My 12 year old cat Is not eating, is it a Possible UTI or ingested forigen object?

Colorado Cat Dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 12 Year old cat. A day and a half ago she stopped eating. She has a big appetite and abruptly stopped. Twice she dry heaved and only a viscous liquid that had some air bubbles came out. While vomitting she almost seemed to be choking and her back lowered, her legs sprawling slightly across the floor.

She is also in pain where her back leg meats her back near the tail. She is curled up tensely in a ball indicating she's in a good deal of pain. She's become unsocial and is seems depressed. She was showing none of these symptoms two days ago and this behaviour is uncharacteristic of her. We also recently had her anal glands expressed, so I don't think this is causing the pain.

Recently, she had a "senior pane" l blood work test, also checking her kindneys. Everything was good and in fact had improved since our previous visit to the vet's. I plan to call my vet first thing Monday morning. If it is food poisioning, I know it will past. About two days before the symptoms showed up, I dropped her ceramic bowl. I swept and cleaned it up but worry she might have ingested a shard and also thought it could indicate a UTI.

I am not sure if I am being paranoid about missing her ingestion of a foriegn object, but I'm worried beyond belief. I am unable to determine with any sort of objectivity whether the situation will pass or is grave. I am going to the vet ASAP, but I hope to glean whatever knowledge and experience the community has to offer.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to say. It’s not something I like to guess, you can’t take chances with symptoms like your describing though, have a vet examine her.

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can, I would take her immediately to ER. I would think if she had ingested part of the ceramic, there would have been blood in the spit-up. It sounds more like an external injury from what you describe, especially her leg. But that is just a guess. Is she an indoor cat?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She needs to go to a vet. She is at high risk for developing hepatic lipidosis ( fatty liver disease) if she continues not eating. Regardless of what is causing this, she must go to a vet. This will only get worse and harder to treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colorado Cat Dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! Thank you for your advice, support and your well wishing! I did end up going to the ER. I saw no other choice. We discovered that Rosie had developed a UTI, she was prescribed clavamox (anti-biotic), I’ll be taking care of her and will keep you updated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I hope the antibiotics solve the problem. She is older now, so ongoing monitoring of her urinary tract might be in order at this point. Let us know how it goes!

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for keeping us posted! I am very glad she is okay...