My 5 month old is afraid of me

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new kitten about two months ago. She is five months old and will NOT let me touch her.

I was able to pick her up and play with her when I first got her but now she runs when i try and get close.

I also have another cat in my home. My two year old male. they seem to get along well, no hissing or aggressive behavior.

when she first came home, my male cat did not like her and hissed alot, I had them seperate for a few days. 

Not sure how to socialize her properly. She has free roaming room, and i even play with her. she will play with the toys but if i go to pet her she runs away.

please help :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try to sit on the floor at her level.  Never loom over her.  Sit and talk gently with her.  Don't try to pet her right now.  Just play and have fun with her.  After each play session reward her with a special small meal or special treat.  This will help to satisfy the "eat" portion of the hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep theory.  Make the treat something yummy.  You can even try Gerber stage 2 baby food in chicken or turkey.  Just be sure the only ingredients are chicken/turkey and water.  No added spices.  This is just a treat, but cats love it.  You can offer some in a dish, then offer some on a spoon and then offer some off your finger.  Just move slowly. 

If you have a small feather wand toy you can really get her moving with the toy.  Then start to touch her body with the feather.  Very gently and see how she reacts.  Do this daily for a week or so.  Once she gets used to touch, she may allow you to pet her again.  I used to "pet" my feral with the wand and then gently replace my hand for the wand toy.  It does take work and patience.  Just give her space right now and do not force her. 

Enjoy her presence in other ways.  Play is a great way as is yummy food rewards.

Also have you had her spayed yet?