muscular cats

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HEllo

I have owned many cats in the past and found that when I nutered a cat after a year of age he was often much more muscular then ones nutered less then a year. Is this common? IF so arent more heavy boned muscular cats more healthy as their bones and muscle develope better? It has just been my experience that every male cat i have had that was nutered at like 6-8 months always stayed frail mostly just fat and bone and no muscle but on the other hand the ones that i nutered very late look a lot stronger and are a mix of muscle fat and bone . Just my observation..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

HEllo

I have owned many cats in the past and found that when I nutered a cat after a year of age he was often much more muscular then ones nutered less then a year. Is this common? IF so arent more heavy boned muscular cats more healthy as their bones and muscle develope better? It has just been my experience that every male cat i have had that was nutered at like 6-8 months always stayed frail mostly just fat and bone and no muscle but on the other hand the ones that i nutered very late look a lot stronger and are a mix of muscle fat and bone . Just my observation..
You sure couldn't prove that by our Bijou - he was neutered young and is a whopping 16 lb. Siamese and very strong and muscular.

anya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've not really thought about this before. I have 3 male neutered cats. One was neutered as a kitten, the other at about 1year and the other at 2 years. The one that was neutered at 3years is very fat! His hormones took a long time to settle down after being neutered, whereas the others were totally fine.

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
funny, never thought about that before. it's something i'll definitely have to watch as clinton matures. he was neutered early, but is filling out to be one long lean muscular young man.

shiari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mallorn was neutered at age 2, and he's an incredibly solid cat. 12lbs of pure muscle.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Toby was nutered at 4-5 months...and while he`s a bit pudgy in the belly, he is also a BIG and very muscular , energetic cat weighing 15 pounds. (Just turned a year old last month)
Linda

tabaqui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luci was neutered at about six months and if he had more exercise (I can't let him out; the landlord doesn't know he exists) I'm fairly sure he would be very very muscular. As it is he's still pretty big and strong.

yangdemei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat I used to live with
was fixed at a very young age. This guy is the most muscular cat I have ever seen. 18+ pounds, about18-24 inches long, and built like a proverbial brick sh&* house. When he slept on your chest, you knew it!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our boys we fixed at 6 months and they are very musclar, the biggest cats I've ever seen, actually. I don't think muscles have got anything to do with neutering.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to concur with the majority. Trent was neutered at 6 months, and he is a BIG boy! He's about 15-16 lbs. and pretty much solid muscle. He is STRONG and has been known to grab on to a toy so hard that we can't take it away from him (fishing pole type toys, where we have the advantage of leverage and torque on our side, and he can still hold on tight!).

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont know about cats, but the breeder that we got our dog from recomended waiting until a year to neuter for a couple of medical reasons (specific to large breed male dogs) and because the hormones cause the dog to become more muscular and to develop masculine features. it makes perfect sense to me that testosterone would affect growth... all un-neutered tomcats that i have ever met have had a distinctly large head.

that being said, im all for spaying and neutering pets... and i dont think that an un-neutered animal would be any healthier because of this growth unless there are specific health concerns as in LB dogs. but i do believe that hormones affect growth.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

Our boys we fixed at 6 months and they are very musclar, the biggest cats I've ever seen, actually. I don't think muscles have got anything to do with neutering.
I have to agree, but also to share an observation that my vets confirmed. I noticed that male cats neutered at an early age tended to be longer, and often longer limbed, than those neutered after maturity. They could thus appear less muscular. One vet lent me an article on bone growth in male cats, which pointed out that human "castrati" (the singers, who were castrated before puberty) were usually described as being very tall and long-limbed.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike was neutered at about 3 months and is long, lean and incredibly muscular. According to our vet, he's the ideal weight for a cat his size and build. Oz was neutered at about five months and is only a little bit overweight, but is still also very muscular. I haven't really noticed an appreciable difference with any other cats I've known, regardless of when they were neutered.