Multiple Cats And Cat Communication Question.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's definitely "talk" to one another. I remember when Suzie's kittens were old enough to walk and play on their own and it was time for a feeding, Suzie would walk up to them, and call out to them with a verbal call I never had heard before and they obediently followed their mother to a quiet area where they could nurse. That call Suzie gave to her kittens, they knew exactly what their mother wanted and followed. On the other had, of all the "meows" Suzie would direct to me, that "mom call" she gave to her kittens I never heard from her. She never used that tone on a human.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Inkysmom:

That's a level of affection I miss. Zombi was devoted to us.

I think, under the lack of trust and the fear, there's a cat nearly that affectionate in El just waiting to come out.

Mazie:

The mom stuff was what I thought was the only time cats meowed at each other. Mom to kitten.

I'm as content to be wrong about that as I am to have a weird cat.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: Rest assured, you do not have a weird cat. It makes sense that animals communicate verbally with one another like humans do with each other. Katy and I carry on conversations. I will say something to her and she will meow back to me, I will say something else and so forth and so on. We all have experienced that. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mazie:

Oh yeah. Zombi and I had conversations. And El is quite the chatterbox.

1CatOverTheLine:

I am a known weird person.

And one more escape from El, and everyone on my street will know it, too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new to multiple cats. For the longest time, I thought cats did not get along with each other. That they weren't social animals, and only tolerated...I dunno, it doesn't make sense now.

Because I have two littermates now, and I watch them doing their thing all the time. Their adorable 'competitive grooming'--they don't always take turns, so they both groom the other's face at the same time--and their slightly creepy 'moving the same way at the same time'.

Today, though, I encountered something that I can't make sense of.

El 'announced' or 'greeted' me [still working out her language--it's a process], then, a bit later, Morti came into the room.

El meowed like she did when she saw me.

Cats don't meow to each other, though, right?

My question, I guess, is: people with more than one cat--what just happened? Did El greet Morti, or did El announce Morti's presence to the rest of us?

Do your cats ever meow to each other?

Is this another thing I 'know' that's wrong?
I've lived with cats all my life, literally, and in my experience, cats will hiss, growl, and yowl at one another when they have a problem with another cat, but they don't meow to one another. That's reserved for trying to get things through humans' thick heads :crackup:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a stray mama cat and her 4 kittens. The kittens were walking in a strait line with the mom trailing behind and the mom making a continuous weird meow like "don't do this" "don't do that"