my 5 months old male kitten bites my newly adopted 2 old months kitten

brownishing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, i need some understanding about my kitten's behavior. It is my first time having a cat 4 months ago, he is a male local cat. He grew up well and active most of the time.

Not long ago my sister decided to adopt another stray kitten, he is about 2 months old.

Not even a day passed, my older kitten started to bit down the younger's neck, the youngest started to hiss at him and growl aggressively.

I didn't know if this is an act of dominance or the older just trying to play with the 2 months old...

Please help me as this is my first time adopting a cat, i don't really understand them as much as i understand dogs

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just trying to play. Cats are predators, and when they play they practice hunting, fighting, stalking and defence behaviors. When there is a size difference like this, its very common for the small one to hiss or run away. Typically, they come right back in 5 minutes or so, and thats how you know that all is well. It will get more equal in time. In the meantime, the little one may be uncomfortable at times (think head noogies and indian sunburns) so you can distract the bigger one to give the little one a break when you happen to be around them and the little one seems particularly unhappy about the play. You don't have too, but when its convenient its a nice thing to do. You don't want to discourage all play though, so be gentle about it -- distraction not discipline.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have nothing to add to A ArtNJ 's advice. It's about as good as it gets. And congratulations on your new kitten!