Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

Cats:
Mine: Maine Coon 2 years old, Siamese 1 year old
Mom: Himalayan - 8 years old

Long story short, mother came over to live with me at apartment - brought her cat over. Small space, so placed their litter box in enclosed balcony. Cats started to itch - for some reason didn't think much of it. Now we moved to a house.

Maine Coon+Himalayan are hairy cats - so hard to see. But my "wedge" Siamese isn't. I noticed some "brown" creatures under fur at back of neck - i matched them to fleas. They look the same, they move quick (very hard for me to grab onto them), all cats occasionally itch around the neck area.

I'm almost positive it came from my apartment balcony - it's Florida, it's hot, their poop attracted bugs, that behavior was never that way until I moved their box outside.

So - I'm not sure what the best option to do.
1- PO (by mouth options) - but I'm worried about side effects. I also think I need a prescription for that - with the hurricane, unsure when the next appointment is.
2- Neck collars that you place behind their neck/between their shoulder blades - I read a TON of reviews online claiming their cats have passed away from using it. My concern with this option is - the Maine Coon and Siamese like to play with each other and occasionally, my Maine Coon bite the Siamese from the back of his neck.
3- Fine comb + shampoo... this sounds like hell. The fine comb might work with the Siamese - but with the hairy cats - NOPE. The shampoo is also an issue because you have to wash the effected area (including head/neck) - last time I bathed my cats, I had to use "cones" around their head b/c they are so terrified of any water even if it doesn't come close to their face (used the box, low water level, use scoop for watering - very controlled method. They were terrified).

I'm not certain the extend of the "infestation". I haven't seen it on the MC, seen only 1 on the Hima and a couple on the Siamese - however, given they live together... it's probably a BOGO. Any options/advice/products of recommendation that don't kill?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get spot on stuff for the back of the neck, from my vets, vets can prescribe stuff to get rid of fleas that is reasonably safe for cats (here in the UK anyway)

(when I say reasonably safe, I mean if the human is sensible about using it and doesn't contaminate the cats foods or waters with it)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have seen fleas (even one) on your cat, chances are they are now in your home and you not only need to treat the cat(s), but you need to get rid of any fleas inside and outside the home. Hopefully there is something in this thread that will assist you: fleas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read it - I can take care of the house portion - but still doesn't answer the portion for the CATS themselves. Capster the tablet mentioned - is "short acting" - doesn't help. Topical advantage is mentioned as safe - but may not be effective. So... essentially no answer yet. I see a lot of topicals (example Frontline), collars (example Seresto). They may work on ONE cat as it's very hard to "lick" between your shoulder blades. But I have 3 cats - 2 of them are very much into each other and are always licking one another everywhere. These topicals/collars are supposed to be long acting - meaning even if it dries it's still active. I don't know how poisonous these are. I'm racking my head over this

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why not discuss this with your Vet to see the best way to take care of the fleas? I've read that in Florida the topicals aren't working well anymore for some reason, so probably Capstar is your best bet, but your Vet should know best. With Capstar, you can give it as often as you need, so once daily, if required. I wouldn't think you'd need it that often, but it's supposedly that safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the Vet I go to... won't be back until close to Thanksgiving (end of November). They said it should be okay to wait until then since it's not an urgent problem. But I want to try something ASAP not wait that long. I can try another vet... but - honestly, it's hard to find a vet I can trust (you would not believe the address I got earlier about my cats). The healthcare system here in Florida is abysmal at best for people and somewhat animals. I can speak from the people side.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
B Baz84 Hi Baz! I've had some infestations over the years and can provide some tips I've used.

1 - flea bath first for each cat. Anything with a bit of alcohol that's safe for cats should work. Before you place the cat in water, put a ring of the shampoo around the neck. Fleas will migrate to the head to be safe from the water. You're preventing this.
1. (B) consider shaving or trimming the long haired cats to make the process more manageable.

2 - While cats dry, treat the home. (Also food grade diatomaceous earth under the baseboards can help. Use a mask for yourself and a paper to push it under. It won't cause issues after because it's under the door. It is safe for cats, but it can be an irritant for the lungs and breathing passages. However since it's pushed fully under the baseboards it won't get kicked up by movement. Both wife and I have athsma and attest to this).

3 - Apply topical anti flea to the cats. I used the Zodiac brand of flea drops for them. I also used to use this brand on my pet rats; still the cat version of the drops. Cats should be fully dry for this.

Additional help: HEPA filter on your vacuum if you don't have one already as it actually kills pests during cleanup. Fleas, bed bugs and other pests can live inside of a vacuum without a HEPA filter.

The shampoo I used to use was Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo (regular kind). They used to (or still do?) test on animals so it is safe for use. I still use that when I have to give a bath for cats. I keep a small sample sizes bottle on hand. I found it gentler on the skin. We had problems with dandruff for our cats with cat shampoo before so this is why I made that choice.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) call your vet and ask what flea medication they advice. Fleas can become resistant to flea medications in an area. About 5? 7? Years ago I had this happen with advantage!
2) every cat gets a bath with baby shampoo. Start the suds at the neck, work your way down, once your cst is all bubbled up set a timer for 5 minutes, then rinse your cat off.
3) while you bathe your cat, wash all their bedding. Wash all your bedding and all the fabrics you can.
4) vacuum daily and put a new vacuum bag in your vacuum once a week. This catches the flea eggs before they hatch.
5) last but not least, put a topical flea poison like Cheristin on each cat (after their bath..... the bath if nothing else, is a good start.) Keep using flea medication on your cats year round or at least until frost sets in.

⭐get at least 1 other litter box, in another room. My single kitty uses 2 boxes. Also my guy is super long (about 20 inches without the tail) since he is part siamese and his “large” litter box is so small for him that he often perched on the entrance of it. The empty large storage tub fits his size better. So that may be a solution. Look for a tub with a smooth bottom.

Attachments

LeanneRae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

Cats:
Mine: Maine Coon 2 years old, Siamese 1 year old
Mom: Himalayan - 8 years old

Long story short, mother came over to live with me at apartment - brought her cat over. Small space, so placed their litter box in enclosed balcony. Cats started to itch - for some reason didn't think much of it. Now we moved to a house.

Maine Coon+Himalayan are hairy cats - so hard to see. But my "wedge" Siamese isn't. I noticed some "brown" creatures under fur at back of neck - i matched them to fleas. They look the same, they move quick (very hard for me to grab onto them), all cats occasionally itch around the neck area.

I'm almost positive it came from my apartment balcony - it's Florida, it's hot, their poop attracted bugs, that behavior was never that way until I moved their box outside.

So - I'm not sure what the best option to do.
1- PO (by mouth options) - but I'm worried about side effects. I also think I need a prescription for that - with the hurricane, unsure when the next appointment is.
2- Neck collars that you place behind their neck/between their shoulder blades - I read a TON of reviews online claiming their cats have passed away from using it. My concern with this option is - the Maine Coon and Siamese like to play with each other and occasionally, my Maine Coon bite the Siamese from the back of his neck.
3- Fine comb + shampoo... this sounds like hell. The fine comb might work with the Siamese - but with the hairy cats - NOPE. The shampoo is also an issue because you have to wash the effected area (including head/neck) - last time I bathed my cats, I had to use "cones" around their head b/c they are so terrified of any water even if it doesn't come close to their face (used the box, low water level, use scoop for watering - very controlled method. They were terrified).

I'm not certain the extend of the "infestation". I haven't seen it on the MC, seen only 1 on the Hima and a couple on the Siamese - however, given they live together... it's probably a BOGO. Any options/advice/products of recommendation that don't kill?
Capstar pills will kill all the fleas and eggs on the cat but first make sure you clean & treat any place they lay often and if carpets definitely treat them! Then give the topical (we used advantage) and then after we got them out of house we gave both are cats and dogs with capstar pill and it worked within 5 minutes! You’ll have to comb your long haired cats but they typically just fall right out! Good luck 🍀