My baby girl got diagnosed with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) today :(

jlnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My name is JL and I have a 16 year old cat named Eliza. She is my world! I've had her since she was 2 weeks old, half of my life! ... today she got diagnosed with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) :( and I'm devastated. So after getting home from the vet, while researching everything on the disease I ran into The Cat Site and its forums which I've found very informative and supporting. Which is what I need right now. If anyone has a cat or dog with the same condition please feel free to say hi! Thank you all! :)

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS jlnyc. So sorry to hear Eliza's diagnosis. I lost my 15.5 year old Xena to heart failure this past November. It is devastating. It all happened so fast. I allowed Xena to go naturally. Soul crushing to wait out the process knowing that she was uncomfortable, but there were some good moments that last week and I'm so glad that I did not deny her those moments. Our kitties hide their pain so well. The symptom I noticed most in Xena is that she was tired and getting weaker each day.  My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My name is JL and I have a 16 year old cat named Eliza. She is my world! I've had her since she was 2 weeks old, half of my life! ... today she got diagnosed with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure)
and I'm devastated. So after getting home from the vet, while researching everything on the disease I ran into The Cat Site and its forums which I've found very informative and supporting. Which is what I need right now. If anyone has a cat or dog with the same condition please feel free to say hi! Thank you all!
Hi

I had a cat with CHF as a result of HCM, but the issue is the same, a weak heart that allows fluid to enter the lungs causing the raod breathing.  Probably the best treatment for this is a diuretic, Lasix being very common, and it can be given by pill or by sub q injection (easier than pills for many people and cats) and this could keep her feeling good for some tie.  I'm so sorry and hope for the best

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for replying, yes the injected her w Lasix and then gave me some pills along with Enalpril. She's breathing better today but very down still ... she ate a bit when I brought the food to her, so hopefully she'll get better and better as the days go by. Even though she's an old lady, she's such an active kitty I hate seeing her so down. Is there any special diet or anything else I can do it change to make her feel better? Thanks :)

JL

jlnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Boney,

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I've started her on the medication today so hopefully she'll feel better soon. Im sorry to hear about your baby. I can't possibly imagine that happening :( I'm sure Xenia was so happy with you and is still with you. Xoxo

JL

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a cat in her condition the best food is ANY food she will eat, the most tempting thing she likes. Hopefully she will feel better on the Lasix which I expect she should be getting daily.

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for replying, yes the injected her w Lasix and then gave me some pills along with Enalpril. She's breathing better today but very down still ... she ate a bit when I brought the food to her, so hopefully she'll get better and better as the days go by. Even though she's an old lady, she's such an active kitty I hate seeing her so down. Is there any special diet or anything else I can do it change to make her feel better? Thanks :)

JL

jlnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments and Purraises! Lol! An update on Eliza! ... she's doing much better today... she was still tired and mellow all day yesterday but slowly started eating and today she meowed for food! I'm so so happy! The meds are obviously working. I still need to take her in for an EKG so we'll see what's next. For the meanwhile she's doing better. Thanks guys!

XOXO

JL

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Eliza but I want you to know that she can do well for the time that she has left. Let me tell you Speedy's story...

Speedy was diagnosed with HCM when she was quite young, the cardiologist originally gave her a life expectancy of 10-11 years but she did very well on atenolol and aspirin for years. Fast forward to December 2015, when Speedy was 15 years old, at her routine cardiac visit she was diagnosed with severe CHF. The vet prescribed a lot of medication and a low sodium diet and gave Speedy a prognosis of 9 months, maybe 12 if she did well on the meds and diet.

I was devastated but we persevered.  Speedy did very well except for weight loss, which is common in cardiac patients. I cannot afford the cardiac visit and echo very often and she seemed healthy so we did not return for a year.

Fast forward again to December 2016, 12 months with CHF. The cardiologist was absolutely stunned to see that Speedy is stable. CHF does not go away, but it has not advanced! Amazingly, the doctor said to bring Speedy in for a cardio checkup for 6 to 9 months.  The regular vet also was stunned at this diagnosis, both doctors told me that whatever I am doing with diet and medication, I should not change a thing.

My advice to you is to be vigilant about adherence to the medication regimen and talk to the vet about a low sodium diet. I am convinced that this is what has kept Speedy in relatively good health. I am very lucky that she takes pills very easily, just getting medication into your cat can be half the battle.  

Speedy takes 4 meds daily - pimobendan, atenolol, furosemide (Lasix) and clopidigrel (Plavix) - plus baby aspirin 2x week. Furosemide is a diuretic so she drinks and pees a lot, get  ready to clean that litter box even more often!  Speedy is also on moderate sodium restriction, under 80 mg/100 kcal.  If your vet thinks low sodium is a good idea, I can give you some advice on products. It's really hard to find nutritional info for cat food.

So good luck to you and Eliza, if you're lucky she can be happy and stable for a good while yet.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please ask your doctor/cardiologist about a medication called vetmedin. It is meant specifically for CHF and can do a good deal to extend their lifespan.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Speedy takes vetmedin 2x each day, my understanding is it helps her heart beat stronger.  I order it from Wedgewood.