Musiaka's journey with IBD and liver issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope that Musiaka feels better by now as the day has progressed; let us know what the vet says.
He has vomited 3 times in total today and been sleeping for most of the day. I got him to eat around 100g of the digestive recovery food that's high in electrolytes so at least there's that. Got a cerenia shot for him but didn't inject it as he freaks out now when I start grabbing his hind leg looking for a place to inject. Last few times I did it were so painful to him :(

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka vomited acid again during the night. Never has he vomited so many times in a 24 h period...

He hasn't touched the digestive recovery food I left out for him. So I caved in and gave him his crappy Purina Gourmet food which he ate with quite an appetite. Don't know if I did a wrong thing... But maybe any food is better than none? He need nourishment and liquids

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat vet always says that cats have to eat or they run the risk of other issues. He was clearly hungry and you did the right thing to let him have his food. Musiaka was certainly not going to feel any better with a gnawing stomach from hunger.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is better, at this point, for Musiaka to eat... whatever he wants.... Starving is not going to help him... only make matter worse...

I feel for you.. It is so hard.. trying to deal with a sick, fussy one... ((((HGUS))))

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet visit went well yesterday. Musiaka is feeling better in general too. We think that he got a flare-up from having too much of the creamy treat he receives mixed in with his supplements, as I added a new supplement to his routine and the amount he receives increased quite a lot. Or it's a reaction to the supplement itself. In anyway he hasn't thrown up since that last time on tuesday night.

We did another ultrasound and focused on his gallbladder a bit more. Apparently the stones he has are calcified and attached to the wall of his gallbladder - they don't move by themselves. Also, they are not possible to melt down, only surgically removed. The lining of his gallbladder is thickened and inflammed too. But the good news are that the gallbladder itself isn't enlarged, it's on a smaller side even, which according to the vet is a good thing. Also, the billiary duct is wide enough and doesn't look impacted, so he does have a good flow of bile into his stomach.

His other organs looked slightly better than in June, when we last made the ultrasound. The intestines are not thickened! The upper stomach wall looked better too. His liver looked a bit smaller. Must be thanks to that good period we had recently and milk thistle Musiaka's been receiving for 2,5 months straight. It really does wonders!

So we are starting an antibiotic treatment for the inflammation and thickening of his gallbladder. The antibiotic is called Clavaseptin. The vet was about to prescribe a different one, but it's very difficult to get the dose rights as the tablets are large. So she landed on Clavaseptin to begin with. She's also looking for empty capsules we could use for Musiaka's supplements to avoid giving him treats. It's not that easy to find here in Lithuania.

About the surgery - it would of course be best to remove the gallbladder, as the stones are there to stay, but another factor to consider is Musiaka's age. He's not a young cat, the vet said that herself. A surgery worries me due to inflammation in his body and his older age. It's unclear how old he is, but his teeth are worn out, so must be 9-12 years old. The vet said that he could possibly continue living like this. But pain management will definitely be needed in near future.

We skipped blood tests this time. The vet thought that there is no point doing them right after a round of acute vomiting as liver enzymes will definitely be elevated. What a difference from the previous clinic we used to go to. There, we ran labs right after Musiaka's vomiting flareup and they didn't even mention that it might be temporary. That's when they talked about "methastasis" and scared the hell out of me. They talked about Musiaka's as if he's dying.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that things are looking up and you feel encouraged by the vet you saw this time. You have made a lot of progress in helping Musiaka with this condition. As for the capsules, if you can get them, they are a big help in giving pills without using excessive treats.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that things are looking up and you feel encouraged by the vet you saw this time. You have made a lot of progress in helping Musiaka with this condition. As for the capsules, if you can get them, they are a big help in giving pills without using excessive treats.
Thanks! Yes, there is definitely progress made, both in managing Musiaka's condition and my general knowledge about it. Exactly 3 years ago Musiaka had a major flareup and I had no idea what's happening to him!

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka is in a very good mood today again. Eating well (because I gave in and started feeding him his Melting Hearts again, damnit...) running around, attacking the tv and being his nagging needy self.

However he did have diarrhea just now, which is of course caused by the antibiotics (we just completed day 2). I will call the vet tomorrow to check if that's ok or if we should do smth. Maybe probiotics at the same time. I guess diarrhea is expected while taking antibiotics, people are also told that it might happen.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saccharomyces boulardii is what you give a cat for antibiotic-induced diarrhea.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

The trouble with antibiotics and why giving probiotics along with antibiotics is a losing battle is that it the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria with the bad. That's why he's got the diarrhea in the first place. But s. boulardii is yeast-based. It survives the antibiotics. It is often given to people for antibiotic-induced diarrhea too. Best of all, many cats enjoy the taste. You might even be able to get him to eat more of the vet food by mixing in the s. boulardii.

You should be able to find it wherever you find human probiotics. It doesn't require refrigeration. But it may be sold out of the refrigerated case along side other probiotics that do require refrigeration. I'd give half a capsule twice a day, sprinkled over his food or mixed into his food.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saccharomyces boulardii is what you give a cat for antibiotic-induced diarrhea.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

The trouble with antibiotics and why giving probiotics along with antibiotics is a losing battle is that it the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria with the bad. That's why he's got the diarrhea in the first place. But s. boulardii is yeast-based. It survives the antibiotics. It is often given to people for antibiotic-induced diarrhea too. Best of all, many cats enjoy the taste. You might even be able to get him to eat more of the vet food by mixing in the s. boulardii.

You should be able to find it wherever you find human probiotics. It doesn't require refrigeration. But it may be sold out of the refrigerated case along side other probiotics that do require refrigeration. I'd give half a capsule twice a day, sprinkled over his food or mixed into his food.
Thanks, it makes sense that they would be cancelling each other out. This boulardii thing looks great, both me and Musiaka will benefit from it! Ordering it asap

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
However I will try giving it separately - Musiaka hates me tampering with his food in any way, even adding tasty stuff. I tried adding Fortiflora to his food and nope! He mistrusts me so much at this point that expecting one taste and getting another makes him freak out

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The probiotic hasn't arrived yet, but Musiaka's diarrhea had disappeared on it'sand he had two solid poops, which is suprising. He is a bit nauseous today, but I will soon receive a package from abroad with Pepcid! So hopefully his neausea can be controlled by occasional tablet

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka is tolerating the antibiotic well and hasn't had diarrhea since, so I am only giving him a maintenance dose of S boulardii. He hasn't vomited since the 28th of September, which is nice for him. Sometimes he shows signs of nausea, but it hasn't led to vomiting yet. He's eating well

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We ended the antibiobitic course on Wednesday and Musiaka threw for the first time today (last time was the 28th of September). He didn't look sick at all and threw up out of nowhere after eating (no hairballs) and then he went back to eating straight away. He did look like he had some reflux this morning though.
We haven't started the b12 yet, I thought it was no point while on antibiotic, but it's on it's way.
Musiaka is getting some daily s.boulardii.
Unfortunately the package with pepcid my cousin sent me from abroad was sent back, maybe it's not allowed to ship medicine... very sad, because it could have helped us control these acid throw ups

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The good news is that is a long time with no vomiting and I hope that this was just a random episode that won't start up. It is very possible that medications cannot be shipped depending on where it is coming from/going to.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The good news is that is a long time with no vomiting and I hope that this was just a random episode that won't start up. It is very possible that medications cannot be shipped depending on where it is coming from/going to.
It's so nice when he doesn't vomit for a longer time. But the vet said we probably won't be able to avoid these random episodes and he will always have them due to his gallstones

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will start trying to change Musiaka's diet to hydrolized protein again. He vomited today, after running around having zoomies, climbing on stuff etc. It's very unpredictable because he doesn't look sick before he throws up. Then he suddenly does and goes on as if nothing. No more hairballs in the throw up, just liquid and been like that for a while now. He eats a loooot of that favorite food of his, I leave around 100g of it for the night and it's always empty in the morning.
Opened up a canned of Specific allergy food. Not interested at all. I don't know how I'll manage to change it for him. He will start protesting and drop weight again. He's now plumper and looks healthy due to finally eating the appropriate amount and more. If only he wasn't so picky, things would be so much easier :(

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaand he's on a hunger strike. Hasn't eaten the whole day. Just because I tried introducing him to a new food and mixed it up with his old.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hunger strike continues (although he ate his regular food during the night, and loads of it at that), but he's also crazy today, running around and jumping from furniture. It often happens that he gets these zoomies and then suddenly throws up.
But he doesn't eat anything I offer. Just walk around picking up crumbs like he's starving.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Managed to get him to eat a bit of the new allergu food. He then puked it all out.