My Baby Turns 4, And I Still Dont Know What Bread He Is! Help!!!!

Wero23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got this little guy from a friend of mine. It was an interesting situation. He had a family member living in his basement(keep in mind we live in a suburb area, so lots of fields, and what not) and she had about 4-5 adult cats, with a bunch of kittens. He told me he would give me one if I wanted one. I thought what a perfect gift for my girlfriend who at that time we were going to celebrate our 5th year anniversary! Fast forward 4yrs, we are now living in Massachusetts looking to expand our wonderful family with a dog! My only concern is if my little big guy would not get along with the new dog. A little bit about him. His name is pinky, everytime we get home, he always runs to the door to greet us, when I leave in particular for a long time, he rushes to the door, and cant wait for me to take off my shoes so he can rub up against them. Hes very playful, and very lazy lol. I'm home a lot since I coach for a living, I only for about 3hrs a day, so I would say when I am home about 50% of the time he is either asleep in the closet, or asleep on the recliner next to me. When we go to bed, he usually either sleeps at our feet, or on super rare occasions he will cuddle with us. He isnt very affectionate, he doesnt like cuddling much, and when I get him to purr, he enjoys it for about 3minutes then just decides to bite or scratch me. He has learned how to sit before we feed him, or idk if that's just what he does lol but when I say sit He sits and usually meows. Idk if i am missing anything but anything will help! 20190125_020810.jpg 20181104_011020.jpg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think he is any particular breed (the majority of cats are not), and I won't offer how to label his coloring since I am pretty bad at that. Other members who are much better at that than me will eventually see your post and offer their expertise.

But, I will offer this to you, as information about bringing a dog into your home with your buddy.

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wero23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think he is any particular breed (the majority of cats are not), and I won't offer how to label his coloring since I am pretty bad at that. Other members who are much better at that than me will eventually see your post and offer their expertise.

But, I will offer this to you, as information about bringing a dog into your home with your buddy.

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Thabk you so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without papers he would be a Domestic Shorthaired Tabby with white. There are VERY few cats that are purebred and thus have a certain breed listed, as stated above most are mixed and the better fro it! Tabby's are characterized by their stripes, and the large 'M' on their forehead right between and above their eyes. He is a handsome cat, intellegent looking and a wonderful family member. As for introducing a dog, a puppy would be more readily accepted. But the puppy would have to be protected against attacks. I take it he is neutered, that usually lowers aggressive tendencies. Certain dog breeds are known to be hunters/aggressive too, so watch that, like huskies and many otehr breeds.
Cats hate change and you would be introducing a big one, but in time the puppy would also provide companionship and be intresting to observe for your boy. I would get a kennel and let tehm observe each otehr while safe. You might even exchange places to get them used to each others scents. Your cat also sounds like he may have some overstimulation problems taht brings on teh 'attacks' when you pet, or engage with him overlong for his liking, they will strike out. The trick is to see how long and how much stimulation they can take before lashing out, dilated pupils, bushed tail, raised fur, low growls. etc. and to stop right before. It is pretty common, I have a little female with it right now. I still haven't learned her limit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wero23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Without papers he would be a Domestic Shorthaired Tabby with white. There are VERY few cats that are purebred and thus have a certain breed listed, as stated above most are mixed and the better fro it! Tabby's are characterized by their stripes, and the large 'M' on their forehead right between and above their eyes. He is a handsome cat, intellegent looking and a wonderful family member. As for introducing a dog, a puppy would be more readily accepted. But the puppy would have to be protected against attacks. I take it he is neutered, that usually lowers aggressive tendencies. Certain dog breeds are known to be hunters/aggressive too, so watch that, like huskies and many otehr breeds.
Cats hate change and you would be introducing a big one, but in time the puppy would also provide companionship and be intresting to observe for your boy. I would get a kennel and let tehm observe each otehr while safe. You might even exchange places to get them used to each others scents. Your cat also sounds like he may have some overstimulation problems taht brings on teh 'attacks' when you pet, or engage with him overlong for his liking, they will strike out. The trick is to see how long and how much stimulation they can take before lashing out, dilated pupils, bushed tail, raised fur, low growls. etc. and to stop right before. It is pretty common, I have a little female with it right now. I still haven't learned her limit!
Thank you so much! All of this was so helpful. And now I feel like I understand him a lot more! I was looking to adopt a grown dog, but I had a feeling that it wouldnt be a good idea. Reading your reply list confirmed a puppy it will be. Thank you so much!