My 4.5 mo old wet food

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten kibble available 24/7
Wet food morning & eve 1/4 can
But she follows me to the kitchen all the time and makes out like I’m starving her. She almost has me convinced to up the wet food, what’s the consensus around here?

long term it’s gonna be kibble but what’s about at this stage?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is the best in terms of health and satiation, as it stays in the stomach longer than kibble. I’d suggest wet food only in the long term, personally. The more of it you can afford to feed, the better, as it’s much more species appropriate.

Regardless, yes, I’d increase the amount of wet food you’re currently offering.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs 3-4 three-ounce cans of wet food daily until she’s a year old. Kittens are constantly growing and have fast metabolisms, so are very hungry all the time, especially at this young age. Most need to eat 4-6 times daily.

Start with half a can 6 times a day, but if she still seems hungry, up it to the full can 3-4 times a day, with a feeding just before bedtime.

You’ll know when to pull back when she consistently does not eat the full serving. As stated, wet food is superior to dry throughout life and helps to prevent UTI’s and support kidney function.

My cats are all adults now, so they get a can twice a day and eat dry in between, but I still have one male who is 14 months old and eats an extra can a day.

I know wet food is expensive, but it’s a good investment in a kitten’s health the first year. I recommend the Fancy Feast Classic pates - especially the chicken. They are meat first ingredient and cats are carnivores.

G Greenmyrtle

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But she follows me to the kitchen all the time and makes out like I’m starving her. She almost has me convinced to up the wet food, what’s the consensus around here?
A 4.5 mo old kitten is still very much a kitten. A growing kitten need two be fed several times a day as they are very active and they burn off lots of calories. You can never overfeed a kitten.

Following you to the kitchen and wanting to eat is because she has not enough to eat.

Wet food meant for kittens is best because they are full of proteins and minerals and nutrients that aid their formative year. Wet food has real meat also keep your kitty hydrated and you can add and mix well two or three spoonfuls of filtered water to her wet food each time so she gets more water intake. Feed your kitty 5 - 6 times a day and feed as much as she can eat at one sitting. Once she's had enough for one sitting, she'll stop eating and that is the portion she eats each time. So you need to take note on that and adjust accordingly. Amount + number of feeds per day.
Or, you can feed her wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' and you can feed her from now and throughout her adult age and no need to transit from kitten food to adult food.

Dry food is full of carbohydrates and does not keep them full for long and more over they get overweight easier from dry food and dry food does not clean teeth. Wet food help to maintain weight.

A growing kitten needs around 300 calories a day. As she grows and by the 7th month, all her adult teeth will be in and she'll go through a period call 'Growth Spurt' and during this time, she'll tend to eat more than usual. This will go on till she reaches a year old + (normal breeds matures at 1 year old and larger breeds takes 2 - 4 years tp mature) and her food intake will taper off. After maturity, a normal active cat need around 200 - 250 calories per day which is spread over her meal times.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More wet food is never a bad idea. It's great for cats to keep up with hydration, and I also find it's a better fit for their carnivore needs.

Kittens love to act like they're being starved. Mine ran away with a cookie and almost ran with a whole sandwich the other day. He also constantly jumps in the fridge because he knows I keep the extra wet food in there.
If your kitten is being a bit annoying around food, I would recommend those balls that you can add treats in so your cat has to play to get the food out. It works great for mine. I put some of his kibble in it, sometimes add a couple of treats as well, and give it to him when I'm eating dinner / or if I need to focus on something without distractions.