My 12 week old kitten just slipped and fell a story

Emily Dartan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He fell a story and for a moment he didn’t move out of shock. In panic I lifted him up carefully and put some water over him so he would not lose consciousness and it worked. He didn’t have any bleeding and no sprains as he walked for a little while. But now he is lethargic and sleeping a lot so I’m worried he could be suffering from a head injury. Is this normal? I’m planning to take him to the vet tonight when he opens but I just want to ease my mind. Please help.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t wait. Can you get him to an emergency vet?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no doubt that cats can fall great distances and still be okay. The lethargy bothers me. How long ago did this happen and how soon after did he become listless? What makes you think he might have a brain injury- did he fall on his head? If that is the case then I definitely wouldn't wait for the vet to open.

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
Emergency vet. Now. Damage on the inside is far more dangerous than damage on the outside. Please don't wait as it could be making things worse when he moves around now (the adrenaline might have been how he was apparently feeling fine immediately after).

Please don't reply to this message and just call your closest emergency clinic and bring him there first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emily Dartan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no doubt that cats can fall great distances and still be okay. The lethargy bothers me. How long ago did this happen and how soon after did he become listless? What makes you think he might have a brain injury- did he fall on his head? If that is the case then I definitely wouldn't wait for the vet to open.
He did not fall on his head but he was looking tired and with no energy. Now he woke up and was playing with us and woke up to pee as well. So he’s feeling better

Emily Dartan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Emergency vet. Now. Damage on the inside is far more dangerous than damage on the outside. Please don't wait as it could be making things worse when he moves around now (the adrenaline might have been how he was apparently feeling fine immediately after).

Please don't reply to this message and just call your closest emergency clinic and bring him there first.
Wouldn’t he be crying in pain if something was wrong? He has not cried since falling. But now he woke up to play with us and even walked alone to pee.

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
Wouldn’t he be crying in pain if something was wrong? He has not cried since falling. But now he woke up to play with us and even walked alone to pee.
I think that there's a very decent chance that there's internal damage of some sort. Please get him checked out even if he seems fine. Remember, cats are masters of hiding these things.

Emily Dartan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that there's a very decent chance that there's internal damage of some sort. Please get him checked out even if he seems fine. Remember, cats are masters of hiding these things.
Yes thank you so much for your help. At the vet’s right now

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Got him checked out, he’s fine, no external or internal damage. Vet said he will probably be back to his normal self by tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

I am so glad that he doing well and that he got an okay from the vet. One story is not a great distance but I would certainly keep an eye on him. As already said, cats are masters at hiding injuries and . Thank you for taking such good care of him and also for letting us know. :)

Emily Dartan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s doing great this evening as well. He ate as well and he’s started to jump around like usual. I have a follow up appointment next Saturday and will also update the vet tomorrow so he can give me further counsel. But he administered some antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine today for the trauma so Finn ( by the way, that’s my cat’s name :) ) should be ok. The vet told me to keep an eye out for any possible blood with his pee which would be a sign for alarm, but as long as he doesn’t pass any blood, which he hasn’t so far, he’ll be fine. Thank you all again ❤

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s doing great this evening as well. He ate as well and he’s started to jump around like usual. I have a follow up appointment next Saturday and will also update the vet tomorrow so he can give me further counsel. But he administered some antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine today for the trauma so Finn ( by the way, that’s my cat’s name :) ) should be ok. The vet told me to keep an eye out for any possible blood with his pee which would be a sign for alarm, but as long as he doesn’t pass any blood, which he hasn’t so far, he’ll be fine. Thank you all again ❤

Thank you for letting us know!
I am thrilled that you have such a great support system in your vet. Sounds like you have a good rapport with them and that is a stress buster in itself.
I too once had a Finnigan, so I know all about those Finn's. :)