My 3 Strays Won't Eat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the pics, but I don't think she looks underweight. If she is, it doesn't seem like it could be by much. Look for signs of illness - nose running, eyes watering, always in a meatloaf position (hunched up - kind of like those pics). You know her and how she typically behaves, just start making note of anything you seem to think looks differently about her or her behavior on a regular basis.

Just make sure you see her eat. If you think it is less than normal, try giving her some Gerber Baby Meats Stage 2 (no additives like garlic/onion). Might be just enough to get her over 'the hump' if for some reason she is in a funk over a recent incident with another animal/cat.

How long have you had these cats around? It's either been a long time, or they have been abandoned by someone. Abandoned cats are skittish around people, but are much more inclined to hang out with their 'food supplier' once they learn not to fear them completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman has been around for a year the first of July. Shadow (the one that I'm worried about) has been here since August. I just don't know. I can't get the neighbors to say a thing. She's laying under my lawn chair right now and barely is moving. She was fine he other day. And she sat like this since August (above photo).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
What makes it so hard is my very elderly mother. She refuses to let anyone come onto the property. And I don't have a trap for this baby. Her just lying here like this is not normal behaviour for her. At least not up to a few days ago. She did go missing for 48 hours and came back and that's when I noticed a change in her behaviour. I know cats like to sleep a lot but this is concerning. I haven't noticed her vomiting or having a runny nose or anything. Just laying here. She's been here for 2 hours now. Usually she eats and runs. And then the bickering from my Mom for feeding them.
Shadow 3.jpg
Shadow 2.jpg
Shadow1.jpg
Shadow 3.jpg
Shadow1.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's been dumped or abandoned, that is my guess - probably Shaman too. If you see more inactivity, less eating, and any other signs that might suggest illness, can you get her to a vet?

Has anyone here suggested you contact local rescue shelters, even vet's offices, to see about finding a way to help you trap her and get her looked at? I know you said your elderly mother doesn't want anyone on the property - so, if I were you I would go door to door to see if the neighbors might be more inclined to tell you anything they know if they have to look you in the face. Perhaps, if someone 'fesses up' that they are feeding them, the two of you could hatch a plan to trap at least Shadow. And, if you can find rescues around the area that would take her to be looked at, that would be a good start for her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an idea. I'm going out there now to take out fresh food. Hopefully that will get her moving. Admittedly I don't even know her age although I think she is probably much older than Shaman and Treasure are. Thank you. I just worry a lot and she may just be sleeping off a meal.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I went outside with the bowl. She moved away very quickly and when I went inside she went to the bowl to eat but again snubbed it. I still don't understand. The other two cats eat this food with no problems. Shadow loved this food (or any to be honest) up til she disappeared the other day. The food was fresh from the can and pretty darn expensive too. I'm just puzzled. I did see the neighbors that were home and none of them admit to feeding her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Would that affect her appetite? I'm sorry if my questions are silly, as I'm only used to indoor cats. Like I said I worry and last night I got 1 hour of sleep worrying about her. I'm very heartbroken.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And right now she's not running from Treasure. Usually she runs from her but she's just sitting there. I'm sitting here crying because this situation could have been different if my Mom would be more understanding. If she was Shadow could be at a vet being looked at right now.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My family members are 5 states away and my neighbors won't bother helping. I could ask again in the Next Door app but not sure how good of a response I'll get

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has the right idea about getting help. Given that the cats are technically strays, yes, a shelter or the Humane Society might be able to do something. Another thought: If your town has an animal control officer, that person might be able to help -- ours does all sorts of odd jobs related to animals. He is part of the police department but I'm sure different towns have different arrangements.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
See and again my Mom won't allow Humane Society or Animal Control in the yard. I'm in a real dilmena here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure if you contact animal control, that they have connections for you that deal with no-kill shelters.

If you can appeal to a neighbor, would your mother let them on the property under your supervision, or for that matter anyone else as long as it is under your supervision?

Worse case scenario, you can get a trap from a rescue center, etc. and set it up and trap her yourself. You might even be able to appeal to vets' offices, sometimes their technicians are 'softies' and would be willing to help you.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
OK well just learned my next door neighbor is a vet. He came with his equipment to look and ugh I should have done the TNR at the beginning. She's pregnant. I"m not going to kill the kittens though but we're going to catch the other 2 to be spayed/neutered, vaccinated and returned and take care of Shadow once the kittens are weaned and given homes. Not the greatest but it's better than what I thought it would be.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Also just tried some dry food and she finished the entire bowl. First time she chose dry over wet although she'll eat anything.