Multi Cat House and fighting

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, it's been a LOOOONG time since I've been here and lots has changed. I wish I were just here to post pics and brag about my cats but I need help desperately! My grumpy old man has started chasing and attacking other cats. He usually picks on one specific male but if caught, he will redirect to other cats.

Just some quick background. Wickett (the bully) is about 14 now and has delt with numerous new additions. I had one cat when I adopted him and they weren't friends but they did ok. FF to 2015 and we rescued a new kitten in June then in November said goodbye to my eldest. 2 years later (2017) we rescued a litter of 4 in the spring and another 2 in the fall. Wickett has always been a bit grumpy but dealt with the new kittens fairly well. A few grumbles but mostly he was ok with them. Then this spring we rescued our last two barn cats (that's a whole other story) bringing our total cat count to 10. They are all indoor cats and we live in a modest 1,000SF single store house. Then the seeming last straw was at the end of this summer when I found a kitten dragging herself across the road taking my son to school. Our last rescue... for real this time. But that's one past Wickett's tolerance level apparently. He was starting to act a little hostile but he was also on steroids for inflammation at the time. I just chalked it up to roid rage but he's been off them for over a month now and is still very aggressive and bullyish toward one specific cat (Rufus). It also got notable worse when the newest addition was released from quarantine. He'll stalk Rufus and chase him and quite literally scare the poop out of him. We've taken to keeping Wickett in the bathroom when we go to bed but we still see evidence of fights if we go out and don't lock him up. I don't know what to do... or where to start beyond keeping them separated when we aren't home to supervise.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Rufus healthy? Sometimes cats get aggressive towards weaker, sickish cat, I would certainly check Rufus out. Also, sometimes the aggressor is not well, aren’t Wickett in pain or maybe he’s had some health issues you’re not aware? Cats have weird way to communicate something is wrong with them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have both been to the vet and gotten a clean bill of health. I would love for it to be something simple but I'm afraid it's not... I'm sure stress is a factor so I'm looking into feliaway or something similar to see if that may help. I've tried Bach's rescue remedy as well and that doesn't seem to change anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Wickett was given his clean bill of health, was a full senior work up, including full senior blood panel, done? Without the blood tests, a lot of things that are brewing in a cat that age can be masked until out of control. Don't know what kind of inflammation was going on when he was given steroids, but in most cases that stuff just doesn't go away in an older cat. I recognize that has a lot to do with why he was on them in the first place...

Rufus, too, needs a full blood panel done, if it wasn't. Anything about his past before you is impossible to know.

But, it is probably just too many cats in too small of a space, and - yes - Wickett's probably reached the 'last straw'. Is there a space to give Wickett to go to be alone when he wants, besides being confined to a room, such as a cat tree or some other area that is harder for the others, particularly Rufus, to get at? I'd give Wickett choices if at all possible, rather than making the choice for him by shutting him off in a room since that has not been his lifestyle in the past.

If anything Rufus should be confined (and, maybe trade off with some of the others to stay with him), not Wickett, when you are gone - especially if Wickett is pretty tolerant of the other cats. That's like telling the old guy that he no longer 'rates' and has been replaced in the level of importance by generally all the other cats, particularly Rufus. Talk about a reason to get grumpy.

Treating the two of them as if in an introduction setting is the best way to go to see if you can get things settled down. That means they aren't in the same area unless supervised. And, certainly, you can tell NO or hiss at Wickett to teach him it is not OK to harass Rufus. But, when he is being good, he needs to be rewarded for it and any time you can he needs to be given extra attention. Cats are not 'un-aware' that they are aging, and what that means when they are surrounded by young 'whipper-snappers'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner, Thank you so much for you reply. Though it breaks my heart a little I think I needed to hear a lot of that out loud.

There was no blood work, just a physical exam and Rufus hasn't seen the vet recently. The inflammation is actually an growth on his side that's been there for years. It was just aggravated over the summer from fleas. And actually, not a fully clean check up as everyone (probably) has ringworm thanks to the last addition. I actually do know most of our cats' full history as the majority of them came from my MIL's property. She was in poor health and passed in May of '18. In that time her cats did what intact cats do and we were left to deal with it.

Unfortunately, our limited space and Wickett's age (and declining coordination) makes giving him a safe space that's not closed off is pretty much impossible. We definitely try to redirect when he's prowling and I try to give him extra love and attention as much as I can.

Thank you again! I'm totally overwhelmed and feeling very guilty. I know that if this does have a resolution that it will take time. I'm just dreading the idea that there might not be peace between them again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wickett's age (and declining coordination)
I so feel for your dilemma! But, the declining coordination could suggest arthritis at Wickett's age. If he is experiencing aches and pains from arthritis, that can contribute to his 'grumpiness'. There are numerous OTC treatments for arthritis to help with joint pain and reduce deterioration from it. Glucosamine, chondroitin, and even green lipped mussels are all treatments given to both humans and cats to help with joint deterioration. X-rays will tell if arthritis has set in, and the vet can assess his current situation and advise accordlingly. It might not resolve the whole issue, but maybe could help?