My 9 Year Old Male Cat

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet 9 year old male indoor cat named Harry over last 2 weeks has stopped eating normally and drinking water. He was prior to me bringing him to vet peeing a lot in the litter box and crying after he got done. He stopped eating as much this week so the vet made a house call. Vet gave him sub q fluids, anti nausea and Convena. They also took a blood sample. Had a super hard time getting blood from since he was so dehydrated. The next morning he ate dry food for the first time in 2 weeks. He was drinking water prior to vet visit now not drinking. I got over my phobia of needles and gave him some sub q fluids. He has eaten treats when I gave them to him after the sub q fluids. He once again ate dry food this morning and some warmed baby food but won’t drink anything. I added water to the baby food he ate some of it. He is peeing and did do number two. I’m wondering if he’s reacting to being poked and prodded or the Convena made him worse. His blood work came back no kidney failure nor no diabetes. His glucose is super low. Wondering since he lives in a multi cat house if he might have a bad UTI or I hate to say it the C word. He’s super alert not staying by himself. He is a little lethargic. Just looking for answers.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try canned tuna in water or even canned chicken in water. Since he is dehydrated, he needs more than just the dried food. Good for you on the sub-q fluids! Keep it up!! That might just be the key in turning him around.

The Covenia might need some time to start working if he was just recently given it. The low glucose could be attributed to his lack of eating, so the more he eats (and drinks) the better. A urinalysis and urine culture can better tell you if Covenia is the right treatment for him. And, yes, Covenia can cause lethargy and loss of appetite. You might ask the vet about an appetite stimulant.

Don't go to the C word. While it is a possibility, there are many other ones as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. Having sites like this are a blessing for pet parents.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This my Harry and Gracie. Harry is the gray Tuxedo.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try canned tuna in water or even canned chicken in water. Since he is dehydrated, he needs more than just the dried food. Good for you on the sub-q fluids! Keep it up!! That might just be the key in turning him around.

The Covenia might need some time to start working if he was just recently given it. The low glucose could be attributed to his lack of eating, so the more he eats (and drinks) the better. A urinalysis and urine culture can better tell you if Covenia is the right treatment for him. And, yes, Covenia can cause lethargy and loss of appetite. You might ask the vet about an appetite stimulant.

Don't go to the C word. While it is a possibility, there are many other ones as well.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I need to give him time to heal if possible. I just started giving him an appetite stimulant last night. He’s eating a little. More in the morning less during the day. I now have to keep the other cat from eating his food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This my Harry and Gracie. Harry is the gray Tuxedo.
LOVE THEM!!!! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

I guess I need to give him time to heal if possible. I just started giving him an appetite stimulant last night. He’s eating a little. More in the morning less during the day. I now have to keep the other cat from eating his food.
Just keep us posted and let us know what is going on!! If we can't do anything else, we can at least be support for you and your 'sounding board'.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Give it some time. Cats are not engines, they need time to recover after a “repair.” Any antibiotic needs time to work; you may not see improvement for a day or two. Keep doing what you are doing. Your beautiful Harry may not feel the need to drink now that he’s gotten fluids. Keep adding water to his food. And please let us know what happens.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give it some time. Cats are not engines, they need time to recover after a “repair.” Any antibiotic needs time to work; you may not see improvement for a day or two. Keep doing what you are doing. Your beautiful Harry may not feel the need to drink now that he’s gotten fluids. Keep adding water to his food. And please let us know what happens.
Thank you so much. It helps to know that there others who love their animals like family.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s so hard when you love someone so much to see them not themselves. The vet gave me an appetite stimulant for Harry. He’s still barely eating.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know I am only adding to your misery, but most antibiotics should be taken with a bit of food in order to prevent stomach upset and potential nausea. If the Covenia was via injection, it still can make him feel a bit unwell - as I said before common side effects can include lethargy and loss of appetite.

While the typical appetite stimulants used anymore are Mirtazapine or cyproheptadine and generally are known to cause restlessness, there are other cats who have the opposite happen - sleepiness and lethargy, which could very well lead to eating less.

Give him some time - as said before - and make sure the keep watch on his hydration. And, don't forget to try all kinds of human foods or baby meat foods, if need be, to get him to eat something.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s as if time stands still when someone is sick. He still runs to the litter box every time he eats a little. I gave him chicken water last night. He ate it and drunk some of the water. I have to keep reminding myself it takes time. I don’t think he’s in pain. He stays right by me as I work all day. Just so hard to see and watch knowing he’s not well. The original vet said let’s redo his blood work. I have decided to take him back to the original vet who used to see him as a kitten. I want his opinion if necessary will have an X-ray done. Thank you all I just need to remind myself not to obsess about everything about him but it’s hard.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
92B8CADF-B57D-4830-B593-FF8615F2A9C0.jpeg
As I have been down this path once before I have to remind myself to focus on living not their sickness. Harry is still caring on his normally daily routine which makes me happy. He’s eating more. It truly is one day at a time. We start the day with pets and positive accolades which Harry loves. Animals ask for so little but give so much. My handsome boy Harry continues to amaze me with his beautiful spirit. I will still bring him to his original vet tomorrow because I think it’s the right thing to do. I held a lot of guilt for many years not being proactive enough about my late kitty passing from bladder cancer. I’m truly thankful for sites like this to hear from other pet parents.

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s a roller coaster when someone is sick. Today, Harry threw up and just felt miserable afterwards he ate and jumped in the windowsill. I believe the antibiotics are wearing off so I called the vet they placed an online order which takes 3-6 days. I’m like 3-6 days is too long so I left a message with other vet to see if they would honor his prescription fingers crossed they do. Harry is in the closet which which worries me. I have this tendency to baby him too much. I stopped for a moment and looked at those beautiful green eyes and decided maybe he just needed to rest. Life is such a balancing act. I’m more inclined now to believe it’s either one wicked bacterial infection or Leukemia. I had to stop and remind myself crying over him not eating won’t make it any better but I’m human and it crushes you when someone you love so much is ill. Especially someone so little. I’m blessed enough to have this beautiful soul in my life. I keep telling myself if it’s time I have to accept it. Maybe he just needs another round of antibiotics and I’m just being overly dramatic but it’s hard when this little being means so much to me. Thank god for this site.