Multiple Allergy Symptoms. Help!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MIRACLE!!!! Huxley is eating Wild Calling rabbit! Without his old food mixed to it or next to the bowl!
I did what you advised me to do this morning and had both out next to each other. When I came back, he had eaten most of both. I gave him his second meal of the day, but this tome he smelled the new food, but only ate the old one (good thing I suppose since it had the lred in it!). I took the bowls away after 40 minutes, played with him, and an hour and a half later, he started meowing and looking at me with a "hey ma! I'm hungry!" Look. I put the new food out alone... and miracle! After circling and smelling the bowl a couple of time, he dove in, and ate about 3/4 of what I served him!
Thank you so much!!! Now all I hope is that the blood test was right, and he is indeed not allergic to any of the ingredients in this food!

Attachments

Larkspur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going through the same thing with an 11 month old I've had 5 weeks. It's my third cat with food allergies and back in the day (33 years ago) cat food wasn't was it was today. I'm in Europe at this point and there was one wet food I found that might work for you if you can find it in north America. Animonda Integra has a lamb and rice with canola oil.
Hope everything gets better.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I think I did my victory dance a little too soon...
The day after eating the new food, Huxley refused to eat it again. He's now back on nutro chicken (and even sometimes doesn't want to eat that if it has pred in it or the probiotic I am trying to get him to take) I have ordered another type of food (addiction rabbit), but again he won't eat it. Today I'm going to get ground pork and see if I have better luck with that, but ai doubt it. To be honest i am at my wits end.

huxleysmom huxleysmom , how is Huxley doing?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley is supposedly allergic to Lamb. The only protein that cane back negative for allergies are rabbit and pork.

Good luck with your kitty. I hope he is more cooperative than huxley!
I'm going through the same thing with an 11 month old I've had 5 weeks. It's my third cat with food allergies and back in the day (33 years ago) cat food wasn't was it was today. I'm in Europe at this point and there was one wet food I found that might work for you if you can find it in north America. Animonda Integra has a lamb and rice with canola oil.
Hope everything gets better.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I think I did my victory dance a little too soon...
I have ordered another type of food (addiction rabbit), but again he won't eat it. ...
My last cat ate Addiction's Black Forest Rabbit for a while. She hated the Duck Confit, though. It is a wetter, smoother pate than the rabbit. Maybe, using the reverse of that anecdote, your cat won't eat the Rabbit, but might eat the Duck (I do realize, though, that duck might be too close to turkey and chicken --- but I know my current cat is allergic to chicken big time but eats Merrick's LID Turkey pate with no issues).

I feel for you...:alright:

Larkspur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry didn't see it on my list. My girl is pretty easy. Had an ear infection when I first got her and she got the runs and was hyperactive within an hour of a new food being ingested. She's tolerating chicken, so an elimination diet will work for me.

You've got a tough road ahead, I wish Huxley the best!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The allergy test says he is allergic to boyh Chicken and Turkey, but I have not tried turkey yet. Right now I just want him to eat, but i think all of these changes is stressing him out. The wheezing has stopped but he is chewing on his paws again today and his ears are getting full of wax again. He is still taking pred, but I have not managed to get him to finish a single meal in the last couple of days so he is probably not getting the full dose.

My last cat ate Addiction's Black Forest Rabbit for a while. She hated the Duck Confit, though. It is a wetter, smoother pate than the rabbit. Maybe, using the reverse of that anecdote, your cat won't eat the Rabbit, but might eat the Duck (I do realize, though, that duck might be too close to turkey and chicken --- but I know my current cat is allergic to chicken big time but eats Merrick's LID Turkey pate with no issues).

I feel for you...:alright:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He just through himself at Halo Vigor Turkey and Quail. This one has no fish in it, or chicken. I know it's not ideal, but he is devouring it, which is more yhan he has done for the past few days. I'm going to stick with that and see how he does. Finger crossed he can tolerate it.
Like my vet says, better a cat that eats and has to take allergy medication than a cat who will get some serious illness if he doesn't eat at all!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't believe this! After jumping on Halo Vigor like his life depended on it eaterday, Huxley now refuses to eat it! Why??? Why is he determined to make our life so difficult?!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear. Sorry to hear that. :(

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a temporary hiccup for y'all. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he wants to eat... but is he maybe feeling a lot of discomfort later, after eating? Or nauseated? Could you remind me if in this thread you mentioned if he was on an anti-nausea med?

Also, if he is not getting the full dose each day of the pred the vet prescribed (and it's best if it is given at the same time each day), then his inflammation, etc., is not being addressed.

Poor thing! He really wants to eat! It may not be the foods at all, but how he feels after he eats.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He does want to eat. He meows at me and usually comes to the food dish, smells it and walks away. That's why he jumped on the food last night! What I don't get is why he would eat it so eagerly yesterday, and now walks away from it. He must be hungry poor thing. I wish there was any kind of dry food I could give him, but pease is what made him vomit so that is out of the question.
He is not on any medication besides pred, though the doctor said I could also give him Zyrtec. The funny thing is his wheezing now has stopped, but other allergy signs like paw chewing or wax build up in his ears are coming back. As far as being nauseous, he sometimes eats and then looks like something wants to come back up, so it could be that I guess.
My own anxiety around meal time may not help either. I wonder if it is worth contacting the vet to board him for a few days see if they can get him to eat a new food and/or monitor his allergies. Or maybe I should just give up trying new foods for now and give him what he wants to eat as long sa he takes the correct dose of medication.

I don't know...

It sounds like he wants to eat... but is he maybe feeling a lot of discomfort later, after eating? Or nauseated? Could you remind me if in this thread you mentioned if he was on an anti-nausea med?

Also, if he is not getting the full dose each day of the pred the vet prescribed (and it's best if it is given at the same time each day), then his inflammation, etc., is not being addressed.

Poor thing! He really wants to eat! It may not be the foods at all, but how he feels after he eats.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My poor boy had a rough day today. He only ate a little over an oz of food this morning. I came home and tried to give him some food after work. He ate about an ounce and a half and after some reflux he vomited it all. I decided to call the vet again and we agreed that I should bring him in so that they could monitor him for a couple of days until they can figure out some food that he will eat and also try to see what his reflux/nausea is about and how to fix it. He'll stay there until Thursday. The poor thing had lost alsmot 1lb since the last time I took him to the vet less than a week ago.
I hope this will helps

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. One of our cats has allergies. She can only tolerate rabbit and venison. Fortunately we have a wonderful weekly farmer's market where I can get fresh rabbit which I prepare for her and she eats it raw. We've also added to her rotation Radcat venison which has been great! She's now transitioned to 100% raw and her coat is silkier and softer than ever!

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We also have multiple air purifiers around the house. Our favorite is the Dyson purifier. It's the tall oblong tower with a cylinder at the bottom.