My 5 cats are truly purrfect, but can I ask something more of them?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The room I had been using for foster cats and kittens is situated far enough away from the other rooms in my house so that occupants have never bothered my own cats. But, circumstances have changed, my older cats died, 3 of my fosters are now permanent residents since no-one wanted them, and with 4 female cats I no longer feel able to bottle-feed kittens or tame ferals or semi-ferals and devote enough time to my resident cats. The cat-room is now used by my daughter for wood-working and dress-making!

Recently I was asked by a fellow volunteer, who is still fostering cats for the animal shelter, if I would be willing to look after two of her fosters, should no home be found for them before she goes on holiday. The young cats are about 8 months old, both neutered, the female has had one eye removed and her remaining eyesight is impaired. My acquaintance did not want these 2 cats to be kept in a cat room away from family life as they have been living with dogs, cats and children for most of their short lives.

I answered rather non-committently since I was in the process of privately adopting a very beautiful BLH (no pedigree, but that is what she looks like). Her 83 year-old owner was no longer able to look after her. Without going into details, Luise is 4 years old, extremely thin, had given birth to kittens 3 or 4 months previously and had only recently been neutered and vaccinated. I wanted to make sure that my own cats were happy with a newcomer before committing myself to taking on a pair of young cats for 2 weeks.

Well, Luise needed a home immediately and we picked her up 17 days ago and housed her in the small bedroom. Her long thick coat was deceiving, she was so thin that on her second day she managed to squeeze through the wire mesh screen we put up in place of the door and she suddenly appeared in the living room where I was entertaining visitors. I didn't want to overreact so let her explore while keeping an eye out for negative reactions from my 4 dozing cats. She must have spent about 3 hours getting to know my visitors and various rooms before Emily became aware of her presence and I put her back in her room blocking off the only large hole in the bottom corner of the wire mesh (11cm x 11 cm). Two nights later she escaped again :dunno: and has been free ever since. As I said in my title, my 4 cats are the best ever - all found in the gutter - one injured, one pregnant, one with 4 babies and one sick - but even if rather unfriendly and nervous, none of them has ever attacked.or hurt another cat. Emily hisses, Mogi holds up her paw, Meghan and Katy slink away until things have quietened down.

Together with Luise, they are eating together, sharing litter boxes, no-one is hiding. Luise has put on at least 400 g. She brings me the catnip carrot every morning to get me out of bed. Luise and Meghan greet everyone who comes to the front door. So. everything is going according to plan. I must admit that I am busy - just making sure that all 5 are getting enough attention, and not showing any signs of stress.

And now to the 2 young cats. I can almost imagine keeping them in this small bedroom (10 ft x 10 ft), with single divan, bookcases, desk and computer for 14 days. A small cat tree will be no problem to set up (the almost blind cat should not be encouraged to climb too high anyway) and there is a windowsill looking out onto the road - dogs and their owners walk by but there are not too many birds at the front of the house. The wire mesh screen will have to be enlarged to stop them from trying to climb over the top (and Meghan from climbing in). But - will it hurt 2 energetic cats being constrained in such a room for 2 weeks? My acquaintance says "It's only 2 weeks!" but I feel that 2 weeks is a long time. While Luise was being kept here (3 or 4 days?), my own cats simply ignored her. They occasionally looked in, Emily sat, looked and then hissed before walking away. So it could work. Or am I asking too much of my almost purrfect, darling cats if I bring in a pair of half-grown moggies for 2 weeks?

I still have a week to decide. There is a second option open where the two kitties can stay but, for some reason, I am the preferred option. It is only 2 weeks...... Shall I go for it?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think as long as the 2 new cats have plenty of toys and things to entertain them and you are able to spend some time playing with them they should be fine. They have each other for company and play and a window to look out of. Many cats in shelters are in less fortunate conditions for much longer.