Mutual grooming after 2 days separation... did they miss each other?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 week old female kitten (or was it 14? I've lost track), given to me reluctantly by my friend due to the vehement opposition of all her other household members. My resident 3 year old male cat and new kitten got along pretty well, but I can tell that her hyperactive antics annoy my boy from time to time. He's never hissed at her though, and usually goes to find another room to nap in peace.

So since my friend missed the kitten so terribly, on Friday morning, I let her have the kitten for two days. On Saturday night when I brought the Kitten home, my older boy immediately came up to her and started grooming her. She half play attacked him, but to my surprise, instead of nibbling on him as she usually does, she started to groom him too!

I'm always reluctant to anthropomorphize, but couldn't help but think... perhaps they bonded in their short 4 weeks together, enough to the point where they actually missed each other's company?

Having been a single cat mom for the last 3 years, this is all quite new to me. more often than not I read about cats not getting along and start acting like strangers once one has been out of the house for a vet visit etc. I'm ecstatic to see these two get along so well, so any further insights would be awesome!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep it's definitely possible they missed each other. It didn't take long for my two to get bonded. It was only a couple of weeks and they were grooming and sleeping together like they had always been with each other. My eldest was 3 when we bought the kitten in 12 weeks. I think some cat's enjoy having another cat. Looks like your lucky like I was. My boy's have never been aggressive after one has been to the vets but yes it can happen. I have to say that video is so cute, your cat's are adorable. Enjoy the knowledge they like one another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep it's definitely possible they missed each other. It didn't take long for my two to get bonded. It was only a couple of weeks and they were grooming and sleeping together like they had always been with each other. My eldest was 3 when we bought the kitten in 12 weeks. I think some cat's enjoy having another cat. Looks like your lucky like I was. My boy's have never been aggressive after one has been to the vets but yes it can happen. I have to say that video is so cute, your cat's are adorable. Enjoy the knowledge they like one another.
It seems like I’m being spoiled with two well behaved kitties! Kitten was super shy and scared of everything at first, I believe she found her confidence through my older boy. i accidentally sent her flying yesterday with my foot when she got underfoot, I freaked out and started to apologize expecting her to run and hide, but she immediately ran back to me... i think she thought it was a game...? boy is she a totally different feline now 😂

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he definitely noticed her absence and when she came back smelling of a different place, he felt a thorough bath was needed. It is good cat manners to return a grooming session, so your kitten joined in. I do think the two are bonded and should remain together. As yes, you are lucky to have a great pair.

Last edited: