My 14 day old (?) kitten still hasn't opened his eyes, should I be worried?

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been taking care of a kitten since 31th of August. He still had umbilical cord on him when found but his fur didn't feel like newborn. It's been 14 days since I took him but his eyes are complately closed. Umbilical cord fell 3 days after being found. Should I be worried? I added a photo of him from the day I found him.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He isnt much furry on this photo. So I suspect he is a little premature. Not VERY premature, he would prob die without extremely good care if much premature. But as premature to make it natural for the eyes to open later than average.

Unless the eyes are full of pus, or you have reason to think its pus making them closed, wait a couple of days more before you worry.

Dont try to open them by force. Even if you perhaps may try to wash the eyelids with a cloth with warm slightly salt water. Or even better, mild tea water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's no indication of an infection as I see. Photo I posted isn't very clear so I asked a friend to send me the one we took with his phone. Him laying on blue towel is the day we found him and the other photo is from today.
IMG_20210913_125716.jpg

IMG_20210901_181130.jpg also him the day I found, a better photo

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
In those last photos he is beginning to open his eyes. He could just be a late bloomer, it happens. He sure is cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, he may be a late bloomer. Do gently wipe his eyes daily with a warm soft cloth. They should open fully soon. I also agree he may have been a touch premature.

How much does he weigh now? How much and how often do you feed? Which brand formula are you using?

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's 17th day that I'm taking care of him and we have some progress! I think it's slowly opening
IMG_20210916_162152.jpg

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, he may be a late bloomer. Do gently wipe his eyes daily with a warm soft cloth. They should open fully soon. I also agree he may have been a touch premature.

How much does he weigh now? How much and how often do you feed? Which brand formula are you using?
I don't know about his weight but he has a good appetite. I use royal canine kitten milk. It's the best brand where I live. He drinks about 20ml every time and 5-6 times a day. Has a big belly :D