My 6 Month Old Kitten Has Been Missing For 2 Days.

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honey is a street cat. I adopted her when she was 4 1/2 months old. I tried to keep her indoor. But she used to escape somehow and came home within 2 to 3 hours. So it's not normal for her to stay outside this long. I'm sure something has happened to her. I checked out the neighbourhood and informed everyone about her missing. I'm tired and I'm losing my hope. I want her terribly. I can't stop crying. She's so little.. can she survive without food and water this long? Is there any hope she'll return to me?

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. Yes, there is hope. Cats have been known to make it home years later, but I doubt it will take that long.
  2. Yes, she can survive, and she isn't without food and water. She may not be as well fed as when she's at home, but as a street cat she already knows how to forage for herself.
  3. Has she been spayed? If not, she probably went into heat and is out satisfying her biological cravings. Once she's well and truly pregnant she'll probably show up again.
Do you still have some used litter? This has a smell that she should recognize. Try putting her litter box outside so she can smell where home is.

Norachan Norachan ?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
  1. Yes, there is hope. Cats have been known to make it home years later, but I doubt it will take that long.
  2. Yes, she can survive, and she isn't without food and water. She may not be as well fed as when she's at home, but as a street cat she already knows how to forage for herself.
  3. Has she been spayed? If not, she probably went into heat and is out satisfying her biological cravings. Once she's well and truly pregnant she'll probably show up again.
Do you still have some used litter? This has a smell that she should recognize. Try putting her litter box outside so she can smell where home is.

Norachan Norachan ?

Margret
I kept her litter box outside. I thought of spaying her but she was so little. So I wanted to give her sometime to put some more weight before the surgery. Once she comes home I'll spay her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::grouphug:
First off place a saucer out of smelly/fishy wet food by your door at least once a day, at the same time. Right by the door she escaped from.

Second call, visit every local animal shelter. Is she microchipped? If so it should make things easier.:crossfingers: I would see if your local shelter has a lost pet website where you can post her picture? I would also print out flyers with her picture, age and your address and attach the flyer with tape/ a rubber-band to every door with a square mile. Cats have been known to roam 2-5 miles a day and to find their home from 10 miles a way. No matter what do not give up hope. Sometimes it takes 2-4 months to find your cat.

I would suggest sitting outside by your door (and the smelly food) around sunset time for an hour or two everyday (you can read or surf on your phone.) cats are most active during sunrise and sunset. Be sure to call her every 15 minutes or so so she can hear your voice. Someone also suggested you look for their reflecting eyes in the dark. Be sure to look in bushes and under cars.
:goodluck:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you find her do not chase her. Just talk to her softly and stay calm. If you can, try to call her to you. If not just walk slowly up to her, if she starts walking away, stop and call her.

My twerp escapes and I just slowly walk after him, talking to him. Eventually he stops, I pick him up and pet him and take him home. Never ever punish a cat if they let you catch them. You want her to learn to come to you. Shaking her favorite treat/cookie never hurts!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
:vibes::grouphug:
First off place a saucer out of smelly/fishy wet food by your door at least once a day, at the same time. Right by the door she escaped from.

Second call, visit every local animal shelter. Is she microchipped? If so it should make things easier.:crossfingers: I would see if your local shelter has a lost pet website where you can post her picture? I would also print out flyers with her picture, age and your address and attach the flyer with tape/ a rubber-band to every door with a square mile. Cats have been known to roam 2-5 miles a day and to find their home from 10 miles a way. No matter what do not give up hope. Sometimes it takes 2-4 months to find your cat.

I would suggest sitting outside by your door (and the smelly food) around sunset time for an hour or two everyday (you can read or surf on your phone.) cats are most active during sunrise and sunset. Be sure to call her every 15 minutes or so so she can hear your voice. Someone also suggested you look for their reflecting eyes in the dark. Be sure to look in bushes and under cars.
:goodluck:
Pray for my kitten and for me. I'm feeling sick. I want her. Nothing should happen to her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Dheeksha Dheeksha

If she's 6 months old and un-spayed she will be going through her first heat cycle about now. She has probably gone out to look for a mate.

A heat cycle will last for a few days, she will mate several times with one or more male cats and then come home again.

6 months probably does seem too young to think about spaying her, but cats can and frequently do get pregnant at this age. Obviously it's not good for such a young cat to have kittens herself. The best thing to do is to take her to the vets as soon as she comes home and get her spayed. The pregnancy won't have advanced much at all if she comes home within a week or so, so it will be simple enough to spay her.

It would also be a good idea to have her blood tested for FeLV and FIV, both potentially fatal diseases that are passed on through mating. She should be checked for fleas as well, as it's possible that she picked up a few from any other cats she came into contact with.

A few articles here about spaying.

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

My girls were all done at around 5 to 6 months old without any problems at all.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Dheeksha Dheeksha

If she's 6 months old and un-spayed she will be going through her first heat cycle about now. She has probably gone out to look for a mate.

A heat cycle will last for a few days, she will mate several times with one or more male cats and then come home again.

6 months probably does seem too young to think about spaying her, but cats can and frequently do get pregnant at this age. Obviously it's not good for such a young cat to have kittens herself. The best thing to do is to take her to the vets as soon as she comes home and get her spayed. The pregnancy won't have advanced much at all if she comes home within a week or so, so it will be simple enough to spay her.

It would also be a good idea to have her blood tested for FeLV and FIV, both potentially fatal diseases that are passed on through mating. She should be checked for fleas as well, as it's possible that she picked up a few from any other cats she came into contact with.

A few articles here about spaying.

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

My girls were all done at around 5 to 6 months old without any problems at all.
Please pray for my kitten and for me. I hope she's alive.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Please pray for my kitten and for me. I hope she's alive.
I hope so too.

I notice that you said in your other thread that you have trouble getting your cats to the vet.

Help! Very Urgent

A lot of my cats are feral and when they were at the right age to be spayed and neutered I couldn't handle them at all. About half of my cats had to be trapped so that I could get them to a vet. If you have trouble picking any of your cats up the best thing to do is use a humane trap. Some vets have them that you can borrow. Animal rescue places will also be able to lend one to you.

Please read the article on TNR for feral cats. If you need any advice on trapping or if you have trouble getting a trap please let us know. We can help you.

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pray for her safe return, may God grant this request in the name of love.....
She is most likely out looking for a mate. Walk around in ever widening circles and look for Tom cats gathering. Listen for birds screeching, they are good indicators where cats are. I have had cats get pregnant at even less then 5 months, and getting pregnant at that age is more risky for a too young mother. I have never lost a little one to spaying, but have lost two to birthing at too young an age.
I send good vibes your way, I'll continue to pray and think of her until she returns home, please keep us informed! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Leave smelly fish for her , and check around shrubs with shade , if cats want to hide they are pretty good at it. I can count million of times when i thought my cat has gone missing , and searched the backyard, front yard and the streets 3 times over only to return to the backyard 1 hour later to find them sitting under a shrub well hidden in the back or front yard. I would go to full panic cause they are on clock work for dinner, so if they didnt show up after 4 hours i though something was wrong. Leo however at one point didn't show up at all one night searched everywhere didn't find him, i woke up next morning and he was sleeping on the porch.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving a bowl of water out, just in case she is thirsty, wouldn’t hurt.

If you lack the funds to spay her, please call around. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics. Plus there are many programs out there that will help with emergency care. It also never hurts to ask your vet if they can give you a deal.

We brought our semi-feral in to get him tested for FIV and get him vaccinated ..... our vet neutered him at half price to get him neutered that day. (Look at it from her perspective. Here is a tomcat roaming the neighbor hood, getting into fights and making babies. Sadly as a vet she knows first hand what happens to those kittens.... especially the ones born on the street.)

I hope your kitty returns to you safe & sound (& without being pregnant.)

I once had a cat escape who came back fatter two weeks later! He never wanted to go outside again!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will pray for her safe return, may God grant this request in the name of love.....
She is most likely out looking for a mate. Walk around in ever widening circles and look for Tom cats gathering. Listen for birds screeching, they are good indicators where cats are. I have had cats get pregnant at even less then 5 months, and getting pregnant at that age is more risky for a too young mother. I have never lost a little one to spaying, but have lost two to birthing at too young an age.
I send good vibes your way, I'll continue to pray and think of her until she returns home, please keep us informed! :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you so much. I will spay her when she returns home

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise

If you lack the funds to spay her, please call around. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics. Plus there are many programs out there that will help with emergency care. It also never hurts to ask your vet if they can give you a deal.

We brought our semi-feral in to get him tested for FIV and get him vaccinated ..... our vet neutered him at half price to get him neutered that day. (Look at it from her perspective. Here is a tomcat roaming the neighbor hood, getting into fights and making babies. Sadly as a vet she knows first hand what happens to those kittens.... especially the ones born on the street.)

I once had a cat escape who came back fatter two weeks later! He never wanted to go outside again!
I only want her back. I don't care whether she got pregnant or not. I'll spay her right after she comes home. Oh God! This feeling is very very terrible. I don't know what happened to her. Hope she returns safe.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise

My vet is a very good person too. He spayed and neutered 8 of my cats for lesser price. Spaying is not a problem. She was a feral before. She's very malnourished when I got her. So I thought to spay her when she gains some weight.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Leave smelly fish for her , and check around shrubs with shade , if cats want to hide they are pretty good at it. I can count million of times when i thought my cat has gone missing , and searched the backyard, front yard and the streets 3 times over only to return to the backyard 1 hour later to find them sitting under a shrub well hidden in the back or front yard. I would go to full panic cause they are on clock work for dinner, so if they didnt show up after 4 hours i though something was wrong. Leo however at one point didn't show up at all one night searched everywhere didn't find him, i woke up next morning and he was sleeping on the porch.
I'll go tomorrow early morning and check for her again. I will check all the bushes and trees too. Please pray for my kitten and for me. I want her back in my life.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't find my cat still. I searched all the houses... gave flyers to everyone in hand. No one has seen her. Asked the street cleaners... They haven't picked up any cat's body. Some construction work is going on roads.. they too haven't seen her. Checked all the trees and bushes.. Where did she go? If she was displaced.. she has to search and should come to home by now.. right? This pain is unbearable. Will she ever return to me?? I'm getting sick.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is MUCH too soon for you to give up hope. We've had cats that were missing for MONTHS who came home again safely! And since she knows that your home is her safe place, once she's bred (I really think this might be what is happening), she'll head back to you. Meanwhile, I'm lighting a candle for her safe return.
00LitCandle.jpeg

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is MUCH too soon for you to give up hope. We've had cats that were missing for MONTHS who came home again safely! And since she knows that your home is her safe place, once she's bred (I really think this might be what is happening), she'll head back to you. Meanwhile, I'm lighting a candle for her safe return.
View attachment 282817
She is a very tiny cat. Although she is 6 months she looks like a 4 month old. How can she go without proper food these many days. I'm very scared. My baby is going through all this.. It's unimaginable for me.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she looks like a 4 month old she could easily be adopted .... which is why those fliers are so important.

For example: I found a hungry ?4? month oldish kitten. After a week I caught him. When I brought him inside and immediately noticed he was way to comfortable in a home so I brought him to our local animal shelter to see if he was chipped (I figured it was the quickest way to get him home.) Turns out he belongs to one of our neighbors and they irresponsibly let him roam. We call him CB for Chester’s Buddy since he hangs out with our semi-feral all the time. I also found and caught then adopted the little ?10? Week old kitten in a mall parking lot on Christmas Eve 20 years ago (if he had owners I was not returning him to someone who was not in the parking lot looking for him/making sure he did not get run over! Since catching him took an hour, I know there was no one looking for him.) Chester showed up at 4-6 months old feral hungry and stealing my mom’s cat’s food. He eventually became a garage cat and my mom adopted him. If I had seen a flier I would have happily returned them home (except the mall parking lot one.... that one would require a good explanation and knowing 100% the kitten would be safe. I think he was left on purpose for someone else to adopt. He almost got ran over!!!)

So if she is friendly and looks youngish people could easily mistake her for a lost kitten. If she is not chipped or have that fur indent from wearing a collar it can make it hard to know if she belongs to someone. That is why I suggested fliers and calling every shelter in your local area. Please don’t give up hope, she will return. After two weeks I thought I would never see my cat again and then I caught him rummaging in our trash can!