My almost 2 month kitten keeps bothering the adult cats in the litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wait, what would white vinegar accomplish?
I don't want Spaska associating the litterboxes with any unpleasant smells or anything.

She also used to harass Mila A LOT, dunno if I posted about that here, so much so that I strongly considered rehoming her if needed, even tho I love them all so much, but Mila pinned her down good once and the harassment on Spaska's end was reduced. She still pesters Mila more than the other two, but that's because Mila reacts all panicky to it and Spaska thinks she is playing where as Casper and Kala just kinda slowly walk away when Spaska starts going crazy on them...if they can that is.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Mila can handle Spaska and will when she's ready.

The white vinegar is for spots that end up on things other than the litter box if Mila gets startled. When our boys became men - on the beds - white vinegar rinse in the laundry while they were at the vet getting that taken care of. Got the smell right out of the sheets and blanket.

Since you said Mila smacked her, and has now explained things to Spaska. I do expect everything to be just fine. Actually, I think it already is and you have an extra bonding going on with Mila. Her life is good.

Spaska is beautiful and, I see has the bitety bite jaw. Good thing she's got other cats to learn manners from. Good thing you've got a camera and we can all enjoy seeing your beautiful cats.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
White vinegar isn't going to help if one of the adult cats starts going outside the litterbox due to stress or being cut off, sorry. That's something that should never happen.
And Mila smacked Spaska a while back when she was butting in, it solved nothing.

Sadly Spaska has been conditioned to run up to whoever is using the litterbox, so we'll see how that turns out.

Other than that as I said, they're all fine for the most part.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of one being cut off from the litter box now, not after the way you describ things going so well. I always found white vinegar helpful for when there were accidents usually from UTIs, which also resulted in a vet visit. One other time there was an accident was in the car when something in the engine exploded rather loudly. But she was in the carrier easy fix. These things happen. I was in no way intending to suggest that any of your adult cats would be run off from the litter box.

Your second paragraph post 41 made me think everything was going well.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally everything is going well, but Mila still gets cut off by Spaska unless I manage Spaska and Mila and ensure Mila goes when it's "safe".
On the subject of accidents, I understand white vinegar can clean it up and cover the smell that's fine, but if such an accident does happen and it happened due to stress from Spaska then we'd have a much bigger roblem on our hands which I am trying to prevent.

As I said, Spaska never stopped bothering Mila and Mila still feels uncomfortable and cuts off when Spaska butts in, hence why I shifted Mila's schedule in a way so that I can manage the situation and if needed separate Spaska when I see Mila entering the litterbox or Separate Mila by closing the door behind her, whiever is quicker.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's wonderful the way you set up a schedule to let Mila go to the box alone and that you taught her that was what was available.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Something had to be done because Spaska is unteachable at this point lol
But we can't keep doing this forever, dunno how this is going to turn out which is what worries me

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping for the best, and will be looking forward to hearing how it works out.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spaska's harassment of Mila ramps up at times, here's a short clip of what I'd consider a normal spat between them.
Spaska attacked Mila when she was peacefully sleeping but it didn't escalate further.
This isn't that big a deal, but when it happens nonstop, as soon as Spaska sees Mila resting and now that doors are no obstacle for Spaska anymore I worry it might get worse before/if at all it gets better.
Still just sharing this video for fun because it's a fairly routine spat, I do try to distract them when this happens but Spaska always goes back to harassign Mila after she checks out the distraction

However Mila has been unable to sleep in the carriers like she has been for years because if Spaska sees her inside a carrier she attacks instantly and corners Mila which leads to Mila freaking out.
It's the reason I didn't want to get a hooded litterbox because I predicted this would happen.
The carrier thing is new as Mila only sleeps there when the weather gets colder.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're playing! Soon you'll have a sleek racing Persian. See how Mila is batting at Spaska? Those are play bats! She's teaching the baby to fight, to hunt and to be ready to live out there in the wide world. Mila's mothering Spaska. She adores her! Spaska waking Mila up is part of kitten to mom. Yes, we had a little family and saw them through from birth to crossing over. The play fighting/ spats will lessen as Spaska learns what Mila is trying to teach her. Lucky darling cats. Lovely video.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good to know because as I said, I know the video is normal cat interaction
but Mila gets absolutely furious with Spaska when she goes overboard, this isnt one of those times.
It's clear that raising persian kittens and a regular kitten is a night and day difference. This stuff never happened with Kala and Casper when they were little, they'd play fight sloooowly among each other, Mila would play fight with them too but she wouldn't do it like this or with so much noise, it was all slow, docile, calm.
She did beat up Casper once when he peed in the food bowl and she beat up Medo (one of the kittens we gave away) when he did something dumb but man it was never like what we have with Spaska

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mila just has a rowdy child now. I'm on her side and certain she's up to it. Our cat who was ready to die to protect her kittens and broke through a screen door to attack a cat who swore at them (they were grown at the time) did smack them across the room once or twice when they were young. Kittens roll and, apparently, mom cats play rough, but the lessons for survival are serious. Hope your guys never need them in the real world.

As long as there is no blood, you're good. I would say it was a good thing she taught Casper manners! Never had that happen in my house. Boys will be boys unless mom catches them.

No, I'm not trying to make you crazy and I know some of it's scary looking from the human POV, but you do remind of when the kits were young, and we were. It was the golden era.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_4992.JPG

Earlier Kala and Mila were sleeping when Spaska decided to wake Mila up for literally no reason, she woke her up, the proceeded to scratch on my computer chair with Mila sitting all confused there :) This is the fun part of having Spaska around.

I wish Mila would groom her but she doesn't, she has attempted to many times but Spaska just wants to play and Mila gives up.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spaska is 4 months old, soon to be 5 on the 1st and this behavior just won't go away :(
Snapped a photo but the moment I took the pic she turned her head because another cat was in another litterbox so she couldn't decide which cat to pester.

IMG_5144.JPG

The pic shows Kala taking a dump and Spaska being a nuisance
Mila still doesn't tolerate this but instead of hissing she walks off and holds it in which is a PROBLEM! I do have Mila scheduled for the most part but it doesn't always work out.

I dunno guys, everything else is fine except this
and it's not stopping

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything else is mostly great, but this just won't stop and I don't see how it could, she gets so ecstatic when they start digging.
Earlier Mila was peeing in one of the boxes, Spaska flew up to her, but didn't interfere, when Mila was about to bury her pee, Spaska popped her head in and started sniffing and burying it too so Mila just walked off.

So she has learned to wait until they're done peeing...SOMETIMES
but sometimes they poop after peeing and need to prepare the litter before doing so, that's when Spaska butts in and Mila gives up and starts holding it in, Kala still doesn't care, Casper sometimes gives up sometimes doesn't care.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned, especially for after she matures sexually
This could end up being a huge issue I fear.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything else is mostly great, but this just won't stop and I don't see how it could, she gets so ecstatic when they start digging.
Earlier Mila was peeing in one of the boxes, Spaska flew up to her, but didn't interfere, when Mila was about to bury her pee, Spaska popped her head in and started sniffing and burying it too so Mila just walked off.

So she has learned to wait until they're done peeing...SOMETIMES
but sometimes they poop after peeing and need to prepare the litter before doing so, that's when Spaska butts in and Mila gives up and starts holding it in, Kala still doesn't care, Casper sometimes gives up sometimes doesn't care.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned, especially for after she matures sexually
This could end up being a huge issue I fear.
We're facing the exact same problem with our recently adopted kitten, she's 12 weeks now and runs anytime she hears the litter box. I have to be on watch to distract her when I hear the cats go to the bathroom. We have 2 litterboxes downstairs and one upstairs but the adult cats won't use the litter box that is upstairs for some reason. How are things going for you now? Did Spaska grow out of it? Thank you!