My all black foster cat needs a forever home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
@cat0212 your cat looks small and has a really short nose like a Persian. Patrick is a big cat, probably 10 lbs or more, and while his nose is not long it is not as short as yours. Thank you for the good vibes, I'm still waiting for a reply from the people who are interested, I am hopeful.

catwoman707 catwoman707 I live south of Los Angeles so bringing him to you, over 300 miles, would be a hardship for me and I'm not sure how Patrick would take to a trip that far and long. He's pretty good about going to the vet, some 12 miles, and only cries while I carry him to the car because of the movement of the carrier but that long a trip would be hard on me also. (I'm almost 75). You might be right about his home while he was a kitten, I just know how he acted once he came here and by then he was about 2, and the tale I was told about where he came from and who knows how accurate that was.
After being here for about a year he was pretty good as long as I did not try to pick him up, he played with the other cats or bothered them (I have 2 18-year-olds who do not want to be bothered, an 8-year-old and a 12-year-old who do play) and sat next to me or close to me, played with toys in the living room, he still goes on the enclosed patio and still loves his catnip banana. He will still sits on top of the cat tree which is in the living room, will sit at the far side of the sofa, but lately he has become much more skittish than he used to be and cries and cowers in his room when I call him to go to his room where I feed him and lock him up for the night although he does run into his room when I call his name and say "in your room" as he knows I will give him his wet food dinner there. The reason I feed him and then lock him up in his room for the night is to make sure he is the one who eats the food with meds on it and to monitor his poops which he does during the night. If he was an only cat I would not have to do that, as it is I would not know who was doing what during the night and might not know he was again plugged up until he was way gone. In the morning he zips out and heads for the kibble bowl but never eats much at a time.
No, I do not want to put him down; apart from the occasional severe constipation which the vet has declared to be megacolon he does have a slight heart murmur but it is not severe, many cats (and people) have heart murmurs and live just like everybody else, many people don't even know they have one.
If the people who might take him decide not to would it be possible that you could meet me half way? That would mean just 150 miles both ways which is still quite a trip but I could do it, I go to San Diego several times a year and that is 78 miles one way and I go back and forth the same day (no traffic at 11 pm and I get home within an hour, yes, I do drive freeways and at night).
And by the way, none of the stuff to calm him down works anymore, worked for about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I certainly hope that somehow this will work out with catwoman707 catwoman707 searching for a home or foster for Patrick.

It's very kind of you to offer to meet halfway. :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checked and from here to Vallejo which is on the other side of San Francisco it's 450 miles via the 5 Freeway and 470 via 101 which is a more pleasant drive. So even half way would be a real stretch to do both ways in one day. Well, let's see what develops before we worry about it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt Yes- Sophie is a Persian and she is very small. She is 5 pounds soaking wet. She could be his little sister from another mother.. and father. :lol: I hope something pans out for dear Patrick. He seems like such a sweet boy. He is so lucky to have you

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been asked a couple of questions, is he indoor only or outdoors at all?
Does he have dog exposure?
Is he used to living with other cats?

Too bad you couldn't put him on a plane. Def a long drive.

Also wanted to mention, has the vet ever told you that feeding him wet food only might stop the constipation issue?
Canned pate food has between 75-80% water content, vs dry with less than 15% and takes water from his system to process it too, and with my CKD senior girl, I add warm water to her pate food and mash it in, it has helped her maintain fluid intake a good deal, probably delayed having to give sub-q fluids prior as well.
Just an idea.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I have a home for him in Tracy. You will need to drive him up to Santa Clarita, which is 2 hrs, 40 mins from you.
From there I have a chain who will get him to Tracy. A great home!
I ask that you send me a private message with your name and phone number to give to the person in Santa Clarita so you two can work out a day/time that works.
Success!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been asked a couple of questions, is he indoor only or outdoors at all?
Does he have dog exposure?
Is he used to living with other cats?

Too bad you couldn't put him on a plane. Def a long drive.

Also wanted to mention, has the vet ever told you that feeding him wet food only might stop the constipation issue?
Canned pate food has between 75-80% water content, vs dry with less than 15% and takes water from his system to process it too, and with my CKD senior girl, I add warm water to her pate food and mash it in, it has helped her maintain fluid intake a good deal, probably delayed having to give sub-q fluids prior as well.
Just an idea.
Patrick is strictly indoors and does not even try to go out the front door. I live on the second floor with an enclosed patio with view of trees and grass, bunnies and birds galore. Due to coyotes hardly anyone lets their cats outside and tries to walk small dogs in groups and in daylight hours only.
No dog exposure at all. One friendly one sometimes passes the door but Patrick is usually asleep at that time and he takes off whenever he sees somebody approaching the door anyway.
I have two 18 yr old cats who do not want to be bothered and a 8 yr old and a 12 yr old who chase him and are being chased by him but no cuddling or other playing. No fighting either, hardly ever a hiss, that usually comes from the 18 year old Persian when he bothers her.

He has megacolon which means he has a large colon but only a small anus so his stools need to be soft for him to be able to push them out. He gets 1/2 teaspoon generic MiraLax on his wet food dinner thinned down with more water. During the day there is kibble and a water fountain available. He and the other cats eat Natural Balance cat food.

Let me wait until I get notice from the people who said they would let me know by the end of the week if they would take him. They live only about 25 miles from here and I would still be able to see him and see how he is doing. And maybe get a new friend to boot. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So finally, after a year and a half of stressing about this cat, you now have one definite offer and another potential offer. Wow!

When will you hear from the local offer?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So finally, after a year and a half of stressing about this cat, you now have one definite offer and another potential offer. Wow!

When will you hear from the local offer?

Hopefully I will hear by the end of the week from the local people. I would much rather if he stayed around here with people I have met than go to someone who is far away. I am also not particularly thrilled about a chain of handlers before Patrick would finally get to where he is wanted. He may be totally freaked out by then.
catwoman707 catwoman707 I'm sure you understand that I want the best for Patrick, I am not trying to suggest you would not have an excellent new mom for him.
I had also asked the local no-kill shelter, a very fine one, to post him but have not received a response.

By the way: my avatar is Panthera, not Patrick who has much longer hair and a different face.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes you have to set aside your concerns and put your trust and faith in other people who are going out of their way to help you, but who also have the best interests of the cat in mind.

I'm sure that Patrick's new home would want to not only talk with you about his health issues, but would also be willing to share photos and updates.

The transport would not last long and Patrick would forget all about it.

catwoman707 catwoman707 knows a lot of people from her many years of rescue work in CA. She would not steer you wrong.

Perhaps your local connection will pan out. It's the end of the work week today. Hopefully you'll hear this weekend.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got an e-mail that the local person cannot take him. She showed his medical record to her vet who said Patrick "has been in a lot of pain for a long time and will need surgery to repair his megacolon". While I somewhat doubt that vet's words without having seen him or his xrays I cannot blame that person with going with her vet's opinion. So I will contact Catwoman707 and go from there.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have a home for him in Tracy. You will need to drive him up to Santa Clarita, which is 2 hrs, 40 mins from you.
I ask that you send me a private message with your name and phone number to give to the person in Santa Clarita so you two can work out a day/time that works.
Success!
I sent you a PM today

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Success!

I sent you a PM but have not heard anything from you since then. I've gotten used to the idea that Patrick will not be here much longer and am wondering what is the hold-up?