Multiple issues. Guidance appreciated

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think pumpkin is useful with either constipation or diahrea.   It`s counterintuitive and I cannot explain why it works for both.   Perhaps someone else knows.

beaverlaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your little guys. I've been trying to read all through the posts and probably haven't uncovered all of them, but I do have something to add, which I'm hoping it could lead you down another avenue to check. Someone mentioned 'Stomatitis.' 

Stomatitis is nasty and painful and will cause vomiting. I have a rescue, Peanut. He had Stomatitis when I rescued him a year and a half ago when he was about 7-8 months old and existing on bugs, I figure because of his emaciation, and an occasional mouse or bird. From Aug. to Dec. 30 he was outside and I fed him well and he gained weight and eventually was catching lots of mice and birds. By the time I adopted him as an inside-only cat January 1st, he had 'Severe and Chronic Stomatitis (diagnosis from lab). Here it is a YEAR later and I'm still fighting Stomatitis via vet visits and lots of cortocosteriods injections.  It causes vomiting and regurgitating before he even swallows sometimes. It's about $1000 later, too.  I could ONLY feed him pate' wet food; he'd throw up hard food or chunky wet food in a second.

I had a four year old that vomited several times a day (years ago) and his name was Gremmie.  Gremmie would throw up food and froth and yellow bile stomach acid several times a day.  It took that imaging test you just talked about to find growths in his lymph nodes; they said it's cancer. I had to put him down.

Finally, I have a 14 year old diabetic cat that pees and drinks a lot, in spite of my vet-advised/Rx's Insulin I give him. He is ALSO prone to bouts of vomiting now and then----a LOT before he was diagnosed with diabetes. Of course the insulin should alleviate all that drinking and peeing, but he is a cat that 'carresses' water when he drinks and spends a long time at the water bowl, plus he is a big cat and has bigger pee-clumps than normal. He gets 2 1/2 units 2X a day of insulin.

As I said, the only thing I found while reading this post was the mention of Stomatitis that I have experience with. I wanted to add the other experiences I had that I didn't see mentioned.

Prayers for your little guy and for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you beaverlaker. I wondered if the pain and even the bleeding from the stomatitis would cause nausea, vomiting. I asked the vet this week when I went for a follow up and he said it's a possibility but since the vomiting stopped after switching him back to the hydrolized, wallet-stripping prescription canned food, he hasn't vomited. He also mentioned the future may hold the need to remove his teeth. That made me sad. I've read that it ultimately makes the cat happier and healthier but he is just so young. :(

beaverlaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haze N Blaze:

Remove his teeth? That's the last remedy for Stomatitis.  But your vet said Stomatitis '...it's a possibility but since the vomiting stopped after switching him back to the hydrolized, wallet-stripping prescription canned food, he hasn't vomited.'  With that statement, it sounds like he/she isn't sure it's Stomatitis.

Just to play devil's advocate here.....Peanut, in a whole year, tried to eat dry food (while he was being sustained on wet food) because he apparently liked it.  Some times he threw up; sometimes he did NOT throw up.  I deduced that SOME times the pointy dry food would 'touch' the sore spot/s of the Stomatitis and SOME times they would not and he didn't throw up if all went down OK. 

It sounds like your vet doesn't know what to look for with Stomatitis. I was shown by my vet, but it was hard for me to see it, as the insides of cat's mouth are pink anyway.  But my vet said it's all raw and sore behind his lower molars on both sides of his mouth (this last appointment I had for Peanut, which was last Friday afternoon. Ultimately, I'm taking his word for it. He's very experienced in what to look for.

Oh, and that Friday appointment was for another reason, too. When I took Peanut in, he had two (2) severe URI's which required several doses of two (2) different antibiotics.  It took about 6 months for THEM to clear up and by last Friday when I took him in, he was showing the symptoms (now very recognizable to me) of another URI !!!  I said how can that be when he never goes outside?  When none of our cats go outside? When no cats have visited?  What it is there is flora (bacteria), both good and bad in the nose and sinuses and the bad just got compromised to where the bad multiplied beyond the normal level; hence the runny nose, sneezing, even blood flecks because he broke a tiny blood vessel in his nose (it happens to people, too) and I thought, not a URI again!!   How???  So that's why we are still running out the weeks worth of antibiotics (a pink, minty nasty liquid he hates) 2X a day and he got his steroid for that reoccurring Stomatitis. 

I'll say one thing, cats face a hell of a life outside with what can kill them and they suffer with all kinds of diseases, fleas, ticks, worms, etc. let ALONE coyotes, loose dogs, foxes, cars, people poisoning them, people shooting them, even stepping on a discarded broken bottle and cutting their foot/leg!!  Peanut had two (2) kinds of worms, two (2) kinds of URI, and Stomatitis besides the fleas and ticks he had on him and he was such a bag of bones, so desperate for food that I discovered him eating the bread I put out for the birds.  That's rock bottom. The shelter would never have spent the money on him that I did to make him healthy. He would have been put down.

I'm rambling here...........I DO hope things work out for you and I really hope I've been able to help.  Ask another vet to look at him---I did that at our  practice because I plain do not like one of the 3 vets they have.  That's another story as to why. 

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he meant the nausea and vomiting episodes "could have" been caused by the stomatitis but he feels it was more related to a food allergy. But either way, he has stomatitis. He said it could be due to URIs, the FHV,or god forbid something else. He showed me the stomatitis at the first vet visit. It's broken gums, raw, red, irritated, open. I've looked every few days to see improvement because I've been using the oral rinse.

Teeth removal at this point is my last option. Haze's age, money, and still not being satisfied that all has been investigated makes me not want to move forward with that yet.

Thank you everyone for you input, thoughts, resources, and well wishes.

His diarrhea is markedly improved by going back on the hydrolized canned food. I guess the natural choice really just did not agree with him despite the grain free, all meat ingredients. I wonder if it was the guar gum?

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do they eat dry food?  Often, vomiting is the result of eating too much at one time, since dry food expands in the stomach as fluids are absorbed.  If so, put the dry food into a a slimcat ball which will slow down how quickly they eat:

I have a box with low sides (like 4 inches) in my kitchen -- I leave a full ball in it when I am out and the cats feed themselves but don't gorge.  It really helps prevent vomiting of dry food.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to do 3/4 wet with 1/4 dry but I stopped feeding dry a few months ago after my other cat had trouble with constipation.

lene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just read this thread; I hope Haze is much better..........but if he's not, try Blue Buffalo foods..........they have so many and they're more "pure" than most............also, I totally understand about vet bills but I think I'd try another vet if there are still problems and get them to request all the info from the previous vet.  

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo has been exposed for deceptive claims about their food.  I don`t think I would trust it.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is the baby? Little better I hope.

It does seem that one thing after another is not a good sign.

I hope Haze is feeling better.

snaddlebeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

I'm pleased to see you switched to grain-free as I was going to suggest your cat might have some kind of celiac disease! In humans this is a grain allergy that causes ulcers all along the alimentary canal and even in the mouth - it was the mouth sores that made me think of it. It can cause puking and elimination problems. I blame Science Diet for my old cat's constant bladder infections - if you Google Hills + cat bladder problems and throwing up you'll see a lot of anecdotes.

If the puke is meatloaf form that suggests regurgitation rather than vomit? The food is undigested? That can be caused by a reaction to the food rather than a gastro.

Check out if there is a celiac like condition in cats...

good luck, hope it's improved since Nov.

lene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was some time ago and they have published an explanation......I still think they are one of the better choices........IMO of course.  

“Blue Buffalo has recently learned from Wilbur-Ellis, a major U.S. Company that supplies ingredients to us and many other well-known brands of pet foods, that a Texas pet food ingredient processing plant they own had mislabeled some of the ingredients they shipped to their customers. So while their customers were ordering and paying for 100% chicken meal, at times they were receiving shipments that contained poultry by-product meal.”

“Since this Wilbur-Ellis plant was the source of some of our chicken meal, we may have received some of these mislabeled shipments, and there likely are numerous other pet food companies who also received these mislabeled ingredients. The FDA has been informed of this situation, and you may rest assured that this mislabeling poses no health, safety or nutrition issue. And while this is comforting, since the health and well-being of our dogs and cats comes before anything else, the fact that any Blue Buffalo food could include a mislabeled ingredient is totally unacceptable. As a result, we have stopped doing business with this plant.”

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/surprising-statement-from-blue-buffalo-pet-food/

siold

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

Ok.

I recommend purchasing a product called Jackson Galaxy’s Spirit Essences Healthy Helper.

I am glad Haze is getting better.

When I first adopted Cheddar she had a problem with drinking excess amounts of water.

Your post was very long, so I was forced to speed read it.

I hate being the kind of person who does this, but I have a very hard time reading large amounts at once.

Do you know how long a Loratadine injection lasts?

I don’t think you are looking at gastritis here.

All bowel movements are good.

Have you had any luck with the lysine?

Sounds like things are going well.

This is my first time seeing this thread.

Hmm…

I agree with smoke.

Ok…

Haze has Feline Herpesvirus Infection?

Don’t feed a food that contains Carrageenan.

Colloidal silver is great for many different problems.

Don’t give cat’s tap water.

No matter how good a food is you should never feed it if it makes your cat sick.

Have you gotten an ultrasound yet?

I’m just thinking…

Has he been wormed with Pyrantel Palmate?

My daughter says it can make cats sick.

Pumpkin would be good to add to his food.

I’m very sorry to hear about your problems.

Teeth removal might be a good idea.

Do you feed any dry food?

I hope Haze gets better soon.

I personally wouldn’t feed Blue Buffalo.

How is Haze doing?

Give him a hug from me.

I know some people like Blue Buffalo, but I’ve never been a fan of it.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
The vomiting and salty lysine and dry food probably hurt his poor gums. Stick to wet grain free food and add spring water to it for hydration. Does your cat go outside? Tapeworms And intestinal parasites can cause vomiting. They can get worms from killing a mouse.

Last edited:

siold

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stomach acid will burn the gums over time.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That was some time ago and they have published an explanation......I still think they are one of the better choices........IMO of course.  

“Blue Buffalo has recently learned from Wilbur-Ellis, a major U.S. Company that supplies ingredients to us and many other well-known brands of pet foods, that a Texas pet food ingredient processing plant they own had mislabeled some of the ingredients they shipped to their customers. So while their customers were ordering and paying for 100% chicken meal, at times they were receiving shipments that contained poultry by-product meal.”

“Since this Wilbur-Ellis plant was the source of some of our chicken meal, we may have received some of these mislabeled shipments, and there likely are numerous other pet food companies who also received these mislabeled ingredients. The FDA has been informed of this situation, and you may rest assured that this mislabeling poses no health, safety or nutrition issue. And while this is comforting, since the health and well-being of our dogs and cats comes before anything else, the fact that any Blue Buffalo food could include a mislabeled ingredient is totally unacceptable. As a result, we have stopped doing business with this plant.”

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/surprising-statement-from-blue-buffalo-pet-food/
The person who owns Blue Buffalo made his money in Sobe drinks before that.   He frequently marketed Sobe with misleading claims about its health benefits until the FDA  put a stop to it.   When he first started out it was in the ad dept for products like Tang and Kool-Aid.   This guy`s whole career was spent making a buck off of products through clever or downright deceptive ads.   Nothing has changed really.

lene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK; you "win".......I don't have the time to keep posting but I still like Blue Buffalo......... :)

catmom8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat Tiger had a similar urinary problem my vet put him on Elavil- a human drug for anxiety and it worked! 

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So many good suggestions here. Sorry you are going through this so near the holidays. I just wanted to share my experience with the first cat I ever had that lived to be 15 years old. She threw up a lot, the different vets she had been to just tried to tell me it was hairballs. I knew what a hairball looked like, she used to throw up her food, frequently. I tried everything....after the Internet became available and she had passed already I tried doing some research and I believe she was having allergic reactions to her food. I always felt so bad for her and couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm just grateful she lasted as long as she did. Since then I've had six other cats and many have had vomiting issues. Now it has been described to me that allergic reactions in cats affect the digestive tract in various ways. Can be severe...scar tissue build up can cause blockages, etc. One vet had me give a cat who was vomitting the frothy foam (excess acid evidently) 1/2 of a regular Pepcid. This seemed to help a lot. Also, temporarily, maybe just feed some bland diet of boiled chicken to let the stomach calm a bit. Stay away from any fish flavored foods - anything - any brand - treats, etc. That helped my one cat. But you have to figure out what your cat might be allergic to. I'm no expert either, but I agree with all those who are geared toward allergy as the issue.

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the vomiting is due to eating too much at each feeding?  Try cutting the serving in half and see if he throws up later.