My adorable bengal/Persian kitten needs help

Jordan2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
https://gofund.me/6d003c5b

Hi,

my name is Mo and i have a 6.5 month old adorable bengal/Persian mix. He is an adorable loving kitten that loves to snuggle with me and loves to give me kisses. Anytime i come home from work he gets excited and knows he has my heart. He is a curious little kitten that loves to play with his scratch post and ball tower.

Leo has had a difficult time eating the past couple days (Sunday and Monday) and threw up three times yesterday (monday). I took him to the local emergency vet clinic and they recommended an abdominal ultrasound to rule out a foreign body in his intestines, and also recommended a couple medications to help with his throwing up and slight dehydration.

The vet quoted me the total cost I nearly fainted. The total cost was around $800.
So now I’m $800 in the negative. So i made the decision to purchase trupanion health insurance for my little guy.

I am a full time student and working part time so this will definitely be putting me in some debt.

The vet hospital gave me 4 cans of wet gastrointestinal ultra soft kitten food to take home on Monday. Luckily he did start to eat that after coming home from the hospital. They told me to feed him small amounts frequently. He’s 3.2kg and i guess the feeding guide is 1.5 cans a day? He’s been eating only this wet food for the past day. Maybe i put too much food on his plate and that made him puke again today. But he did have a good 24 hours of no puking after coming back from the vet hospital.

i am getting worried.
Any advice is appreciated. It’s late at night and i just emailed my vet.

i hope it’s nothing because my trupanion coverage doesn’t truly kick in for another 29 days and Im not sure if i can afford another expensive bill.

If anyone is interested in supporting Leo, any little help is truly appreciated. I hope to see my little fur baby feel better soon so i can be less stressed.

thank you so much.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Leo certainly is adorable! And I am so sorry that Leo's issues have brought you to this site. Have you talked to the vet about a payment plan by chance? Some will and some won't. Can you apply for a care credit? Maybe you can find some other assistance through these options -
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite
Financial Aid for Pets | Best Friends Animal Society
24+ Resources For Free Or Low Cost Veterinary Care - Low Income Relief
Financial Assistance Information | Best Friends Network Partners
Pet Care Credit Card and Financing - CareCredit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jordan2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Leo certainly is adorable! And I am so sorry that Leo's issues have brought you to this site. Have you talked to the vet about a payment plan by chance? Some will and some won't. Can you apply for a care credit? Maybe you can find some other assistance through these options -
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite
Financial Aid for Pets | Best Friends Animal Society
24+ Resources For Free Or Low Cost Veterinary Care - Low Income Relief
Financial Assistance Information | Best Friends Network Partners
Pet Care Credit Card and Financing - CareCredit
I did ask them and they said they don’t provide payment plans unfortunately

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your health insurance on the cat most likely will not cover any preexisting conditions. I hope you are aware of that.
And don't get overly concerned about the puking. My cat will barf on occasion because he ate 2 much. I've learned to space his meal times.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
also recommended a couple medications to help with his throwing up and slight dehydration.
Will he consume kitten glop, if your vet approves it? Here is one recipe although there are others
and note an adjustment for older kittens
Kitty Glop | 7th Heaven Cats
For older kittens and adult cats, you can also mix the Kitty Glop with meat baby food (only the kind with just meat and broth) or other highly palatable, smooth pate type of food, appropriate for syringing - or finely blended unseasoned cooked chicken w/broth

This might help as well
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jordan2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your health insurance on the cat most likely will not cover any preexisting conditions. I hope you are aware of that.
And don't get overly concerned about the puking. My cat will barf on occasion because he ate 2 much. I've learned to space his meal times.
ya i do realize that with regards to insurance, although the lady on the phone said they don’t consider his throwing up a “pre-existing” condition.

thankfully today he has not puked so that’s a good sign.

i will talk to my vet about the recommendations you guys have provided.

thank you so much

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From the sounds of it, you DID have the ultrasound done, correct? And there was no blockage? So they gave him an anti nausea medication and some fluids and that special food and sent you two home? Do I have that all correct? And now he will only eat the special food? From reading your post here, this is what I gather, but from reading your Gofundme, I'm thinking he still hasn't had the ultrasound done. IF he doesn't vomit with every meal, and IF he is peeing and pooping normally, he probably isn't blocked, or completely blocked, but there could still be something in there. An xray should be able to determine that though, if there is a foreign object in him.

One word of advice, if at all possible, don't go to an Emergency Vet. They are so much more expensive than a regular Vet. I know sometimes it's your only option, but if there is any other way, go see a regular Vet. When you said you will talk to your Vet about thing suggested above, did you mean the Emergency Vet, or do you have a regular Vet? (of course, I also don't know how things work in Canada, but suspect all this is true)

You might want to start another post in our Health Forum if he continues to vomit and give us more details on how long after eating it's happening, whether or not there is food in it, color, etc. A lot of people here might not read this particular forum but might read the Health Forum and have some thoughts for you.

One last thought, if you could at least donate $5 yourself, or have a friend do it, that might get the ball rolling on your gofundme. Often that's all it takes. When people look at it and don't see that anyone has donated, for some reason, they often just don't donate. Don't ask me why

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.