My baby Momo has an inflamed Pancreas.

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got back from the Vet today to check on my baby Momo (my current picture is him) His bloodwork showed his pancreas is the target. They currently have him on IV fluids, force feeding, antibiotics and such. Today makes day 3. His fever started from 103 to 104 next day and today it was 106. I am so scared my baby won't make it. He was so happy to see me and so sad when I had to leave. Has anyone gone through an issue like this with that particular organ? Did your baby recover and come home? :( 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several people here who have dealt with pancreatitis.  Is the vet also giving your kitty a painkiller, pancreatitis is very painful.  Some vets give a steroid others don't so I don't know if it's helpful or not.  I know there are kitties here who have survived this.  I think it's mainly about supportive care, fluids do help a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a call from a vet tech that the Dr will be calling soon. I am sitting here in tears fearing the worst. My baby has not improved at all. I don't know what to do at this point other than to freak out.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh honey just wait and see what the vet has to say.  He may be asking for approval to do more testing.

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Momo is home finally. I check his temp very often, it stays at about 101.8 to 102.8. He has been in the vets care since July 21st on IV, medications, force fed etc from his pancreatic issue. First day home. Peed a few times very well. Still not eating or drinking. I have force fed small amounts to start 5ml ish and stopping when he doesn't want anymore. He has been sleepy and sluggish all day is that normal? I'm wondering if he is just trying to relax after being gone so long and cooped up. Even now he is sleeping. Current medications he has for home are clavamox, baytrill and metrodolze for his diarrhea but clavamox seems to make him feel gross so doc said may not use tomorrow. I do hope his constant sleepiness is just from everything. :(

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momo has been through a lot in a short amount of time.  It is very possible that the sleeping and lethargy are from dealing with everything. How long has Momo been home?  Also how often are you trying to feed him?   If he is keeping the food down I would continue with feeding him smaller amounts of food more frequently.  I would follow up with your vet on Monday though if he is not eating better by then.  I also wonder if Momo is experiencing any nausea from either the illness or the medications and would ask the vet about this too.  Cats tend to not want to eat if they are experiencing nausea.  I do not have personal experience with Momo's illness of those medications though myself.  I hope someone is able to give you some more answers based on personal experience soon.  I just wanted to let you know someone had seen your questions and was thinking of both of you.

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe thank you. Hes been home since yesterday afternoon. He will eat a treat here and there but no real eating and drinking yet. Doc had me stop the clavamox which may have caused his vomit episodes yesterday evening. He is still laying around and sleeping a lot. Not really interested in much. I have text and call option to my vet doctor encase I need it. His temp is 101.8 so no fever just feeling bleh today. I don't force feed too often since he wants to rest a lot. I can push about 5ml a few hours at a time I don't wanna stress him out.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe thank you. Hes been home since yesterday afternoon. He will eat a treat here and there but no real eating and drinking yet. Doc had me stop the clavamox which may have caused his vomit episodes yesterday evening. He is still laying around and sleeping a lot. Not really interested in much. I have text and call option to my vet doctor encase I need it. His temp is 101.8 so no fever just feeling bleh today. I don't force feed too often since he wants to rest a lot. I can push about 5ml a few hours at a time I don't wanna stress him out.
Poor baby.  You might want to text or call the vet and ask about medicine for nausea.  Even if the vet is closed you may be able to get the vet to call in medicine to a human pharmacy. Some generic medications are actually pretty inexpensive.  Momo may still be feeling nausea from the Clavamox.  It is good that you are able to get him to eat something at least for now.  I hope things get better soon.  One of my cats had some sort of kitty stomach bug that was causing her to throw up. My vet had to give her a shot for nausea after she stopped throwing up before I could get her to eat normally again. 

Last edited:

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has meds for nausea. Hes still recovering from GI issues after his pancreatic flare up. My guess is that clavamox is still in him a bit. Hes asleep currently so I don't wanna wake him to feed yet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet for a pain medication.  Pancreatitis is very painful.  I know when GoHolitic's kitty had pancreatitis he had a fentanyl patch.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second the pain medicine. I had pancreatitis as a result of a gallbladder infection and it was horrifyingly painful. Poor kitty, hopefully he gets better soon. Have they been able to link the pancreatitis to another digestive problem or do they not know the source?

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momo Update: He is still sleeping but managed to get him to eat a few treats since he still won't touch his main food, and he drank up two sessions of tuna juice. I guess it is a slow road to getting him eating normal. His ultrasound appointment is Thursday. :) He is moving around a bit more, and a bit longer period of being awake but overall still tired. I am wondering if him being in a cage for nearly two weeks is why he has a bit of weakness when walking around. He isn't wobbly or falling over, but can tell it takes him a second to adjust. His fever is gone since last night. He has peed very well, no vomiting since we stopped Clavamox. Just waiting on some poo. LOL.

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I second the pain medicine. I had pancreatitis as a result of a gallbladder infection and it was horrifyingly painful. Poor kitty, hopefully he gets better soon. Have they been able to link the pancreatitis to another digestive problem or do they not know the source?
The Bay trill he is on helps with pain and is a antibiotic. He is recovering from the side effect of irritable bowel from the pancreas issue. The Ultrasound he is having this week will make sure there is nothing else going on despite perfect blood work results besides low albumin due to diarrhea and of course the obvious sign of pancreatitis that dropped A LOT since his first blood work. Most likely a change in his diet is going to occur this week as well as probable vitamins and such included in his daily intake. I am thinking about going full wet food to assure he gets enough hydration and I think there is more benefit to wet vs dry in terms of nutrition in general. At least I hope there is. I know there is a lot of debate between wet vs dry. 

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The liver drains into the gallbladder which is embedded in the liver which then drains into pancreas and then into the intestines. There all so interconnected that it's hard to tell what the root cause is without an ultrasound. Getting the ultrasound is a great idea, you'll know if there's anything else that a problem after that. It sounds like the antibiotics are helping though, so maybe this was bacterial related and a few months from now it will all be behind you. It's incredibly painful though, kind of like having your whole upper chest area squeezed in a vise while being repeatedly stabbed in the back. Hopefully the pain meds are taking the edge off. The not wanting to eat or use the bathroom could be related to that. It's kinda like getting negative feedback. Your already in an enormous amount of pain and then you eat something which pushes bile through the digestive tract causing everything to hurt even more. The good news though is that with proper diagnosis and care it is very treatable and it sounds like you have a good vet.

riccana johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Dr Davis at Hidden Hills Animal Hospital is amazing. He has done so well with Momo, even allowing me to call or text him anytime after hours if I am uneasy about what Momo is doing. He goes back for a checkup Tuesday then the ultrasound later this week, with Momo having any interest at all in the tuna to me, is a great sign of recovering. I think he just really wants to rest after two weeks in a vet office :( I doubt he was comfortable or able to relax period in the cage. They moved him into the big one and it still seemed small to him.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cages are no fun at all. I imagine being away from you and his home was very stressful as well. He won't thank you for it but you did what was best for him in the long run by making sure he got the care he needed.

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is Momo? We just got through a pancreatitis attack with our Werewolf.  He was hospitalized for four days (4th of July weekend, of course...) on IV fluids, antibiotic (Baytril and Polyflex), pain meds, antinausea meds, and an appetite stimulant (mirtazepine).  He never ran a fever at all, but was lethargic, vomiting and very painful.  We were lucky and once the acute misery was relieved, he perked up pretty quickly.  Hope Momo is doing better - maybe an appetite stimulant would help him eat better?  Please keep us posted.

Julie and The Werewolf

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would ask your vet about the meds pepcid n cerenia. Also can they show you how to do sub fluids at home? That's the gold treatment to help flush that pancreatitis pain.

My Angel girl also had bouts of this. Very painful. Pain meds. Fluids. Food. Anti nausea and anti acid are all needed to keep it in check. Cerenia is a wonderful anti nausea med and it also has pain relieving properties.

Pepsid will help with the acid. Together cernia pepcid and sub fluids really help plus if your kitty is not drinking water they will not want to eat.

Dehydration makes them feel lousy. I would ask about
1.sub fluids
2.cerenia/zofran for anti nausea
3.pepcid for acid control.