feel really helpless at the moment .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are antibiotic wound sprays for cats at farm supply stores like Tractor supply, and I have applied human antibiotic salve (WITHOUT PAIN RELIEVERS) quite a few times in the past. Mama should keep it clean by licking it too. Keep an eye on it and call your vet right away if it starts leaking colored pus (clear is normal) like yellow or green, gets a big area of red around it or swells. You could call and see if you could apply something, because that kitten is awfully young....If it starts getting a crust or a scab, that is good, it is healing.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm dying! So adorable babies!

It will be interesting to see what kind of legs and coats they get, please keep updating.

Also, keep updating about the kitten with the wound!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, they are adorable. I LOVE getting updates that are good, my heart sinks when I see an update, most aren't. Scabbing is good, healing has begun. You and your little ones have a very Merry Christmas!
PS I still wonder if the white kittens will be pointed, they don't start getting them until the are a little older. if they stay pure white, be sure to check their hearing, white cats are notorious for being deaf. I had one many years ago, and he adapted and acted like any other cat! We used to flip the light switch on and off to get him to come, and we always stomped our foot on the ground so we wouldn't startle him coming into a room.

Last edited:

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other white one doesn’t like pictures lol