Must see video of a cat given store bought flea med such as Hartz or Sargents

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so important and necessary for some people to see although very disturbing. People trust and assume it's safe what the stores sell OTC for cat flea prevention to try to save a few bucks. I shudder to think of how many more cats have the same reaction.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Reaction like what must be on the video are rare. Even human stuff--- there are humans with extreme reactions seen only in the rarest of cases but they do happen. I didn't trust the one spot stuff to work and held off buying collars that ended up costing more in total than a 5 buck pkg of 3 doses of one spot. Perk? It's the same stuff that's in the collar and works better. Yeah she still itches but is mostly vermin free so I don't have to worry about that affecting her health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I would never give Hartz (I have never heard of Sargents) it did say that it was because the cat was given a dog dose. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

While I would never give Hartz (I have never heard of Sargents) it did say that it was because the cat was given a dog dose. 
Another mistake people make, but the majority of stories in these links as well as professionals opinions are not, they are a possible reaction that is not worth the risk to save a few bucks, and also everyone tells that it doesn't work so hot anyway.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are WAY too many stories about bad reactions to this product that I would NEVER give it to a cat.   Honestly, all the stories scared me away from using topical flea meds period.  I give the cats a monthly dose of Program.   I also have Capstar when/if needed.   I also go over each cat thoroughly with a flea comb once a week to check them out.    Yes, it takes more time, and yes, those meds I use are more expensive, but what is your cat's life worth?  I would never be able to forgive myself if I cheaped out on something and it resulted in the death or serious illness of a pet.    I understand people who give their cat something like Hartz out of ignorance because they have never done the research on it - but once you know and are aware of it, there's no excuse in my mind to EVER use those products.  

Last edited:

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will not disagree nor comment further. Cats are more fragile than dogs but I do have one complaint: why is it that all sites about cat care on the WWW, for the most part anyway..say? If your cat sneezes once or doesn't eat a meal and eats the next one? Run to the vet?? If a newborn has a cold mother phones the doctor. It's not life threatening. In home care is cheaper.

furmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I am unable to watch the video, I so appreciate you posting it.

From http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...pot-on-package-labeling-for-pet-products.aspx

In April 2009, the EPA issued an advisory about spot-on products after receiving over 44,000 reports of adverse reactions during 2008,

including 600 deaths. This represented a very disturbing 57 percent increase in reported incidents in a single year

-- incidents ranging from mild skin irritation to seizures and death.

In March 2010, the EPA published the results of a year long study of spot-on flea and tick products. Findings included the following:
  • Most adverse reactions were seen in dogs weighing between 10 and 20 pounds.
  • Reactions in mixed breed dogs were most commonly reported, however, the Chihuahua, Shih Tzu, Miniature Poodle, Pomeranian, Dachshund, Maltese, Yorkshire terrier and Bichon Frise seem particularly at risk.
  • Products containing cyphenothrin and permethrin were especially problematic for small breed dogs.
  • Most incidents occurred in dogs under three years old, likely at their first exposure to a spot-on product.
  • Adverse reactions for both dogs and cats were primarily skin, GI tract and nervous system related. Skin reactions included redness, itching, hair loss, sores and ulcers.
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms included vomiting, diarrhea and salivation.
  • Reported nervous system symptoms included lethargy, nervousness, ataxia (movement problems), tremors and seizure.
  • A number of adverse reactions in cats were the result of the cat either being treated with a product intended for dogs, or through exposure to a treated dog. Cats treated with products intended for dogs had an especially high rate of serious reactions and fatalities.
  • Inert ingredients in spot-on products were generally assumed to contribute to toxicity.
  • Dosage ranges were considered to be too wide in some cases.
  • Product labeling was identified as needing a revamp in many cases.
  • The EPA's Companion Animal Studies guidelines are insufficient to predict the toxicity of spot-on products.
  •