My baby is due! Day 63

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening everyone.

I hope you are well!

My beautiful lady is due today. I've had litters in my lifetime, my most recent one was last year but my queen surprised me in the morning with 4 babies on my chest so i never witnessed her labour!

Moving forward to today, my beautiful Ragdoll is due, I feel as if she's giving mixed signals - she didn't want her breakfast this morning but has since ate, her temp seems to have dropped (my thermometer isn't very accurate though) shes also grooming her hoohaa a lot but shes also a bit dirty as she cant reach her bum very well so I've been helping her there lol shes currently digging up the bed sheets in my cupboard (nesting X1000)

i know some cats don't show any signs at alllllll, so I'm not relying on them too heavily but if you come across this thread & have any advice i would be most grateful!!

(Just to add, I know they can go until about 70 days!)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It certainly sounds like she is very close. If you see “ripples” in her sides they will likely be contractions. First stage labor can last around 24 hours. Second stage is pushing. Be patient and keep us posted!

Also would love to see a picture of your ragdoll!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I hope so!

i witnessed my first cat birth at 10 years old so I don’t remember much, I hope I witness her labour!

Will try and upload a picture of my babies. Mama is a tortie point ragdoll & daddy is blue point 😍

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) Your babies are beautiful too!

I also have a tabby & a calico tabby or a caliby if you will lol.

My Raggie is producing milk today :) her temp is even lower than the last time I checked (i don't think the numbers are accurate but the drop is accurate if that makes sense) so hopefully, they'll be here soon!

a very pregnant sweetie!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her little heart! I have found out one thing in my great age, babies will come when they come. Make sure she wants you near while she is giving birth, Have warm wet washcloth near to help her out if she gets too exhausted. Any kittens she is not vigorously licking you will have to clean. Make sure all birthing sacks are removed around their faces, they will be limp and unresponsive because they need stimulation. Wash their little mouth area, and rub them briskly with a dry towel. You may even have to turn them upside down and squeeze/stroke gently to see if they have anything in their mouth. Mama usually does this but sometimes they just get too tired. Almost all mamas do fine. My outside cats gave birth all by themselves with no troubles. You could watch some videos by the Kitten lady to get prepared.
Please keep us posted!

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless her little heart! I have found out one thing in my great age, babies will come when they come. Make sure she wants you near while she is giving birth, Have warm wet washcloth near to help her out if she gets too exhausted. Any kittens she is not vigorously licking you will have to clean. Make sure all birthing sacks are removed around their faces, they will be limp and unresponsive because they need stimulation. Wash their little mouth area, and rub them briskly with a dry towel. You may even have to turn them upside down and squeeze/stroke gently to see if they have anything in their mouth. Mama usually does this but sometimes they just get too tired. Almost all mamas do fine. My outside cats gave birth all by themselves with no troubles. You could watch some videos by the Kitten lady to get prepared.
Please keep us posted!
Thank you for your reply!

My mum who has whelped kittens & puppies in her lifetime also told me the exact same, they will come when they come haha, i am just so eager!

I have bought lots of birthing supplies, gloves, tea towels to help stimulate, a stethoscope because I'm extra lol, thread & surgical scissors in case I need to cut the cords, a heating pad, a hot water bottle, a nasal aspirator, honestly could open up a cat birthing assistance service at this point lol I have been watching so many birthing videos & simply staring at my queen(who is now showing no signs). I think I need to get out of the house lol

Day 65, my other litter was born on day 66! I will update you guys & share pictures. Praying for a healthy mama & healthy kitties

xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, a self-styled cat midwife — I did all that too. I even keep powdered formula in the freezer year-round in case kittens are brought to me or a baby squirrel falls from a nest. We’re all waiting with you and hope all goes well.

P.S. Milk can come in up to a week early, though I doubt you’ll need to wait that long.

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like you have everything covered! Now you got ME eagerly waiting too! All the luck!
I can be over the top but better to be over-prepared! The last time I bought all this stuff I didn't even need it hahaha

Still no babies or no signs. I know they can go up to 70 days but I wonder, if we didn't know their due dates we wouldn't know what day they're on so, I'm going to be patient & let nature run its course unless I see any signs of distress. She is as happy as can be it seems like!

Come on babiessssss

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, a self-styled cat midwife — I did all that too. I even keep powdered formula in the freezer year-round in case kittens are brought to me or a baby squirrel falls from a nest. We’re all waiting with you and hope all goes well.

P.S. Milk can come in up to a week early, though I doubt you’ll need to wait that long.
Ah milk of course! I still don't have any kitten formula, ill have to grab that today. I bought kitten formula last time to help the smaller guy of the litter, I found the bottle so hard and nothing like a teat, so he just rejected it, but luckily he picked up weight on his own, and now he's a monster & driving my friend who took him mad aha

Are there any bottles you would recommend?

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do cats show interest in a particular place waaaay before birth? because she is going back and forth between all the options (i have quite a few, I don't know if I'm overcompensating)

I've moved another box that she was in closer to me and now she doesn't seem interested in it lol (i moved it from the foot of the bed to the head) guess ill move it back! I have about 6 places set up for her

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok, she's in the wardrobe and digging at it. Hope she picks this place as this is where my previous litter was born, nice and spacious & warmmmmmm

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I read these pregnant threads avidly & can attest that this restlessness is very typical. I am so excited for you and mom. If it all goes well please post photos so we can pass out the cigars.

Lovemy4buddies4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Labour has begun! My baby girl. every time she meows I cry lol, I'm gonna be a grandma, again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you need to supplement, use a syringe not bottle. Syringe with Miracle Nipples (order on Amazon) is best.

Congrats! They are lovely! 😻