My Baby Died Yesterday From Kidney Disease. I Am Having Such A Hard Time.

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I have been a member for many years, but haven't posted much.

My baby passed yesterday. I found her in 2006 when I was 19 years old outside my college apartment complex, thin, with worms. She was the friendliest little girl ever. I took her in, and she's been the most amazing cat ever. I don't know how to explain it, but I've had pets before but she was special. Maybe everyone thinks that about all their pets, but I've had other pets but for some reason she stands apart. A very intuitive and soulful cat. Patient, kind, never complained a day in her life. Throughout her life everyone commented on her sweet and positive nature and how human-like she was.

A few years into having her in my life, she was diagnosed with kidney disease. It's been manageable since with diet and medications. Maybe 7 months ago she started to throw up with more frequency. She since lost weight to the point she became light as a feather and all bones, and I could see she had less energy, but she was just as sweet as always.

*** This might be too graphic for people to hear, so feel free to skip these paragraphs.

I awoke Sunday morning to hearing her throwing up. She threw up often, so this wasn't unusual, but she kept throwing up, over and over. I went to her and saw she was panting. I've never seen her do this before, so I started to worry and grabbed my phone to call the vet. Unfortunately, in France, everything is closed on Sundays. She then began to stumble around and then I knew she was in real trouble. I called an emergency vet line who deployed an in-house vet to come visit my apartment. It was another hour before he showed up and my kitty hid herself in the bathroom on the cool tiles of the bathroom floor. I gave her a blanket and pet her, but she continued to pant and drool and was mostly unresponsive. The worst part was I could see she was in serious distress, but as I pet her, she would make a cooing/chirping noise she always made when she was healthy and happy when I would pet her so I know she was aware enough to know I was with her.

The vet arrived, tried to draw blood to check her vitals, but her BP was so low and she had such bad circulation he couldn't find any veins in her legs or neck. Her temperature was frighteningly low. She began to vomit again and started to struggle.

The vet asked me if it was time to let her go. I couldn't respond so I just nodded. He injected her in her back with a sedative and explained the process to me. Because her veins had all collapsed the only option was intra-cardiac for the euthanasia. I hadn't heard of that before and oh it killed me to watch him inject her heart. Within seconds she was gone. I think that's the part that kills me. Remembering her pretty little face and the way her eyes looked after. It hurts so bad. I am so scared she felt pain and fear in her final moments.

I read everyone talking about how euthanasia is peaceful, but she didn't look peaceful. She was gasping for breath for hours before as we waited for the vet. She looked scared and in pain. She was too sick to even have IV euthanasia. I feel like I failed her in the end.

*** End of final hours.

She's been with me since I was 19. She's moved with me across the US for university, my first job, a few relationships, buying my first home, a marriage, a divorce, a move to France (I'm living in Paris now), and she's always been a perfect companion. Since she's passed yesterday, I feel like I'm in shock. Both with the way she died and how I worry her last few hours were awful. How I wish I had taken her outside more before she passed (she really loved the grass and flowers). How the house just feels empty without her. I keep imagining I am hearing her in the house walking around, eating, playing with something in the hallway. I hate it. I am shocked how I feel. I can't stop crying. I miss her little face so much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Oh, my dear, I am so very, very sorry. But you did the right, the ONLY, thing...you helped her make that journey, you stayed by her, and comforted her, and SHE KNEW that. She knows it now. Love does not die, you know. Love changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides. She is with you still. Where she is now, there is no pain, and her only sorrow is your grief. She waits for you, but in a place where time has no meaning. Whether you join her in 10 minutes or in 80 years, it is one to her. She waits, and will never be far from you until that time.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your baby was your soul mate. That is a very special and unique relationship. This in no way means that you love or loved the other pets in your life less. This is just a different type of relationship with a different type of bond.

You did everything you could for your baby. This includes the very difficult decision to end her suffering made from a place of love. It sucks when there is nothing more you can do to fix things. The what-if's and I should have done things differently are a normal part of the grieving process. It is hard but you really have to force yourself not to get stuck in the what-if's. This can not fix things and only causes more pain.

You gave your baby the one thing she wanted in life your love and safe home. A piece of your love has gone with her to light her way to the rainbow bridge. A piece of her love has been left with you in a special place in your heart. Her love lives on through the memories of the happy times you shared together. This bond can never be broken and will always remain a part of your life. Time can dull the sharp edges of pain but it never completely disappears. All you can do is try to find a new normal. One thing that helped me was to focus on some small task each day to help me feel like I accomplished something. You will always miss your baby but she would not want be sad. She would want you to celebrate her life. She is now an angel watching over you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that this has happened to you all, but unfortunately they don't live as long as we do, usually. But she had a WONDERFUL life with you, she loved you and you her, she had all she ever wanted or needed, the end was the only sad part and of course it is easy to dwell on bad things rather than good but with time that will change, the image of her last few hours with you will fade and the memories, the great memories will drown that out with time. And I truly believe that if she passed that quickly after the shot she was more than ready to go and welcomed the peace, she is relieved to be out of her painful Earthly body and is now an Angel at the Rainbow Bridge, and you will be reunited again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, like described above, she was your soulmate, that one special little girl that will always be a part of your soul. You shared your life journey for twelve years, she was with you through laughter and tears, through pain and uncertainty, you were together.....She was you one constant in life, she was always there, that is why it is so hard to not have her physical presence anymore, the emptiness can be unbearable.
What you are going through, the guilt, the pain, all the should haves and could haves, is called grief. As you get older it will visit many times and you will find it never gets easier, it is something you never get over, it is something you learn to live with, to cope with.
What she went through at the end is unavoidable. Most living things fight death, but their poor little bodies cannot take anymore. Awareness and senses start to shut down, but her connection to you kept her aware you were there, offering comfort and love and helping her to get through what she had to do. She will always be grateful.
The bond of love you built year by year with that little girl will always be within you, nothing, not even death can take it away. "death cannot take that which never dies", your love for each other. Although she now follows a new path, she will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. You know her well, well enough to know that she would want you to go on into the future and seek happiness and joy in living once more. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. Send her thoughts of happiness, not dark thoughts filled with pain and grief. Be thankful you shared 12 years with her, think what you would have lost if you would have never brought her into your life so long ago. It was meant to be. You gave her what she wanted most in life, love and a home, and look what she gave you in return. Try not to dwell on the end, don't let her death take on more of your thoughts and more importance than her life. Her life meant so much more..... Time is the only thing that helps you get through this. In time the pain will soften and your memories of happier times will bring you comfort. For now, keep busy and distract your heart, do a good deed, such as a small donation to your local shelter or vet in your little girl's name. It will help you feel better about yourself.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. RIP sweet little girl. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a special place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. The trauma, the numbness, the shock....the feeling that your world has collapsed and nothing is important anymore. Your baby was truly your soulmate. Literally being there for you through thick and thin. Never leaving your side no matter what. You went through so much of your life with her. Life just isn’t life without her. You feel lost.

And that final moment.....that is so traumatizing. Euthanizing your beloved baby is one of the worst, if not the worst, pain you feel. It’s true we’re taking away their pain, but ending your baby’s life is exactly what we didn’t want and fought against. And when we reach the end, we want the process to be as smooth, peaceful, and painless as possible. If anything at all goes amiss, you end up questioning it and torture yourself with regrets and what ifs. It sounds like your baby was sickly for a while and it was her time. The way she had to go was traumatizing and adding to the shock. It’ll take a while for the shock to wear off, and the loss to really sink in. I know it’s terrifying right now, but you will continue to live, breathe, and put one foot in front of the other. Take it an hour or a minute at a time if you have to. You will survive.

I, too, had a soulmate named Leroy, who stuck by my side from the moment I moved to Philadelphia from Japan. In May, I had to put him to sleep due to brain cancer, 3 weeks after diagnosis. It shattered my world and changed the way I view life forever. The guilt and anger I feel towards myself for failing him and killing him is astronomical. I will never forgive myself, and that is ok. I just take it day by day.

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I lost my kitty yesterday too and I know how you are feeling. It is often harder to loose a cat than a human. At least know that her worst moments were not long (the pain was not drawn out for weeks or months) and she was able to be put to sleep at home. There was obviously nothing more you could have done so you won't have to question that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C coronet -- My deepest condolences for your loss.
The pain was only for awhile. It is over now, and I hope you share my belief that she is in a place of unimaginable beauty, peace, and goodness, surrounded by Love we cannot even begin to imagine and watching over you until you are reunited in due time.
All my life I have lived with cats, and many, many have left me. The leaving is never good, however it occurs. It can destroy us, the thinking about it. THEY would never want us to be like that. We grieve for our own loss. Your beloved is so loved always, and she knows this. Her bond with you will never be broken. May you in time be consoled by this knowledge, by the beautiful memories of the love you have shared and will always have. Love does not end. It is eternal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I am feeling very happy that her pain is now gone and that I gave her the best life I could. I'll miss her terribly, but I hope she's in a happier place now.

Thanks and big hugs to everyone.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I am feeling very happy that her pain is now gone and that I gave her the best life I could. I'll miss her terribly, but I hope she's in a happier place now.

Thanks and big hugs to everyone.
You can be absolutely sure that she IS. And you will meet again. Know that.

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so very sorry. My heart breaks for you. I am sending you the very best thoughts as you move through these next days. You guys were so lucky to have found each other x