Multiple cat question

wolfytoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I am new to the board! My name is Carrie and I live in NH. I currently have 6 cats. They are all purebreds, except one which is a long-haired stray that my fiancee found as a baby about 4 years ago. They all range in age from 4 years to 11 months.

I am thinking of possibly getting two more kittens. Both would come from very good breeders (different breeds).

All of my cats are healthy and very spoiled. They are strictly indoor only, all neutered/spayed, and I clean and disinfect their litter boxes weekly.

I am scared of FIP. Am I increasing my risk of this by purchasing two more cats? None of the breeders I have purchased from have ever had FIP.

I do not breed or show, I am just a cat lover. I will certainly not adopt any more after this.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having multiple cats always increases all risks. You took a chance on FIP with all the cats in the house. It has been around for at least 5 years. If you are buying from a respected breeder your chances are pretty slim. By inspecting the house and cattery, you can get a good idea of the general health. You can also request to speak with the cattery vet. Chances are that if you choose a breeder carefully and check the health and history the odds are slim to none. If you want 2 more cats I would go for it.

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I agree with Sandie. Do your research and you should be fine.

F.I.P. is not necessarily a death sentence. I have heard of F.I.P. positive cats, not shedding the virus and living to a reasonable old age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolfytoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies. I am just nervous in general, I would be devastated if anything ever happened to one of my babies. I have badgered each breeder with questions and I am sure I have driven them insane. LOL.

Does anyone agree that quarantining each kitten when I bring it home for at least a month or two is a good idea?

Thanks again!!
Carrie

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a month or two is necessary. Kittens will usually show signs of illness within 2 to 3 weeks. Weather it be just well germs or adjusting to the new house. Also within breeding facilities FIP normally effects the young kittens with a weak immune system.