My 8-week old kitten is suddenly uncharacteristically crying out

cookiedottie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 8-week old kitten is suddenly more vocal than before although this happened suddenly in the middle of the day. I am not sure what causes his pain but if i touch the side of his face, he flinches like it sets off the pain. I have a hunch that it could be because he is teething but im not really sure. There are no currently available vets so i could only ask for some insights and advice for the time being.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to actually look in his mouth? I know that is a tall order though and don't blame you if you can't. He may have something stuck inside his mouth and can't get it out. Kittens chew on anything and everything. this time of year it could be a pine needle!
At 8 weeks I really don't think it could be something like a tooth ache, he barely has teeth! But it could be he is having trouble with one coming in. He may have hurt his jaw somehow too. Is he eating and drinking still? As long as he is eating/drinking/using the litter box and not hiding, he should be OK. Make sure to offer wet food so it is easier to eat. Any improvement is good, if he is still complaining and if he starts pawing at his mouth tomorrow, get him in.

KittyKatMDP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the comments thus far in the thread - baby kitties get into so much, it can be hard to tell what caused it. It could even be he scratched himself a little to hard. You'll likely get the most insight, as mentioned, if you get a better look at the area as well. But, yes, pay attention to diet and bathroom time - if those are normal, it may be a sign the pain will go away on its own.