Multiple Allergy Symptoms. Help!

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor Huxley has been experiencing multiple allergy symptoms since I adopted him in January. He sneezes (sometimes all day long and has sneezing attacks where he gags), wheezes, is starting to get chin acne, is biting at his back paws. He used to vomit once or twice a week, but he has vomited 5 times over the last 24 hours.
I suspect both food (most likely peas and possible others) and inhalant allergies. I have tried to change his food, but unfortunately he refuses to eat anything new that I have tried to give him. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago, and the vet prescribed steroids, which stopped all the symptoms, but they are all back with a vengeance. I am at a loss as to how to figure out what is the problem, especially since he is refusing any kind of new food I try, and could still be showing reactions as he could be allergic to pollen or dust too. I have taken him back to the vet and she did skull and chest x-rays to eliminate possible polyps or lung issues. We are waiting for the radiologist to give us the results, but my vet said there is possible bronchitis though she couldn't say if it was allergy related.
If you have any advice on how you dealt with allergies I would greatly appreciate it!
I just want my poor baby to get better.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There appears to be an environmental allergy along with a possible food allergy.
What kind of laundry detergent do you use? Are you certain that no residues of dish soap are on the dishes you use?
Do you use candles, air fresheners, essential oils, diffusers or any other fragrances routinely around your house?

Have you checked with the shelter you adopted Huxley from to see if he ever had a sneezing problem there?

What kind of bowls do you use to feed Huxley? Plastic bowls have resulted in kitty acne for other cats.

I understand you have tried many types of food for Huxley. Could you post a partial list? What food is he eating now?

There are a lot of members with picky cats and they should be able to help with ideas about how to transition Huxley to different foods.
I understand I'm asking for a lot of information, and you have probably been through all these items already. This information will help us help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry in advance for the long post.

There appears to be an environmental allergy along with a possible food allergy.
What kind of laundry detergent do you use? Are you certain that no residues of dish soap are on the dishes you use?
Do you use candles, air fresheners, essential oils, diffusers or any other fragrances routinely around your house?

I bought a hypoallergenic laundry detergent in case that's what it was. I rinse the dishes quite thoroughly, but I guess it is a possibility. I have no candles or essential oils in the house. The only diffuser I use is Feliway. I also have an air purifier running 24/7 now (it does seem to have helped some).

Have you checked with the shelter you adopted Huxley from to see if he ever had a sneezing problem there?

When I adopted him, the shelter told me he had some food allergies as he had had some ear infections. He was on Hill's diet wet and dry venison, and I think they thought that was it as his ear infection had gone away. It was most likely due to the antibiotic he had been put on. When I took him home, he started sneezing and wheezing almost immediately. At some point I thought maybe it was dust in his litter so I changed that to Dr Elsey respiratory relief. It's definitely less dusty, but I don't know if it has made a difference.

What kind of bowls do you use to feed Huxley? Plastic bowls have resulted in kitty acne for other cats.

I use metal and porcelaine dishes only. They are washed after each feeding.

I understand you have tried many types of food for Huxley. Could you post a partial list? What food is he eating now?

He has been on many foods since I have had him.
First he was on Hill's diet prescription Venison, but I suspected a soy allergy. I tried Natural Balance LID Venison and peas, but that did not help ( Maybe it's the Brewer's yeast in it). The vet switched him to Royal Canin Duck. A few weeks after he started I had to take him to the vet for severe sneezing and wheezing. I took him to the vet. He got an Convenia shot, and the vet said maybe he is allergic to poultry so we switched him to RC rabbit. Things kind of progressively got worse from there.

I looked at the ingredients in all food and the common ones to all are fish oil and peas. Sine then I have tried to find wet food without pease...and it is a challenge. There are no dry without peas (or they have grains). Huxley also has stomatitis
(all teeth removed) and I have been told that grains are not good for inflammation so I want to avoid grain as much as possible.
Since then I have tried (without success as he won't eat it) Evangers rabbit and Quails, Pure vita Turkey dry food (I wanted to try other types of legumes and see how he did. The answer was not good!) Merrick pork wet food, and another I an't remember.

He has also had bad reactions on vacuum day and when I opened the windows for fresh air. The problem is when he reacts, I don't know if it's new food, old food or inhalants! I feel like whatever change I make, I am basically shooting in the dark hoping to nail the target.

There are a lot of members with picky cats and they should be able to help with ideas about how to transition Huxley to different foods.
I understand I'm asking for a lot of information, and you have probably been through all these items already. This information will help us help you.

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mommasboy mommasboy
Thanks for your extensive reply. I've asked to see if this can be cross- posted to the Nutrition forum to see if members there have any ideas.

Have you tried any lamb varieties? I don't have a specific recommendation. PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws , M missmimz , @orange&white
do you have any ideas?

I have not tried lamb or beef yet. I forgot to mention that I gave him some sardines (I needed to find a way for him to take the steroid), and also tried Primal dry freeze pork, but he never even came close to it. The others he at least ate a few bites before walking away from it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I use that for my cat as well. It is good you are not using corn, wheat or pine.

You said the vet had prescribed steroids -- which one, and in what "format" (pills, shot, ...?)

Also, you said he's always had an issue with vomiting, but has vomited 5 X's in last 24 hours? Did the vet prescribe any anti-nausea medication?

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I use that for my cat as well. It is good you are not using corn, wheat or pine.

You said the vet had prescribed steroids -- which one, and in what "format" (pills, shot, ...?)

Also, you said he's always had an issue with vomiting, but has vomited 5 X's in last 24 hours? Did the vet prescribe any anti-nausea medication?
He was on Prednisolone, but it has made him so nauseous that he now refuses to eat when I sneak it in his food. I have been giving him Zyrtec for the last couple of days. Vet says it could be that that makes him sick. The only thing he has been able to keep down is when I mix a 1/2 of his old food (RC rabbit) with 1/2 Evanger's Rabbit and Quail.
The vet has not given me anything for the sickness.

I just got the X-rays results. He has no signs of polyps and looks like no asthma either. His lungs are inflamed, but not to a worrying degree and that it's most likely allergy related. She says to try and give him the mix of food and the pred if he'll take it or to continue trying out new foods till I find one he will eat. I have asked to do the blood allergy testing. I need to at least be able to eliminate possible allergens.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You said he started sneezing, etc the moment he entered you house, so I suspect it's something in there. Perhaps your carpet or rugs? This is where you've got to do more detective work to try to figure out WHAT it is and whether or not you can get rid of it.

Now, I don't know if this will help with his food issues, but I would try something like rabbit for allergies, NOT beef for sure, and if you suspect peas are an issue, then it seems you may need to go with either freeze dried or frozen raw. Trying to transition cats to those CAN be difficult (I've done it), but this article may be helpful. Transitioning Your Cat from Kibble to a New Type of Food (Canned, Raw, or Homemade) Remember when changing foods for allergy reasons that it takes WEEKS to see a difference, not just a few days.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are best to try to follow your vet's advice (e.g. keep trying to give Huxley the vet's prescribed dose of Pred, and give him the mix of food which he seems to keep down). I think his GI system has gotten so inflamed with all the vomiting and various food changes, it's better to go back to "keep it as simple as you can" for the next little bit to try to get everything calmed down. You might ask your vet if taking an anti-nausea med short term will help him to eat and keep food down, until he can stabilize a bit more? At this point, that's the most important thing.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd personally put him on raw. Rad cat would be a great option. If that's not in the cards then something super high quality like Ziwipeak or Feline Naturals, that's the only real way to rule out a food allergy. The chin acne, get rid of anything plastic. Bowls, water bowls, etc. Only ceramic or stainless steel.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, this is actually "mommasboy" I have been unable to log in for the last 24 hours so I created this new profile.
Yesterday afternoon Huxley vomited the mix food of RC and Evanger so off to the stores I went again and looked at every single food label to try to find food without peas in them. I found 1 dry, Instinct Raw Boost chicken. So I decided to try and stick to chicken to see if I could tempt him with that. I also picked up a few chicken wet foods from different brands. I tried a couple without success, and then finally he devoured Nutro chicken loaf perfect portion!!! I was so excited and worried he was going to puke that too, I sat there waiting for 5 minutes and miracle! He kept it down!!!
I ran back to the store (again!) and bought a few more packs thinking that it doesn't matter for now if he has a reaction to chicken, as long as I can get him to eat, it's the most important thing for now. He ate 3 individual portions last night, and one before I left for work this morning. He is not so fond of the dry food, but has grazed on it. So far, no puking.
I am bringing him to the vet for allergy testing after work today so hopefully I'll get a better idea what to do next. If he is not allergic to chicken I'll keep him on Nutro. I am so relieved. It's far from sorted out, but at least my boy is eating!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd personally put him on raw. Rad cat would be a great option. If that's not in the cards then something super high quality like Ziwipeak or Feline Naturals, that's the only real way to rule out a food allergy. The chin acne, get rid of anything plastic. Bowls, water bowls, etc. Only ceramic or stainless steel.
Raw is definitely an option, and depending on the allergy test results, that's the route I will take. As far as bowls, he only eats or drinks out of stainless steel or ceramic so I assume it's due to food/inhalant allergies. The problem is which one?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, this is actually mommasboy. I had logging in issues...

I suspect it's something to do with dust or dustmites. The problem is I rent my place and cannot change the floor. What I am planning on doing however, besides using a really good HEPA vacuum that I had bought for my own cat allergy, is have my carpet professionally steam cleaned. I've been in this apt for 6 years so it's probably a good idea anyway.
Now that I found a food he will eat, I will keep him on that until I get the allergy results. I decided to do it even if it's not the most accurate. As you say, it takes weeks to see improvements, so I wouldn't even know if the changes I make are making any difference whatsoever as he could not be allergic to chicken for example, but still show allergy symptoms if he is allergic to dust if that makes sense. It should at least tell me what he is not allergic to and I can focus on these foods. With a bit of luck, he will not be allergic to chicken and I can continue with Nutro.

You said he started sneezing, etc the moment he entered you house, so I suspect it's something in there. Perhaps your carpet or rugs? This is where you've got to do more detective work to try to figure out WHAT it is and whether or not you can get rid of it.

Now, I don't know if this will help with his food issues, but I would try something like rabbit for allergies, NOT beef for sure, and if you suspect peas are an issue, then it seems you may need to go with either freeze dried or frozen raw. Trying to transition cats to those CAN be difficult (I've done it), but this article may be helpful. Transitioning Your Cat from Kibble to a New Type of Food (Canned, Raw, or Homemade) Remember when changing foods for allergy reasons that it takes WEEKS to see a difference, not just a few days.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw is definitely an option, and depending on the allergy test results, that's the route I will take. As far as bowls, he only eats or drinks out of stainless steel or ceramic so I assume it's due to food/inhalant allergies. The problem is which one?
Well food allergy wise, typically cats on raw don't react to protein allergies in the same way they do on commercial canned or kibble. So lets say you think your cat has an allergy to chicken, they likely wouldn't have any issue with raw chicken. Environmental allergies are harder to address. Keeping the widows/doors closed and using a HEPA filter should help.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cleaning your carpet is a great idea. If you have a Chem-Dry in your area call them, the products they use will not irritate allergies as many steam cleaners uses soaps etc. that do cause irritation to those with allergies. keep in mind that seafood is hyper allergenic so you might stop using foods containing seafood.
When I have had to change my cats diet (switching from kibble to canned and then to raw) I have purchased Feline Fortiflora ( vets have it but less expensive on Amazon)I sprinkle it on the food as you would salt or pepper and viola my cats would eat anything. I use it when hiding medicine in food too.It is technically a probiotic, as a probiotic it is not the best, it contains animal digest which is what is sprayed on kibble to make our cats little kibble addicts.
I once had a cat with allergies , my vet said I could use an allergy pill for him and it worked. I just cannot remember which allergy pill it was, perhaps Zyrtec, you could try googling that question , I used to get it over the counter at Kaiser Hospital, .05 , I am sorry I can't remember which one but I had found out about it in an article about Stomatitis, which as an allergic component. I will try to find it, if I do I will let you know

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am back again...it is Zyrtec. I found the generic at Kaiser pharmacy, the pill I got was so flat I could hide it in my cats food daily and he was never the wiser... I didn't even have to disguise it with Forti-Flora...here is an article...My poor Remy was so allergic, it helped as did cutting out all fish.....
Why I Love Zyrtec for Cats | petMD

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that, thank you. Huxley is my first cat so it's sort of like a baptism of fire! I think the stomatitis, his allergies and frequent vomiting are the reason his previous owners gave him up. Their loss. He is the best! That and the fact that the husband was mean to him (Huxley is petrified of men)
He seems to be doing much better on Nutro chicken soft loaf. He has not puked once, and I haven't seen him gnaw at his paws today. He does not like the dry food though so I might transition him to a wet food only diet, which I think will be better for him anyway. He does still wheeze and sneeze though, but I guess it won't all go away at once, even if soy/peas is the only thing he is allergic to. As for the rest, my windows have remained closed and the air purifier is running all day. I do hope he doesn't have inhalant allergies though. Fingers crossed! I'd love to enjoy the fresh air!

Well food allergy wise, typically cats on raw don't react to protein allergies in the same way they do on commercial canned or kibble. So lets say you think your cat has an allergy to chicken, they likely wouldn't have any issue with raw chicken. Environmental allergies are harder to address. Keeping the widows/doors closed and using a HEPA filter should help.

Last edited:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Chem-dry but I was going to call Stanley Steamer. I hope it's similar. If he is allergic to dust mites too I can get them to steam my couch, recliner and hopefully my mattress. This should get rid of a lot of nasty stuff. I did give Huxley Zyrtech a couple of times, it didn't seem to help much but made him really sleepy. I am interested about the stomatitis part as he has had all of his teeth extracted before I adopted him. He currently has a tiny bit of inflamation in his mouth though the vet says it is not painful to him at this level. I would definitely like to keep it that way for as long as possible...forever ideally of course.
Maybe I'll try it again.It was so hard to find a new food he would eat I didn't want to put him off it by hinding pills in it though he is usually a good boy and eat whatever pill I grind in his wet food. Not pred anymore though. It made him too nauseous so now he runs away if I even try to give him anything with it in it, even sardines! I don't want to give him fish until I get the allergy test back. As you say fish and seafood are a common allergen.

I am back again...it is Zyrtec. I found the generic at Kaiser pharmacy, the pill I got was so flat I could hide it in my cats food daily and he was never the wiser... I didn't even have to disguise it with Forti-Flora...here is an article...My poor Remy was so allergic, it helped as did cutting out all fish.....
Why I Love Zyrtec for Cats | petMD