Muscle Aches And Diarrhea

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am at a loss as to what to do with my cat.
Merlin is 10 months old, he did a long antibiotic course therapy last summer for a tricky pneumonia and then he was totally fine.
In october we changed food, suspecting an allergy, and he started to have diarrhea. We went back to the previous food and then to a gastro-intestinal one, and he got better, but never normal. He sometimes has normal stool, and then the next day runny ones. We found giardia in the feces and did a 5 day course therapy with fenbendazole. We still have to re-check for cysts, but they told me it's enough for sure (bah).
Around ten days ago he started to look kinda sick: he stopped to jump, run and play. He didn't look depressed or lethargic per sé, he just started to move less and slower.
After a LOT of visits, here's what we know:
- no fever, never
- intense muscle pain in the rear legs. Nothing neurological: normal strenght and equilibrium. No articolar pain.
- nothing abnormal at abdominal palpation and lungs and heart visit (he also did an echocardiogram during last summer). No weight loss.
- at blood panel, no signs of infections (normal wb count, no anemia, normal albumin and globulin, normal liver enzymes. Creatinine a little high, still normal, but he took NSAIDS during this period, normal BUN, FELV e FIV - )

I have no idea what to do. With NSAIDs he's perfectly fine and starts to run and play, but we can't just continue to drug him without knowing the cause. We did another blood panel today, looking for more intestinal values (I have no idea what, something about folates, b12 and stuff).
So he has diarrhea (possibly still from giardia?) and muscle aches, do you have any similar experience?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet specifically test for polymositis? This is a generalized condition which presents as inflammation of the muscle tissue. It is rare in cats, but rare does not mean never. It presents itself usually due to a decreased immune system, or infection or sorts that suppresses the immune system. Perhaps the giardia triggered it, because his immune system was compromised while infected. And if his digestive system is compromised, even without the giardia, it could still mean his immune system is "low". That could be why the NSAIDs work for him.
You mention that the creatinine was a little high, even if still in "normal range", it does indicate that some muscle inflammation/damage could be present.

Just a quick question...Does you cat regurgitate at all?