Multiple Procedures

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally made the appointment to get Bynx's canine tooth removed. The tip was broken off when we adopted him, and our vet confirmed that the pulp is showing so we saved up to get it out. And I booked it for when I would be home for his recovery (I'm off for two weeks around Christmas)
Bynx also has Herpes Virus and an ongoing sinus infection. Treated multiple times with antibiotics which would temporarily get rid of his nasal symptoms, but it's back again.
While he is under anesthesia for the extraction, we asked our vet if we could do a nasal flush at the same time (something we discussed if the infection came back after the last round of antibiotics). Our vet agreed that it would be perfectly fine to do both the nasal flush and the extraction in the same appointment, so we only have to anesthetize him once.
She will be sending what comes out from the nasal flush for DNA testing and cultures and also look for signs of polyps and such in the nasal cavity.
Bynx is also due for his boosters, and I asked if that can also be done at the same time (at the end so it doesn't mess with the nasal results - just in case). The vaccines were an afterthought so I'm not sure if that can be done, the vet was busy at the time I asked. They said they would put a note on his appointment to do it if possible.

Has anyone else had the experience where doing vaccines is effective and safe if general anesthesia has also been done? Would the vaccines interact with the probable pain meds and antibiotics that will most likely be given due to the extraction? I will ask the vet but thought I would see what others think. His appointment isn't until the 27th, but I like having all my ducks in a row in advance.
I trust my vet but I'm still nervous about this whole thing. Any advice on his recovery would be greatly appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is their first booster since we adopted them almost a year ago (and it's a bit overdue). The last vaccinations they were given was at the shelter and two of them were rescued off the street, the third was (I think) born at the shelter or brought in as a wee kitten with it's family.
I'm not a "yearly vaxxer" person anyway, but because of their (two of them) health I feel like I want to get this one year booster and kinda go from there. My other indoor cats basically got their first shots and that's it, they were perfectly fine.
When I discussed vaccinations with my vet she did say that yearly was not always necessary, especially with healthy cats.
But because of their current compromised immune systems, and the fact that we want to start fostering for our local shelter, I'm doing everything to get their health back on track, so that we can help out our shelter.

Your link did not load for me, so I did not get to read it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My former vet (retired), super old-school, didn't like to do vaccines with antibiotics. He said the antibiotics might make their body not develop proper immunities. But the CDC says that antibiotics don't interfere with vaccines, as long as you don't have a fever.

I'd probably want to wait a week or two, if possible. If that's not possible, it does appear to be safe in general, I just feel like that's a lot for their body to deal with all at once.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think in a multi-cat household, especially ones that involve immune-compromised scenarios, boosters are probably more pertinent that otherwise. However, too many procedures at once is always a concern, because if something goes wrong then you never know for sure what was/were the cause(s). I'll really throw a wrench in this and suggest if you can wait on the other procedures to do the boosters first (sorry), and then wait for a few weeks to do the rest.

Btw, the link white shadow white shadow offered worked for me as well. Re-linking, in case that makes any difference.
Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I very much advice against it. His immune system will need to check and take care of each so it might be too much to handle but also the immune system will get weaker for being busy, which might trigger more problems with herpes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The link works now. Maybe it was just me :paperbag:
So, I think I have decided to wait on the vaccines for Bynx. He is currently battling a stubborn sinus infection, and the simple fact that they recommend NOT vaccinating while sick is enough for me. The tooth and sinus flush are necessary at this time, so I will proceed with both. If the tooth is contributing to stress, that's not good for his Herpes and we need to get a good sample of mucus for testing and it will most definitely help with his breathing, even if just temporary.

I also e-mailed my vet asking about their use (if they use) adjuvents in their vaccinations as I'm not comfortable with it.
I also asked them about titer testing.

Unfortunately we have already gotten Lily's one year booster last week, so I'll just have to hope that everything will be fine. I generally don't vaccinate past the one year booster, so at this point she's all done anyway. In a couple of years I may try the titer test to see what's what with her and the other's immunity.

Chester is set to get his one year booster the same day of Bynx's surgery, at pick up. We'll see what the vet says about the adjuvents and such before I make my final decision. But as mentioned, I don't usually continue to vaccinate my cats anyway, it's just this one year booster that is in question.

The one thing that really made we want to get their vaccinations was the fact that both Lily and Bynx get herpes flair ups and I heard that the vaccine can help lessen the severity of symptoms. Thoughts?