Musiaka's journey with IBD and liver issues

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have eaten too fast or too much if he regurgitated shortly after eating. I would get a food scale so you can know exactly how much you are plating. If you were putting down an 85 g can, I'd use the food scale to split it into 42 gram portions separated by a few hours. Perhaps you can also put some of the wet he enjoys in a timed feeder to open at 3 or 4am to try to stave off the early morning (likely acid) barfs.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating dry? If he likes the wet you've picked out recently, I try your hardest to get him off dry completely. Pred can only do so much. If he truly does have IBD (and it sounds like it), you'll need to do food trials which are nearly impossible with dry food. Because this has been going on for so long, you probably have to start by scratching off the proteins he ate most frequently during all this vomiting (probably chicken and fish.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just throwing out any ideas at this point, because it does seem you've just about done it all. What would happen if you mixed the digestive support pate with one of the other foods he likes that hasn't been terrible for him?

I didn't go back and read through everything (sorry), but if you are giving him any sort of probiotic, perhaps you could try instead Fortiflora - it is the one probiotic known for making food more appealing to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating dry? If he likes the wet you've picked out recently, I try your hardest to get him off dry completely. Pred can only do so much. If he truly does have IBD (and it sounds like it), you'll need to do food trials which are nearly impossible with dry food. Because this has been going on for so long, you probably have to start by scratching off the proteins he ate most frequently during all this vomiting (probably chicken and fish.)
Oh yes, dry food is definitely something we have to get rid of! I am trying to get Musiaka off kibble completely. Last night, when he had his new wet food out for the night, he didn't even touch kibble, so tonight I'm not leaving any of it out.
The problem is, that a lot of those better tasting wet foods that Musiaka is happy to eat and ditch the kibble for, have several proteins combined and it's so hard to know which one he's sensitive to :( I have recently chosen some really good monoprotein canned food that would be ideal for finding out the best suited protein for Musiaka but he just won't eat it...

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just throwing out any ideas at this point, because it does seem you've just about done it all. What would happen if you mixed the digestive support pate with one of the other foods he likes that hasn't been terrible for him?

I didn't go back and read through everything (sorry), but if you are giving him any sort of probiotic, perhaps you could try instead Fortiflora - it is the one probiotic known for making food more appealing to eat.
It's a good idea, but I think I will wait a bit before I return to the digestive support paté, as Musiaka truly seems to resent it now. No idea why it happened, at first he seemed to enjoy it, but it gets rancid pretty fast when it's out so maybe he lost appetite for it.
I give him BioProtect probiotic daily, mixed with some eggyolk, but sure, I will try Fortiflora instead! I remember our old vet recommending it too. Musiaka receives some digestive enzymes too. At this point I will try anything

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, as I probably sound very confusing in my posts - I have been feeding Musiaka Specific's Digestive support paté for a couple of months now and that's the one he grew to resent. We had quite good results vomit-wise on it though.
I also bought some monoprotein food from a brand called Gussto, hoping we could switch to that after we're done with the digestive support paté. But Musiaka doesn't eat the food from Gussto either.
The kibble that Musiaka turned to when he was only being offered wet foods he didn't like was Virbac's Digestive support.

Hope this makes sense, I can be all over the place when I try to describe things, also my English is a bit lacking

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience and my reading that there is both a carb and protein component to IBD. Carbs open the doors (inflame the gut which affects gut membrane permeability.) And proteins follow through that partially open door. It is the proteins that the immune system recognizes. You need to cut out the carbs to close the door. But you may also need to switch up the protein. If you have wet food that you can get him off his dry, start there. Fix the barn door first (get rid of the kibble) before you worry about putting the animals (the proteins) back inside. You'll probably have to eliminate the kibble and switch up the protein(s.) But you're not going to get anywhere on the proteins until you have eliminated the kibble. All you do when you switch up the proteins without addressing the kibble is teach his immune system new proteins to weaponize against. 🤦‍♂️

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience and my reading that there is both a carb and protein component to IBD. Carbs open the doors (inflame the gut which affects gut membrane permeability.) And proteins follow through that partially open door. It is the proteins that the immune system recognizes. You need to cut out the carbs to close the door. But you may also need to switch up the protein. If you have wet food that you can get him off his dry, start there. Fix the barn door first (get rid of the kibble) before you worry about putting the animals (the proteins) back inside. You'll probably have to eliminate the kibble and switch up the protein(s.) But you're not going to get anywhere on the proteins until you have eliminated the kibble. All you do when you switch up the proteins without addressing the kibble is teach his immune system new proteins to weaponize against. 🤦‍♂️
That makes a lot of sense!
But how about the carbs in commercial wet food? Are those gonna cause inflammation too? I suspect raw is the only way to go, but I just can't see Musiaka giving in... he has never eaten raw meat, never shown interest in hunting when he used to go outside and he's stubborn as hell. I've been putting a piece of raw food by his bowl for 3 weeks, for him to get used to it and maybe get curious, but he has never even tasted it

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes a lot of sense!
But how about the carbs in commercial wet food? Are those gonna cause inflammation too? I suspect raw is the only way to go, but I just can't see Musiaka giving in... he has never eaten raw meat, never shown interest in hunting when he used to go outside and he's stubborn as hell. I've been putting a piece of raw food by his bowl for 3 weeks, for him to get used to it and maybe get curious, but he has never even tasted it
Raw is more involved than just putting down a piece of raw meat. Meat alone is not complete. And if you aren’t picking up that piece of raw meat within an hour, that can do him more harm than good. You also don’t want to use grocery store meat raw unless you’re certain they run a clean and responsible shop. A lot of grocers take food-handling shortcuts assuming you’re going to cook any contamination away. You don’t want to add a food-borne illness to his troubles.

Yes, you may very well have to go to homemade (It doesn’t have to be raw.) But I hope when you do, you’ll use a premix supplement powder like Alnutrin or an established recipe like one here:
Recipes

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raw is more involved than just putting down a piece of raw meat. Meat alone is not complete. And if you aren’t picking up that piece of raw meat within an hour, that can do him more harm than good. You also don’t want to use grocery store meat raw unless you’re certain they run a clean and responsible shop. A lot of grocers take food-handling shortcuts assuming you’re going to cook any contamination away. You don’t want to add a food-borne illness to his troubles.

Yes, you may very well have to go to homemade (It doesn’t have to be raw.) But I hope when you do, you’ll use a premix supplement powder like Alnutrin or an established recipe like one here:
Recipes
Thanks!
I was picking it up after a while. Also holding it in front of Musiaka, letting him sniff it, sometimes mixing it with his regular food. It wasn't a store bought meat either, I bought it in a vet store locally - frozen raw food for cats. Maybe I should try to cook it

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so nice seeing Musiaka enjoy his food again! He empties his bowl each time now and isn't asking for kibble.
His automatic feeder doesn't seem to work though, it just gets stuck and wont open, so I'll have just leave lots of wet food overnight. Hope it's too much for him to eat at once and it will last until the morning

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another hairball today. It's always a sad day to me when Musiaka throws up a hairball. He does that right after waking up from a long nap and he's hungry after he throws up.
Why can't he just pass it, he gets a lot of eggyolk, probiotics, enzymes and now - only canned food... I brush him everyday. But hair clumps in his stomach anyway :(

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another hairball today. It's always a sad day to me when Musiaka throws up a hairball. He does that right after waking up from a long nap and he's hungry after he throws up.
Why can't he just pass it, he gets a lot of eggyolk, probiotics, enzymes and now - only canned food... I brush him everyday. But hair clumps in his stomach anyway :(
If you think he sheds too much, have you tried a skin & coat supplement? Just to show the ingredients, like these

BiodermCAT | BioPetActive

DERMAVİTAL - Zoovital

I think some cats are just more pukers than the others. Like sometimes it can even be more psychological than physical. Kind of like how some people puke when they easier when they get nauseous.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you think he sheds too much, have you tried a skin & coat supplement? Just to show the ingredients, like these

BiodermCAT | BioPetActive

DERMAVİTAL - Zoovital

I think some cats are just more pukers than the others. Like sometimes it can even be more psychological than physical. Kind of like how some people puke when they easier when they get nauseous.
Thanks! I've been just thinking about adding a supplement like that to his diet. Musiaka is an overgroomer. He drills his coat multiple times everyday, very thouroughly, and his coat isn't very nice in general, has never been

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But it's very likely that he has food allergies and that's why his coat is not nice and he overgrooms. I wish he wasn't so picky so we could do food trials :/ Gussto's monoprotein canned food would be perfect for it. He just shows no interest in eating it

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hairball again. Two days in a row :( he also ate some grass which I didn't notice

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And another hairball. :/
We're going to a new vet tomorrow

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I added a very oily malte paste two days ago as well, but nothing freaking helps, absolutely nothing....

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should I ask for Prednisolone? Given the recent liver failure?