My 6 Month Old Kitten Has Been Missing For 2 Days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she looks like a 4 month old she could easily be adopted .... which is why those fliers are so important.

For example: I found a hungry ?4? month oldish kitten. After a week I caught him. When I brought him inside and immediately noticed he was way to comfortable in a home so I brought him to our local animal shelter to see if he was chipped (I figured it was the quickest way to get him home.) Turns out he belongs to one of our neighbors and they irresponsibly let him roam. We call him CB for Chester’s Buddy since he hangs out with our semi-feral all the time. I also found and caught then adopted the little ?10? Week old kitten in a mall parking lot on Christmas Eve 20 years ago (if he had owners I was not returning him to someone who was not in the parking lot looking for him/making sure he did not get run over! Since catching him took an hour, I know there was no one looking for him.) Chester showed up at 4-6 months old feral hungry and stealing my mom’s cat’s food. He eventually became a garage cat and my mom adopted him. If I had seen a flier I would have happily returned them home (except the mall parking lot one.... that one would require a good explanation and knowing 100% the kitten would be safe. I think he was left on purpose for someone else to adopt. He almost got ran over!!!)

So if she is friendly and looks youngish people could easily mistake her for a lost kitten. If she is not chipped or have that fur indent from wearing a collar it can make it hard to know if she belongs to someone. That is why I suggested fliers and calling every shelter in your local area. Please don’t give up hope, she will return. After two weeks I thought I would never see my cat again and then I caught him rummaging in our trash can!
I didn't irresponsibly let her roam. Please don't think like that. I have already experienced this pain before. So I never do that mistake again. She tore the mosquito net and went outside. She did this few times before too. But she used to return in 2-3 hours. I think she was displaced this time. May be chased by a dog or a cat. I don't give up my hope. I'll search for her again and again until I find her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t say you let her irresponsibly roam (unlike the mall parking lot kitten owners!) I am telling you that putting out fliers, tells other people that you care for your kitty, want her back and are a responsible owner. I think you are a good owner. I was trying to explain how random adoptions happen from the other perspective .... and how we cat lovers are eager to reunite cats with their people. We also sometimes adopt cats, not because we want an extra cat but because we see them on the street and are worried about them. Trust me I Chester’s Buddy was a sweetheart but I still happily turned him into the shelter once they said he was chipped, so the little guy could go home. (Chester’s Buddy prances around my mom’s backyard like he owns it (with Chester) but we just leave him be now that we know he has a home!)

My only two cents is that when you get her back and get her spayed, to get her microchipped to. Like people said she is probably in heat and will return with a full load. Just keep being on the look out and putting out fliers in your neighborhood every couple of weeks and checking the shelters at least once a week. Don’t give up hope!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is not home yet. Very painful! She didn't show any signs of being in heat when I seen her last time. She behaved like a regular young kitten. I don't think that was the reason. Even if she was displaced. She knows this place very well as she was a street cat before. She could search and come home by now.. At my place no one adopts cats. Even though if anyone took her.. I knocked every door.. they could have told me. I'm now really afraid that she might be dead. So many negative thoughts are running in my brain now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. Also, the BEST times to look for lost cats are at dawn and at dusk, that is when they are the most active in searching for food, etc. Take a flashlight so that you can see eye shine in the gloom. Look in small, enclosed, dark areas. Also look up, rooflines, trees. Those are places that a cat in fear might retreat to.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's over 5 days now.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep looking! I know it is beyond scary and you are starting to fear that she might be dead. At 2 weeks I was starting to think maybe my cat had died, but he showed up the next day!!! I was starting to imagine every awful way he could possibly be injured or killed. Please hang in there and keep calling all your local animal shelters/vets/pounds. Just keep calling. (People sometimes take cats into the vet to see if they are chipped. Many vets do this for free!) Start posting her fliers up at local intersections, laundry mats and coffee shops. I would be calling those shelters and faxing them her picture. Call them so often they get to know you (stopping by in person to.)

If need be start asking the neigborhood kids if they have seen her. (maybe offer a 5$ Or 5$ gift card reward for a picture/location text/email of her? You will likely get false leads but kids are fantastic about noticing pets around the block. If the cat looks close enough, pay up anyways. Just be sure to tell them not to chase her .... you don’t want to scare her. If you find out where she is generally it can help you catch her .... with a trap if need be.) * make sure you have the parents permission and if need be sweeten it to 40$ for the kid who sends the pic that helps you bring her home. I wanted to say 20$ but it might take 40$ with inflation.

Honestly besides leaving out fresh food every day the best thing you can do, is do what MaMantyt said. Check shrubs, bushes, under cars and trees at dawn and dusk. Oh and quit imagining the worst! Until proven otherwise she is alive and well!!!

:vibes::grouphug:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In another thread a cat went missing for 2 weeks , and was recently found again by trapping cage for cats borrowed from a shelter etc. Put blankets with your scent on it with smelly food near your blankets or clothes with your scent on it. Also put some of her items near the cage etc. Put up flyers near your vets, shelters with a photo of her etc.

Ask your neighbours of they have seen her, she may be sitting in their yard ?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
In another thread a cat went missing for 2 weeks , and was recently found again by trapping cage for cats borrowed from a shelter etc. Put blankets with your scent on it with smelly food near your blankets or clothes with your scent on it. Also put some of her items near the cage etc. Put up flyers near your vets, shelters with a photo of her etc.

Ask your neighbours of they have seen her, she may be sitting in their yard ?
Where should I put the trapping cage? I feed 5 street cats in my backyard. If I keep it there... they gets trapped.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please keep looking! I know it is beyond scary and you are starting to fear that she might be dead. At 2 weeks I was starting to think maybe my cat had died, but he showed up the next day!!! I was starting to imagine every awful way he could possibly be injured or killed. Please hang in there and keep calling all your local animal shelters/vets/pounds. Just keep calling. (People sometimes take cats into the vet to see if they are chipped. Many vets do this for free!) Start posting her fliers up at local intersections, laundry mats and coffee shops. I would be calling those shelters and faxing them her picture. Call them so often they get to know you (stopping by in person to.)

If need be start asking the neigborhood kids if they have seen her. (maybe offer a 5$ Or 5$ gift card reward for a picture/location text/email of her? You will likely get false leads but kids are fantastic about noticing pets around the block. If the cat looks close enough, pay up anyways. Just be sure to tell them not to chase her .... you don’t want to scare her. If you find out where she is generally it can help you catch her .... with a trap if need be.) * make sure you have the parents permission and if need be sweeten it to 40$ for the kid who sends the pic that helps you bring her home. I wanted to say 20$ but it might take 40$ with inflation.

Honestly besides leaving out fresh food every day the best thing you can do, is do what MaMantyt said. Check shrubs, bushes, under cars and trees at dawn and dusk. Oh and quit imagining the worst! Until proven otherwise she is alive and well!!!

:vibes::grouphug:
These kids are so mean. They used to tease street cats and I used to scold them. I don't have a good relation with them. I'll talk with kids in other blocks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trapping cage is for when you find her and can’t catch her, so you put the trap in an area by her hiding spot.

If you have cats in your yard, you might try leaving food in a few different spots so they can’t bully her out of eating food. (More plates then you have cats in your yard, you can use cheap dry food if need be. Or try feeding in your front and back yard.) It could be she is near but can’t return with your yard being occupied.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading the thread ‘tips to find a lost cat’ and in it they mentioned that you should check shelters in person and call daily because at many animal shelters you only have a few days. So I just wanted to remind you to check those local shelters.

:goodluck:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a week. She didn't come home yet. I went to another place yesterday. I have no clue of her. She's a very small kitten. Can she survive on her own this long?
Here I have attached my kitten's pic. She's very tiny.

Attachments

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today a lady called me and told that she has seen my cat. But by the time I have reached that place she went from there. The lady told me that the cat looked so frightened.. tried to climb a wall but she couldn't. I believe it should be my cat because she also can't climb high walls. I looked around and searched the area again but I couldn't see her. How should I get her? She's somewhere near for sure.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep walking around in ever widening circles, calling for her. Be calm, yelling or being too loud won't help. Just be super viligant. Look for any birds gathering and calling, the do if cats are around. Bring treats, toss some on the ground if you spot her, it might be enough to bring her near. Don't give up,she's there, you WILL find her!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just keep walking around in ever widening circles, calling for her. Be calm, yelling or being too loud won't help. Just be super viligant. Look for any birds gathering and calling, the do if cats are around. Bring treats, toss some on the ground if you spot her, it might be enough to bring her near. Don't give up,she's there, you WILL find her!
Yes! I'll take fish with me.. she likes fish a lot

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, take fish! The MAIN THING IS...she has been SEEN, she is ALIVE! Take heart, and continue searching in that area. Your girl is out there!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
By all means, take fish! The MAIN THING IS...she has been SEEN, she is ALIVE! Take heart, and continue searching in that area. Your girl is out there!
Absolutely! I truly wish it should be her.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went to check the area again. I've seen two small brown cats there. May be the lady has seen one of them. If my kitten is so near she could have come to home by herself. I don't know whether she is alive or not. At my place weather is so hot. How could she bear so much of heat. I don't know why God is punishing me and my kitten like this. What he will get by doing this to a small kitten. I am seeing hell from 10 days. This pain is killing me and I'm losing my hope.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lost cats rarely go very far. She could be quite close to your house, but just too scared and confused to come home. If a cat gets chased by something they go into panic mode and forget how to get home, even when home is quite near by.

A few years ago there was a very big earthquake in the place I live. A couple of days later a cat showed up at my house. He was clearly someone's pet. He stayed at my place for about a month, sleeping inside and walking in the front yard with my own cats everyday. Eventually a lady who lived just two streets away saw the Found Cat posters I'd made and came to get him.

He'd never been outside before, but when they earthquake happened the lady ran outside and left the doors open and he followed her. He was too scared and confused by all the noise and shaking to remember where he lived.

Keep looking. Try going out just before sunrise, when it's cooler and cats are more likely to be active.