My 9-10 month old has stopped eating out of her dish!

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am rather confused here, My 9-10 month old girl Kali has stopped eating her food out of her dish. I notice it more about the moist food (because they sit and eat it kinda quickly)

I have 3 kitties, They eat in the same vicinity, never had any issues with food aggression or anything. I watch them eat because my 7 yr old boy (Tiger) is overweight and if my 2 girls (age 20 months (Ivory) and 9/10 months (Kali)) don't finish I pick up their dishes and put it where they can get it but Tiger can't.

This has been happening consistently for about a week now. I tried changing the dish, making notes about the flavor of the canned food, tried a saucer that doesn't have sides.

I have not noticed weightloss or anything, she is still a frisky, mischievous kitten. She will eat the moist food off my fingers or a fork or spatula... I don't know if I should just let it go because she will eat some dry food that is kept up away where Tiger cannot get it.

They eat 4 times a day, 6 am, 1/8th c. dry, 12 pm 25 grams moist food, 6 pm 1/8th c dry, 10-11pm 25-30 grams moist.

Every 2-3 days they get more moist (around 50 grams) I am/was decreasing the amount of moist, they used to get 3 5.5 oz cans a day, now on the higher days they get 2 cans or most days 1 can (split between the 3 kitties, Tiger gets less (like Ivory-24 g. Kali- 25-27 g. Tiger- 20-21 g.)

I know I am very obsessive about measuring and stuff, Tiger is significantly overweight at 18.5 lbs. 

Kali is pretty normal sized around 8.5 lbs now... she will be 1 in may.  

I just don't know what to do or if I should worry (not likely to stop lol) Today I literally picked up bits in my hand and fed it to her, she was hungry but she would walk away from her dish. I moved it away from the other 2 and still no.

Okay seriously I had tuna a few days ago and put tuna water in the dishes for them all and she wouldn't touch it. She had a little off a saucer but I am just SO CONFUSED.

They have a water fountain too so I don't believe she is dehydrated. She is using the litter box normally. Umm I have seen her eat some dry food off the counter so I know she is eating some.

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated!

Should I take her to the vet? Her cat daddy said to not worry she will eat when she gets hungry... he pays for her vet visits (he rescued her and I adopted her from him).

Umm had some chicken lunch meat 2 days ago I think and she was crazy ravenous eating it... like trying to take it from Ivory and Tiger... very out of the ordinary for her. They don't get lunch meat hardly at all but she hasn't acted like that with it before.

Thanks

~Kristi

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Is your kitten not eating out the bowl because a she's not hungry or is she acting frightened of the food dish ? Meaning she goes up to the bowl wanting to eat but keeps backing off and staring at the bowl.

What type of dishes do you use - metal, plastic or ceramic ?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
As you have already tried different shapes of bowl and no sides, and suggestion of thinking around material they are made of and whether other cats are affecting her I will concentrate on other areas.  

Do you think she has been eating more dry food to make up for not eating as much of the wet food?  Some cats do have a preference if it is there.  Also, has she had any coughs or sneezes or runny eyes / signs of respiratory infection even if very mild?  Sometimes cats can go off food because they can't smell it.  I'm pretty sure Mouse doesn't have a good sense of smell and doesn't have much interest in food unless it is interactive like when I throw it rather than it sitting in a bowl.  He's not good at smelling where it is and needs to track the movement and catch it to generate interest.  He only picks at his bowl if there is no alternative.  Partly my fault for pandering to him and partly because he just isn't that good at finding static food!

The other thing that can cause some eating changes might be if she is upset and depressed in some way, perhaps if there have been changes in the home and she is missing a person or another animal?

If she doesn't seem to be picking up on her eating, looses weight or seems to have any tenderness of swelling in her belly area I would take her to the vet, but if you are concerned then call them up and ask.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you used or do you use a strong dishwashing detergent to wash your cat dishes?

Some are orange scented and some flowery..dishwashing detergents..

We use 7th generation free and clear dishwashing detergent

Target has it..and many online places..healthfood sites.

It has no scent or fragrance..

we use that for feeding dishes and water dishes to clean them

and rinse well..

Sheri T

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As you have already tried different shapes of bowl and no sides, and suggestion of thinking around material they are made of and whether other cats are affecting her I will concentrate on other areas.  

Do you think she has been eating more dry food to make up for not eating as much of the wet food?  Some cats do have a preference if it is there.  Also, has she had any coughs or sneezes or runny eyes / signs of respiratory infection even if very mild?  Sometimes cats can go off food because they can't smell it.  I'm pretty sure Mouse doesn't have a good sense of smell and doesn't have much interest in food unless it is interactive like when I throw it rather than it sitting in a bowl.  He's not good at smelling where it is and needs to track the movement and catch it to generate interest.  He only picks at his bowl if there is no alternative.  Partly my fault for pandering to him and partly because he just isn't that good at finding static food!

The other thing that can cause some eating changes might be if she is upset and depressed in some way, perhaps if there have been changes in the home and she is missing a person or another animal?

If she doesn't seem to be picking up on her eating, looses weight or seems to have any tenderness of swelling in her belly area I would take her to the vet, but if you are concerned then call them up and ask.
Thank you for responding! :) I can continue to try different areas, I have moved her more into the kitchen, a few times across the kitchen (probably 10 feet away from the others). I saw her eating dry food today, probably for about a minute. She may be eating enough of it. She follows me out to the kitchen/area they eat when I go near there. I am afraid she is hungry.

She has no signs of a cold or anything, no sneezing either. I do know if a cat cannot smell it can be dangerous because they won't eat what they can't smell.

I am afraid that she will become dependent on my feeding her with a utensil or my fingers. If I go away overnight or something will she be eating?

No changes in my apartment, umm about 3 weeks ago they all had a treatment of Profender. Ivory had worms so I treated all 3.

It is just me and my kitties, I don't believe she has lost any weight, she was 8.5lbs yesterday. No swelling or tenderness other than the irritation of me feeling her belly lol

I will talk to her Cat Daddy again and see if his views change about possibly taking her in. Ohh she is spayed too, was at 6 months.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does she wear a collar with a bell or name tag on ?? I'm just thinking maybe if she does the name tag might have hit the bowl and made a noise that frightened her. So now she associates the bowl with that "clang" sound.

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Have you used or do you use a strong dishwashing detergent to wash your cat dishes?

Some are orange scented and some flowery..dishwashing detergents..

We use 7th generation free and clear dishwashing detergent

Target has it..and many online places..healthfood sites.

It has no scent or fragrance..

we use that for feeding dishes and water dishes to clean them

and rinse well..

Sheri T
I know this is probably not the greatest but I usually soak their dishes in hot water then wash them out with just running water. No soap. I worry too much about chemicals :/ 
Does she wear a collar with a bell or name tag on ?? I'm just thinking maybe if she does the name tag might have hit the bowl and made a noise that frightened her. So now she associates the bowl with that "clang" sound.
All of my kitties wear collars, none have bells or tags :/

I talked to Kalis' Cat Daddy he said she will eat when she is hungry enough, not to worry...

I know I am a worrier, I am not totally stressing (yet lol) but I am just confused as to why she won't eat out of dishes anymore... I guess I will see how before bed feeding goes and maybe move her farther away from the others.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dandy seemed to be having some problems with her little dish so we changed but that doesn't sound like your issue.  (She was shoving the food onto her placemat and eating it.)

I usually spray her bowl with the diluted Dr. Bronners I have for fruits although it gets Dawn once in awhile and rinse it with hot water. We aren't that fanatical, it's just easier. If there's some issue with that routine, let me know. It's Almond Dr. B's.  That peppermint is powerful.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds a little from what her catdaddy says that she has always been a bit like this.  If there is no sign of any blockage and she isn't loosing weight I would just keep and eye on her and make sure she is taking food in, even if it tends to be the dry stuff and if there is somewhere that she seems to prefer to snack from if you are not around.

Mouse doesn't eat a lot other than what I hand feed him by throwing but he will eat from his bowl when I'm not in for several hours or if he's hungry and I'm asleep in bed.  If the other cats don't eat the dry food Kalis chooses to eat it might be worth weighing out her food and checking how much it goes down by.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there's no medical issue it might just be the dish. My Moon only likes wet food on a plate. And I never fill his bowl because once he's licked the bowl, he wants a clean bowl for the next meal. So I only feed him a tablespoon at a time three or four times a day. And he hates plastic or bowls that are too deep. I get his China at the thrift store. I'd want a clean dish every meal too so I don't care. I get them for a buck each.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the cheapest Styrofoam small plates I can find so everyone gets their own plate and then they get thrown. Cats are very sensitive to smells so detergent possibly could cause them to avoid dishes. 

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Dandy seemed to be having some problems with her little dish so we changed but that doesn't sound like your issue.  (She was shoving the food onto her placemat and eating it.)

I usually spray her bowl with the diluted Dr. Bronners I have for fruits although it gets Dawn once in awhile and rinse it with hot water. We aren't that fanatical, it's just easier. If there's some issue with that routine, let me know. It's Almond Dr. B's.  That peppermint is powerful.
Hmm Have never heard of Dr. Bronners, I will look it up. Yeah I probably wouldn't do peppermint it is usually a really powerful scent. Thank you!

It sounds a little from what her catdaddy says that she has always been a bit like this.  If there is no sign of any blockage and she isn't loosing weight I would just keep and eye on her and make sure she is taking food in, even if it tends to be the dry stuff and if there is somewhere that she seems to prefer to snack from if you are not around.

Mouse doesn't eat a lot other than what I hand feed him by throwing but he will eat from his bowl when I'm not in for several hours or if he's hungry and I'm asleep in bed.  If the other cats don't eat the dry food Kalis chooses to eat it might be worth weighing out her food and checking how much it goes down by.
No, Tom (Cat Daddy) hasn't been around for Kalis feedings since last August besides the week I was away in december. Tom saved her from a feral male that killed any kittens that were not his offspring. Kalis mom is feral as well. Kalis 3 litter mates were killed by the feral male. He happened to find them and then found Kali in a deep hole nearby. He kept her in the basement and brought her out to the momma 3-4 times a day. Momma nursed but wouldn't let anyone near her. So she would run away if Tom opened the door (a glass sliding door). (He feeds about 9 ferals, he has been able to trap and spay/neuter a few of them) 
If there's no medical issue it might just be the dish. My Moon only likes wet food on a plate. And I never fill his bowl because once he's licked the bowl, he wants a clean bowl for the next meal. So I only feed him a tablespoon at a time three or four times a day. And he hates plastic or bowls that are too deep. I get his China at the thrift store. I'd want a clean dish every meal too so I don't care. I get them for a buck each.
I am not believing a medical issue yet. I guess she is being finicky/fussy.  I got out my plastic cutting board last night and she at a little of the moist food off that. This morning she surprised me and ate breakfast (dry at 6-7 am) out of her bowl. So at 12-1 I thought I would just try to give her dry again. She ate a couple pieces and walked away but then came back when Tiger was finishing (he takes the longest). And she went over and licked his bowl so I went and got one of the bowls (they all have the same type) and put some of the moist food in it. She ate a little. I AM SO HAPPY LOL umm she didn't eat dinner though... and she didn't finish the amount she normally gets at lunch. I will see how bedtime meal goes... it is moist food time... I guess I will just keep trying to get her to eat... maybe it is just a finicky phase or something. ???

I buy the cheapest Styrofoam small plates I can find so everyone gets their own plate and then they get thrown. Cats are very sensitive to smells so detergent possibly could cause them to avoid dishes. 
Good idea! Thank you!

Thank you all so MUCH! I guess I am just going to keep a close eye on my baby girl. Make sure she is eating something. Keep an eye on her weight as well.

I am so glad I found this website!!

<3

=^..^=

Kristi

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spoke too soon :( Last night she failed to eat bedtime meal... I got her to eat about 1/4 of it from a fork... 

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uggg just wouldn't eat lunch :( I got her to eat about 90% of it off a fork

Do you think it is wrong or not good to keep feeding her off a fork?

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am still having problems with Kali eating moist foods out of dishes... She will eat it off a fork or tiny bits that fall off onto the floor... and she acts really hungry when I bend down close to her... I don't want her to be only eating from a fork but I don't want her to go without eating... any ideas?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't tried something like Fortiflora for cats that might be worth a go as it attracts cats to their food.  

Only other thing I can think of is if she has always been slower to eat wet food - what is her tongue like?  Is it really raspy like most cats of a smoother surface?  Mouse seems to find wet food harder to eat and his tongue is much smoother than the average cat.  I think it makes it harder for him to get the food out of the bowl.

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you haven't tried something like Fortiflora for cats that might be worth a go as it attracts cats to their food.  

Only other thing I can think of is if she has always been slower to eat wet food - what is her tongue like?  Is it really raspy like most cats of a smoother surface?  Mouse seems to find wet food harder to eat and his tongue is much smoother than the average cat.  I think it makes it harder for him to get the food out of the bowl.
I have never heard of Fortiflora I will look it up... She is eating dry food out of one dish more regularly... I am not totally sure about her tongue she doesn't lick me like Ivory does. It might be harder to pick up... I do hold the fork up to her mouth level... hmmm

Out of maybe 8-10 feeding moist food she will eat out of the dish maybe 1 time.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It may be nothing more than her preferring dry food; many cats do.  With Mouse he does seem to find it harder to lick up wet food and often catches / picks up kibble with his paws to eat and if taking from floor or bowl he will pick up in his front teeth.  His tongue  doesn't look like it picks up food as easily as it would if it was more rough.  I only realized when he would 'groom' me and it didn't feel really raspy like it did with my previous cats.

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It may be nothing more than her preferring dry food; many cats do.  With Mouse he does seem to find it harder to lick up wet food and often catches / picks up kibble with his paws to eat and if taking from floor or bowl he will pick up in his front teeth.  His tongue  doesn't look like it picks up food as easily as it would if it was more rough.  I only realized when he would 'groom' me and it didn't feel really raspy like it did with my previous cats.
Hmm perhaps this is what is going on... and eating the moist off the fork is just easier for her ?? 

If she sticks more to dry food should I worry about her protein amounts? I feed them all Friskies Weight Management and sometimes Purina One Weight management... usually mix the two. I try to stick to the weight management food because of Mr. Tiger... it is really hard to buy more different types of food and keeping them separate and stuff would be difficult.