My Adrianne's Story

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Disclaimer: Her story is a bit of a long one, but I assure you it's worth the read! Thanks in advance for sticking it through.

Basically immediately upon losing my cat of 16 years, I began searching for a new kitty to love. Being in my apartment all alone was unbearable and I knew the only way that I was going to move on was to bring another kitty into my life. So, I took to the internet and simply googled "Cats for adoption in {my city}".  The top link that came back was Craigslist. Knowing it was an absolute waste of time--what else could I do but click on the link? Well, I did and started filtering through all the kittens for sale, sad re-homing tales, etc. to find a jewel of an ad from our local shelter!

It was titled "Cats of the Week"  (I later learned that it was just one of the 1000 ways they get their name out there. The cats are all assigned a number and so she would go numerically through them until each had a rotation- 5 at a time.)  and my Adrianne was one that was listed. It did not give any description of the cats themselves- just their pictures and info about the shelter. However, I could not get Adrianne's face out of my mind. I went on looking at other sites (and later other shelters too!) but kept coming back to her picture- so I sent an email asking for more information on Adrianne.

I did not get much back on her. In fact the exact thing I was told upon being approved to adopt was to "bring a carrier should I chose to find companion to take home". The big adoption day came (in reality it was only five days after losing my kitty, but in my world it felt like 2 eternities) and I was ready. In fact, I had not slept but two hours the night before I was so anxiously excited. I cleaned my entire household from top to bottom as if I was expecting my brand new Mother in law rather than a cat from a shelter.

My dad insisted upon coming with me. The whole way there- all 30ish minutes, lol- all I could talk about was Adrianne and the two facts I knew about her- she was a nine year old cat that had been at the shelter for awhile. He tried his best to talk me out of it. He just watched me lose my cat & wanted me to start over again with a kitten, not get another old cat that may not live all that long. But my mind was set. I just KNEW she had special meaning to me...I just did not know what.

So, we get there and are taken back to the room where the cats are kept. I was expecting cages, but it was more like a free for all cat sanctuary. As soon as we walk in we had cats climbing our legs and jumping on our backs, rubbing against us demanding attention etc. My dad kept picking them up and saying "Heather, how about this one?" as a last ditch effort to get me to pick any one but Adrianne.

I pointed to a cat that was similar to the picture of Adrianne and asked if that was her. The lady replied "No, that's _, Adrianne is over here" and walked directly to a four tiered high plastic storage shelf looking thing  draped with blankets for a comfy sleeping place. She bent down to the 2nd shelf nearest to the ground and pulled out a fluff ball. I asked her how she knew Adrianne would be there and she finally explained that it was because that was her shelf and she only left it to eat or use the litter boxes. Other than that, she would just tuck herself in right there and ignore absolutely everything around her. I asked her for how long she had been that way & she replied "She's always been like that- since we first got her as a kitten." 9 full years of life on a shelf. I couldn't imagine. She said that was why she had never been adopted- no body wants to come in and hunt for a cat off a shelf, they just pick the first one that comes up to them and makes an impression. She figured I would be the same way. I asked to hold her and she passed her over. As soon as I touched her all I felt was matts- everywhere. My entire heart broke. I looked at my dad and his exact words were "We're leaving here with that damn cat, aren't we?" You bet ya! I kept her name because after 9 years, why change it?

I asked her if she would help me shave her down before we left. I knew the matts needed to be removed and did not want that to be her first introduction to me in my house. She agreed and we got to work!! Adrianne was fantastic- purred the entire time we were doing it. I was amazed- still am actually. Then, I was told one last piece of info- Adrianne was found outside the shelter when she was a kitten. She had a broken leg and although sought vet treatment, there really wasn't anything they could do. It did not heal quite normal & she had a limp- which means she could not jump up on things. This was fate, I tell you. The cat I just had to have put down had hip dyplasia and also could not jump so I had stairs built for him that she could now use! (Also, I took her to my vet for an introduction upon getting her and he looked at that leg- his thoughts was that someone purposefully stepped down on her with intent to cause harm).

I got her home and the first week she spent under my bed. By day 6 though, she finally came to see me. By day 10 would let me pet her while sitting on the bed. By day 30 she learned how to use the stairs aTnd came to visit me when the lights were out- never when they were on though! By day 45, I caught her playing with a hair tie. As far as anyone knew-- that could have been her first play session ever! By day 60 she would lay on my lap on the couch for about 10 minutes. It took her 6 months to fall asleep on my lap & one full year before she would let me pick her up and carry her from one room to another. She still won't let me walk anywhere near her when she is on the ground. If I get within two feet of her she will jump up and get out of the way. It's heartbreaking that that fear of getting stepped on is still there 10 years after the fact & will never leave her. One dumb human has ruined her trust for life.

I'm lucky to be her owner. I truly feel as if she was the most perfect cat that God could give me after losing my other precious kitty. I did not know how to be the pet owner to another animal. She did not know how to be a pet. We both had patience with each other & figured it out a day at a time. It' s a journey I will never regret experiencing & the joy that I get each and every time that she cuddles with me is indescribable because I know how difficult it is to earn that trust and am honored to be the recipient of it.

THANKS FOR STAYING TO THE END!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started crying at the nine years in a shelf paragraph, then through the matted fur, the tears continued on thru the broken leg and distrust of humans....there were more tears at the last paragraph but these were the good tears, the happy ones because against all odds, Adrianne found the love of her life in you heathernichelle heathernichelle [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Thank you for seeing past the "imperfections" and having the patience to let Adrianne grow and blossom at her own pace. Thank you for sharing that wonderful story of love and kindness.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a wonderful story! My heart would always warm when someone at adoptions would be drawn to the quiet cat hiding in the back of the cage and could not resist them. It's so wonderful that you found Adrianne and made her life so much better! I hope she goes on to have more than 9 years of a happy life off the shelf with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all- truly! However, I am really the one that is blessed by having her in my life. She is constantly surprising me and showing more and more personality each day. I'm glad that I get to be the one to be her owner- I'm just sorry it had taken 9 years for me to find her!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story!!!! This remind me of me and Sylvester...I think I am going to post his story on here too, you have inspired me! I know I've talked about him in various other threads but I want to give him his "headlining" story too!!!