my 1 year old is recovering from severe anemia after using Doxycycline/Enrofloxacin but nothing diagnosed yet

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fibonacci ( my 1 year old male short hair tuxedo kitty ) was perfect healthy/indoor cat for a year ( since we adoption him at 4 weeks old 11 months back) and suddenly in 4 days got PCV to 9% and 72 hours in Emergency care with cathedral/all tests except bone marrow. The vets billed us $8.5k without a diagnosis yet and we want to keep him alive at any cost. We got him home last 60 hours post 2 blood transfusions and PVC ( RBC count) increased from 17% to 22% since then. he is eating almost 200 gm a day and fever went down from 106.2 to 102.7 by yesterday. The only treatment we doing is giving him Doxycycline and Enrofloxacin every 24 hours and he got back active by today morning ( starting to climb up etc and getting tired back ). We doing PCV and temp check every 24 hours and the results as as below:

Incidents as below:
Monday 3rd May 8AM : Rushed him to primary care doctor as he stopped eating since 8 PM sunday with prior two days reduction in appetite and constipation. Primary doctor results : PCV11%, temperature 103.4, suggested us for EM at hoboken or antibiotic at home ( very risky ), negative on FelV, FIV
Monday 3rd May 2:30 PM : PCV 9/8% and fever 103.9 ( the hoboken vet EM was close to killing him by making me wait outside 4 hours with him inside and no treatment even knowing they don't have a blood transfusion equipment)
Monday 3rd 4PM: rushed to Paramus Blue Pearl center; (our fibonacci_warrior fought for his life and survived beyond science through the time); Blood transfusion 1 to get back PCV to 15% ; 8PM PCV shows it got back to 13% fever 106.2 ( Dr Fiamma De Witte, Internal medicine worried as seems body not producing any RBC : non regenerative), Ultrasound, Xray, pathological sample, CPC, PCV/TC all done but no reasons found yet.
Monday overnight Dr Witte gave him Doxycycline first shot with another steroid and Tuesday morning 8 AM Enrofloxacin first shot.
Tuesday 4th May 8 AM blood Transfusion 2 to get PCV to 19% ;
Tuesday 4th May 2 PM PCV to 18% ( positive sign of slowness in RBC break)
Tuesday 4th May 8 PM PCV to 17%
Wednesday 5th May 3 AM PCV to 17%, Ate one meal first time ( 40 gm)
Wednesday 5th May 8 AM PCV to 20% and fever reduced to 103.4; fever got reduced to 102.5 by 12 PM..
Decided to get him home and keep giving Doxycycline/Enrofloxacin and monitor for few days before deciding on bone marrow test ( this will cost another 4k)
Since he is home his appetite increased, he ate 180 gm on Wednesday overnight ;
Thursday 6th May morning did PCV : 22% and fever 102.8 :
Friday till now ate 200 gm and started walking around and climbing sometime on chairs ( and still getting back weaK dizzy)
We have strictly disinfected his area with steam based and rotating his 5 favourite meals and he has gained back 1 lb. Today we got home thermeter ( ear one) but seems he doesnt have fever since morning and talking and trying to do his usuals.

Concerns:

no Diagnosis yet so no accurate prognosis but the two antibiotics are saving hid life and getting him back.
Dr Witte asked for a revisit on tuesday to decide on bone marrow test.

Please help us with any experience you guys have on similar issues. Also some leads for a second opinion ?

Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any veterinary school can offer a courtesy consult for a vet on complicated or head scratching cases. Ask your vet to reach out to a vet school. You can also ask your vet to consult with this veterinary hospital: Referral Services • MSPCA-Angell

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does he go outside? there is something cats can get from ticks that can cause severe anemia called Haemobartonellosis. Did they test for this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he go outside? there is something cats can get from ticks that can cause severe anemia called Haemobartonellosis. Did they test for this?
he never goes out. Dr De Witte things its non regerative but nothing diagnosed yet.
so she is asking for bone marrow test. Interestingly Fibonacci health improved massively in last 50 hours. now he is back to 25 PCV and eating much and sometimes goign back to common self ( climbing cat tree)

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
Feline Hemotrophic Mycoplasmosis : Looks very relevant in fibo's case .. Thanks mrgreenjeans

Dean5420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw your post on my old thread. If it's non-regenerative, then it's not the same thing as my cat had. Non-regenerative can be caused by some kind of poisoning (like the cat accidentally got into and ate something he shouldn't have when no one was looking) or an illness such as leukemia or kidney disease (i would assume the vets ran a test for those already).

I can't help much, but my best suggestions are:
  1. Don't wait if he starts getting worse, if things worsen take him to the vet sooner than later. Things can progress very quickly with cats and the species as a whole tries not to show symptoms outwardly because it's a biological disadvantage to them in the wild.
  2. If he needs to put weight back on, there are weight gainer products and appetite stimulants for cats and dogs available online without a prescription that are designed to help an animal build weight. Check with your vet before giving him one, though, just in case.
  3. Anemia can also be cause by nutritional deficiencies, meaning if your cat does not have the proper diet it can make him sick. I don't know what all your vet checked so far, so this may not be applicable to your situation. Make sure he is eating the right kind of cat food, canned wet food is the best for cats because it also provides them with plenty of water if they don't normally drink water by itself. Really, any kind of wet cat food that he will actually eat should be good, because they are all (in general) formulated to have the right amount on nutrients a cat needs. If he's eating just human food alone, that could cause vitamin deficiencies that could have lead to the anemia. When my cat wouldn't eat, I supplemented his cat food with stuff like Delectables bisques for cats and Friskies Lil Soups. If he sticks his nose up at his food, you could try pouring one of these cat gravy products on top of the food and heating it up just a little bit in the microwave for just a few seconds to release the aroma.
I pray that your cat gets better.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw your post on my old thread. If it's non-regenerative, then it's not the same thing as my cat had. Non-regenerative can be caused by some kind of poisoning (like the cat accidentally got into and ate something he shouldn't have when no one was looking) or an illness such as leukemia or kidney disease (i would assume the vets ran a test for those already).

1. Don't wait if he starts getting worse, if things worsen take him to the vet sooner than later. Things can progress very quickly with cats and the species as a whole tries not to show symptoms outwardly because it's a biological disadvantage to them in the wild.
  2. If he needs to put weight back on, there are weight gainer products and appetite stimulants for cats and dogs available online without a prescription that are designed to help an animal build weight. Check with your vet before giving him one, though, just in case.
  3. Anemia can also be cause by nutritional deficiencies, meaning if your cat does not have the proper diet it can make him sick. I don't know what all your vet checked so far, so this may not be applicable to your situation. Make sure he is eating the right kind of cat food, canned wet food is the best for cats because it also provides them with plenty of water if they don't normally drink water by itself. Really, any kind of wet cat food that he will actually eat should be good, because they are all (in general) formulated to have the right amount on nutrients a cat needs. If he's eating just human food alone, that could cause vitamin deficiencies that could have lead to the anemia. When my cat wouldn't eat, I supplemented his cat food with stuff like Delectables bisques for cats and Friskies Lil Soups. If he sticks his nose up at his food, you could try pouring one of these cat gravy products on top of the food and heating it up just a little bit in the microwave for just a few seconds to release the aroma.

thanks mate..
thanks Dean for your response. Fibonacci has always eaten sheba, fancy feast wet can and appetizers, broth all wet food (Tuna is his favorite! we never gave him Huamn food). He is recovering now I guess but way behind his normal self. Today is his 5th of Doxycycline/ enrofloxacin and we planned for 8 days before our visit to Dr on tuesday. Should I take a second opinion for another internal medicine expert. He is still sleeping 60 percent and mild temperature is still there...All blood tests showed negative on infection and negative on felV,FIV.. should we agree to do a bone marrow or its too painful for him considering he is responding to antibiotics? your experienced thoughts will be very helpful for us.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New update: Doctor told .e today the the bartonella test has come +4 which confirms he is I felted with bartonella ( this high can't be false positive). Today somehow he is more lazy and eaten less.. any experience on bartonella infection. Doctor asked to continue doxycyclin for 6 weeks. please help!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did he have fleas? Bartonella, like the issue I referenced above (they are related), is contracted from fleas or ticks. And there are different varieties of it. Do you know which one he has? Oh, and the one I mentioned in my earlier post can also be gotten from fleas, not just ticks.

Here is one thread about Bartonella: Bartonella experience? I can't find much info online

If he has the version I mentioned above, then the doxy is one of the antibiotics used to treat it. Be sure to use it for the entire 6 weeks, as any form of Bartonella is hard to get to. If you are giving the Doxy in pill form, you know to follow the pill with a little water, right? It can be hard on their esophagus.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did he have fleas? Bartonella, like the issue I referenced above (they are related), is contracted from fleas or ticks. And there are different varieties of it. Do you know which one he has? Oh, and the one I mentioned in my earlier post can also be gotten from fleas, not just ticks.

Here is one thread about Bartonella: Bartonella experience? I can't find much info online

If he has the version I mentioned above, then the doxy is one of the antibiotics used to treat it. Be sure to use it for the entire 6 weeks, as any form of Bartonella is hard to get to. If you are giving the Doxy in pill form, you know to follow the pill with a little water, right? It can be hard on their esophagus.
thanks for your response msgreenjeens.. I am still wondering how it got.. disinfecting whole apartment with natural care+ . the doxybis in liquid form which I a giving once a day by the method I saw in a YouTube video. back 1/3 of tongue to avoid foaming. yes doc told for 6 weeks. evening time he started walking and little playing.. I am seeing positive response as of now..

Dean5420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad they found out what was causing it and I hope Fibonacci gets well quickly!
Stick with the medications your vet prescribed, especially if he's responding well to it. If he stops eating again, then let your vet know ASAP.

I don't know much about Bartonella, but I know that cats can indeed get fleas even if they never go outside. Fleas can get into the house through cracks, such as floorboards in older homes. Once your cat has recovered from the infection, you may consider putting him on a monthly flea/tick medication. There are several on the market such as Advantage II and Revolution; you will have to get a perscription from the vet for those.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they found out what was causing it and I hope Fibonacci gets well quickly!
Stick with the medications your vet prescribed, especially if he's responding well to it. If he stops eating again, then let your vet know ASAP.

I don't know much about Bartonella, but I know that cats can indeed get fleas even if they never go outside. Fleas can get into the house through cracks, such as floorboards in older homes. Once your cat has recovered from the infection, you may consider putting him on a monthly flea/tick medication. There are several on the market such as Advantage II and Revolution; you will have to get a perscription from the vet for those.
thanks Dean. noted!!!

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Dean/msgreenjeens,

Today was scheduled to get fibonacci back to bluepearl for normal check. he almsot got back to normal in the morning and was playing all around. As we took him to the BluePearl Emergency at Paramus they told his PCV is 18 and he needs more tests etc. ( they charged $500 for PCV and vitals and consulting) I told them my primary vet got bartenolla +4 high positive and doxycycline/enroflaxin is working perfect on him. Dr Fiamma De Vitte was trying to justify and planned for another $1500 test for him. I got him back without the test and feed Him. Hope they didnt treat him badly as he is low since he came back. thhe nurse told she took 3ml blood from his hind leg only. Can you guys suggest a more trustable internal medicine vet. I already spend 8.5 K and seems liek they focuse don money making and trying to say he is sick.
You guys are the best to suggest . Please help what should I do.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure why your primary Vet is not doing all the treatment at this point. If they think he should see an Internal Medicine Vet, they should be able to refer you to one in your area. Any time you go to an Emergcncy Vet, it will cost probably four times as much as a regular Vet. Is there a particular reason why you are continuing to go to Blue Pearl Emergency, particularly if it's your regular vet who diagnosed him with the Bartenella?

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why your primary Vet is not doing all the treatment at this point. If they think he should see an Internal Medicine Vet, they should be able to refer you to one in your area. Any time you go to an Emergcncy Vet, it will cost probably four times as much as a regular Vet. Is there a particular reason why you are continuing to go to Blue Pearl Emergency, particularly if it's your regular vet who diagnosed him with the Bartenella?
Hi mrsgreenbeens, we stopped going there. the old dozycycline liquid is 11 days old and Las two doses his health deteriorated. today he is not eating .. yesterday his pcv was 20 though. I think the doxycycline became ineffective due to light exposure and time. Should I give him one extra dose from the new batch. one observation: since his last two doses he is foaming and gaging a lot. also I think should enrofloxacin as one doctor told me to stop but the bluepearl doc told to continue.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also the primary very prescribed we started steroid ( prednisolone one a day)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really cannot answer your question as to which antibiotic you should be giving. This is definitely a question for your Vet. You should decide which Vet you want to have treating him and go with their decisions. It seems that you are now going with your regular Vet, so I would go with their decisions.

fibonacci_das

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fibo' s health deteriorated .. pcv 18.. we stopped enroflaxacin and continuing deoxycyclin with predosolone... today he got worse.. doctor asking us to monitor ti next Tuesday. not sure whether he will be able to run like this. Plz help anyone. Should I start the enrofloxacim back.?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fibo' s health deteriorated .. pcv 18.. we stopped enroflaxacin and continuing deoxycyclin with predosolone... today he got worse.. doctor asking us to monitor ti next Tuesday. not sure whether he will be able to run like this. Plz help anyone. Should I start the enrofloxacim back.?
Does he still have a fever?
Unfortunately no one on the internet will be able to tell you what antibiotic your cat should or should not take - that’s a job for a vet who has actually examined your cat.

Foaming after you give a medication doesn’t mean it’s not effective anymore, it happens fairly frequently with cats when they have to take bitter/bad tasting medications. It’s kinda scary to experience but not harmful. You can help prevent it by giving them some water from a can of tuna right after giving the medication to wash it down and get rid of the taste.