Munchkin kittens

Akittytoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious about Munchkin kittens. I know their history and that they are not accepted as a breed by the CFA. But in my research I have come up with two questions I was hoping you could help me with.
First, I know a munchkin can jump up, but can they jump down from, say, a cat tree?
Secondly, I found on google that I can get a kitten for 2-500.00. But contacting a few breeders they want $1500 for a kitten. So if I fine one for $500 is that just from a kitten mill, or a home breeder? I don’t want to jeopardize my kittens health for a kitten mill,but can’t justify $1500 for a kitten either.

thanks for your help!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no personal experience with the Munchkin breed, so I can't comment on their jumping ability.

Google is not a very good source of information on cat breeds and kitten costs. A better way to get accurate information is to talk with breeders, as you have done. Since you spoke to multiple breeders, it's likely that the $1500 that you were quoted is a better estimate of the actual price you would expect to pay from a normal breeder. Kittens sold at an extremely low price are more likely to come from a backyard breeder.

If you can't afford the price of a kitten, but you are really attached to the idea of getting a Munchkin, another option is to look for a retired adult cat. Often breeders will have retired adults available, or young adults that didn't work out as show or breeding cats, and are available at a lower price than a kitten would be.

In either case, plan to take your time searching for a good breeder. As I mostly show in CFA, I haven't personally talked to many Munchkin breeders, but I expect there are some wonderful breeders and some terrible ones out there.

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most purebred kittens from responsible breeders are unlikely to be under $1,000, with the amount of money spend in responsible breeding, the breeder is still likely selling at a loss at that price. I don't have personal experience with munchkins, but I do know it's from dwarfism, so they likely have a lot of health issues that can happen, meaning extensive testing of the parents is even more important and that costs a lot of money. As said many breeders in general do sell retired breeders at a lower price, and most retire cats by the time they are a few years old, so they are still young cats so don't think "retired" means old.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also search for a Breed Rescue group for Munchkins. Breed rescue groups are groups that rescue a particular breed. They will rescue cats that are abandoned for what severer reason, for example the original owner's death or incapacity to continue to care for the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Akittytoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I have been at work all day so sorry I didn’t reply. I have read your messages but will reread them tomorrow. Going to bed now but have tomorrow off.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER buy from a 'mill' or breeder that doesn't provide a home environment. There is bound to be so much stress in a cat that is confined all the time and had little interaction with humans at a home level. Definitely consider a home breeder but insist on seeing where the cats are housed and raised. It breaks my heart to see all those unwanted cats at shelters to even consider buying from a breeder myself. You also might want to see if there are any "Munchkin Rescue" shelters that have rescued them from unsavory breeders. Since a munchkin is a genetic trait that can happen in other breeds, there may be some in regular shelters too. Google it.