My 1 year old cat is suddenly attacking my kitten after 3 months

Hollyp678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for some desperate and well needed advice.
My 1 year old female cat has been living harmoniously with our 5 month old kitten for 3 months; she groomed him, ate beside him... everything was fine. Until one week ago we heard these horrific noises coming from her which we have never heard, she was in full fight or flight mode attacking him she also urinated and pood on the floor. After quick separation until she calmed down we introduced again and the same thing happened. We took her to the vet for a health check as this is so out of character and she was fine. We also took him and got him neutered the next day ( 4 days ago) ps she is also spayed. We have kept them separated since and have pet gates in situ; she is fine seeing him through them and there is no hissing or uneasiness about her. While she was on top of the cat tree relaxed today we planed to bring them together for a short time and she jumped down hissing and bushy tailed and of course we separated them again. I have been feeding them on either side of the gate and rewarding with treats but I feel this is never going to work.
I know this is a long winded post but any advice and help would be greatly appreciated as all I've done is Google for the past week.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for some desperate and well needed advice.
My 1 year old female cat has been living harmoniously with our 5 month old kitten for 3 months; she groomed him, ate beside him... everything was fine. Until one week ago we heard these horrific noises coming from her which we have never heard, she was in full fight or flight mode attacking him she also urinated and pood on the floor. After quick separation until she calmed down we introduced again and the same thing happened. We took her to the vet for a health check as this is so out of character and she was fine. We also took him and got him neutered the next day ( 4 days ago) ps she is also spayed. We have kept them separated since and have pet gates in situ; she is fine seeing him through them and there is no hissing or uneasiness about her.
Hi H Hollyp678 ...and welcome to the Cat Site. :wave3:
Are you following any of the formal cat-to-cat introductions Steps...like the one here, on the Cat Site,...:
Or the Jackson Galaxy method?
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

What I think happened, and this is only a guess, is that your 5 month old male kitten may have tried to mount your female cat, and bit her on the neck,..therefore causing her to react in that loud, vocalizing way...(causing her to go into fight or flight, like you rightly mentioned.)

It's excellent that you got your male kitten neutered...but it will take about 6-8 weeks for the male hormones to leave his body.
(that's according to another member here, mentioning it, in another thread.)

Another thing that can be going on, right now, is 'non-recognition aggression'...which sometimes happens, when a cat comes home smelling like the Vet's place, ..and the 'at-home cat'...gets all riled up by the Smells.
This also takes some weeks to wear off, and the recommendation is to go through the Steps of Re-introduction, again...exactly like you are doing now.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
While she was on top of the cat tree relaxed today we planed to bring them together for a short time and she jumped down hissing and bushy tailed and of course we separated them again. I have been feeding them on either side of the gate and rewarding with treats but I feel this is never going to work.
I know this is a long winded post but any advice and help would be greatly appreciated as all I've done is Google for the past week.
Don't give up hope. :)

If it's only been a short time, 4 days since you got him neutered, ...then it may take longer, up to three weeks for the Vet smells, to go away, plus any medications, antiseptic, or anesthetic smells...and then you are also dealing with his male hormones...that need time to also leave his body.
Basically, her reactions may be perfectly normal, according to the Scent, and pheromones that your male kitten is giving off.

My suggestion is to do the cat-to-cat introductions...at a much slower pace...and only move forward to the next Steps...when your female cat is feeling more Confident.
Also, do as many 'Scent swaps'...with various "fabric Scent soaked items"...being exchanged from one cat to the other.
Anything from cat blankets, towels or t-shirts, socks, that are rubbed on the male kitten...and then placed near the food bowl of your female cat. Watch your female cat...for any willingness to sniff these items...and her body reactions, too.

Can you post some photos of your cats, and tell us their names.
We love photos, here. :thumbsup:
Good Luck.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cat nap cat nap has given you every bit of the information that I was planning, especially about the 6-8 weeks that it will take the hormones to clear his system. Until then, she's going to recognize him as a tom, rather than a gib (the term for a neutered male cat). Try the articles, they are excellent, but don't push them together. Give him a bit of time to shake off the "tom-smell" first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollyp678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it. It is just heartbreaking as they got on so well and a big shock. I will take all of your advice and read the articles. I have attached pictures of them in their happier times 😭
Thank you so much again

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really is heartbreaking, but the calmer you are with them both, the sooner things can begin to return to normal. Cats read our emotional states like a book...a Dr. Seuss book, at that, with bright pictures and short words! They know us. The more calm you are, the more relaxed they will become.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollyp678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are fine through the pet gates I have been giving them both treats when they are at either side acting calm around each other and playing with them both. I was woken up at 4am this morning with them both meowing and crying at each side of the bedroom door ( my partner is sleeping in the spare bedroom with the kitten at night). I still do not know when is best to let them be in the same room for a short period and how best to do it 😭

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
They are fine through the pet gates I have been giving them both treats when they are at either side acting calm around each other and playing with them both. I was woken up at 4am this morning with them both meowing and crying at each side of the bedroom door ( my partner is sleeping in the spare bedroom with the kitten at night). I still do not know when is best to let them be in the same room for a short period and how best to do it 😭
Raise the pet gates onto pieces of wood, books, or something sturdy...so that your female cat and male kitten...can touch each other with their paws.
This will show you when they are ready to meet.

Make sure the pet gates are secure, with zip ties, or strong small pieces of rope tied securely, to not allow the gate to fall over onto either cat.
If you can make this DIY pet barrier from storage shelving, even better, since you can place it anywhere, in the hallways, in doorways, and as tall as you need to:
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

Keep doing the Scent swapping, ...with Scent soaked items...so that your female cat gets more, and more relaxed,...and familiar with your male kitten's new Scent.
And yes, Play as much as you can with each cat, ...by the gates, ...so that they see each other, and are not afraid of each other's movements.

When your female cat is by the gate, take some videos, for yourself,...and watch them back.
Notice any body language, fur up, tail lashing, ear directions, and sounds....since this will tell you when your female cat is also more Accepting of her male brother.

She will get there.
It just takes Time.
They will become close, once again,...since they had a good beginning to start with. :bluepaw::catrub::blackcat: