My 21-yr-old cat just went blind, but also no sense of smell

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 21-yr-old cat Muzak has just gone blind. My vet says come in tomorrow for an exam, but that it's very common at his age. I've read about how to care for a blind cat, and how he will compensate by using his hearing and smell. However Muzak has not been able to smell anything for a year. His hearing seems just fine, but wow... Are there any things I should be doing for a cat who's lost those two senses?

Photo on 2010-04-28 at 15.20 #2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I just started giving him a good pinch of bonito flakes in his food a couple of weeks ago. Could the salt have raised his blood pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that a current picture of his eyes?
Why do you think he is blind?
Sudden blindness, in my opinion is an emergency. How old is your cat?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with bonito flakes, but it seems they are made from dried tuna?
I don't know if the salt in the product is enough to raise a cat's BP, but I surely take the cat to a vet and ask them to have a BP reading to see if the blindness has been cause by a BP spike.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sudden blindness has a reason, usually a BP spike that a vet can assess by reading the cat's BP with a gauge.
In the event of a high blood pressure, the cat will be put on a medicine to keep his BP low.
Do not underestimate this symptom and don't take for granted that it is a normal thing for a 21-yo cats.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a rescued adult cat who went suddenly blind from Cryptococcus. I am not saying that your cat has that, in fact it would probably be a long shot, but sudden blindness is always an emergency.

As for management, if this is permanent, keep him inside only (in case that was not his life previously) and do not move anything in the house...for a start.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a rescued adult cat who went suddenly blind from Cryptococcus. I am not saying that your cat has that, in fact it would probably be a long shot, but sudden blindness is always an emergency.

As for management, if this is permanent, keep him inside only (in case that was not his life previously) and do not move anything in the house...for a start.
fionasmom fionasmom my cat Mumu has suddenly gone blind from surgical complications. How did your cat adjust to his vision loss? Was there a period of depression that he experienced?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pangur Ban was unwell from the cryptococcus and was fighting on several fronts when he went blind. It did seem to bother him as it was sudden. If your cat is now blind as a result of surgical problems, it is probably also sudden so you might experience a period of fearfulness or depression. It is vitally important that he live inside all the time, and that you never move anything around. If he is in his usual home and surroundings, he will start to remember where everything was. He will need you to reassure him and help him at first.

I read your other thread and there are a lot of good suggestions there. Some of these may help as well. Definitely see the ophthalmologist so that you have all angles covered.

Living By New Rules: Caring for a Blind Cat.
Blind cats | How to look after blind cats | Cats Protection

Special Needs: Living With a Blind Cat
Guide to Life With a Blind Cat: Tips and Advice | Great Pet Care

You are going to find that much information is repetitive in the above, but that is because some of it is common sense for blind cats. There are some added points if you glance over the articles.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom thank you so much. I am so sad and worried that Mumu is so down and depressed now, but it is good to know that other cats like Pangur Ban also went through this and can emerge from it. ❤ Thanks for sending the resources, too. I am relieved that I can be home with Mumu for the next few months to help her with her medication schedule and also to let her know I am always there for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is very good that you can be home with Mumu to reassure her that things are going to get better.