Multi-Cat homes- How do you stay organized?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious how you keep track of things such as flea treatments, meds, litteboxes, etc?

I noticed quite a few like fleas on Ophelia & went
I am a week late on Revolutioning them. I've forgotten Damita's prednisone a couple of times, too. The "P" boys brought me fleas & worms, so I've got to worm the inside & outside kitties.

I am making up a calendar. There is no way I can remember all the kitty stuff, in addition to the doggie heartworm meds/flea meds/allergy baths!!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I can't keep it organized.
I use a small pocket calender even then if I'm not diligent in marking the calender I get messed up.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
organization?? What's that??

I've forgotten meds in the past, but just like with mine, I give them to them as soon as i remember, i give everyone their flea prevention at the same time (dog and cats) and litterboxes, well, they get done eventually

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually manage to keep the fleas at bay w/o the treatment. Until I see any, I don't treat them. I would probably forget too.

Due to various physical and mental issues (for my cats!
) I do have 7 pills to pass out on a daily basis, though. I do them all in the morning, except for one that has to wait till dinnertime. I just have the bottles lined up and go through them all like that.

Litterboxes....hmm I scoop before they eat twice a day, and extra times if needed. Scrubbing, I just eyeball it. If it's messy - I get motivated and scrub it.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:censor::censor::censor: is organization??????

...well, seriously. I have a calendar. I have ALL their meds in the same drawer in the room where I have food (all the animals, not just the kitties) and every night they get them. I have crates for dinnertime and different levels where they can be fed so that I know who is getting what and how much and I can come back in the room in 15 minutes or so and double check to make sure bowls are clean (like I really have to worry about that....) and see if Tom is still hungry and wants more before I let the girls out. Litter? Honestly, and I'll probably get flamed for this.. but it gets cleaned when I remember to clean it. I usually remember once to twice a day, but some days things are hectic and crazy so they go a day. Never more than that, though. With three and one who has had crystals I can't be iffy on my cleaning.

I haven't worried about flea preventatives till last week when I brought home our dog, Middie... but for now he's separated totally from them and I'll see how writing it down on the calendar works out.

BUT, the rewards for the multi cat household are sitting on the counter, in my lap, and another tucked against my bum. So it's all worth it, believe me.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't

No flea treatments, we are in a flea free area.
The dog gets his monthly treatments, but we take him hiking in the mountains.
No one is on meds.
One, super, super huge litter box.

Yearly vet stuff (2x yearly for the seniors) is handled by MIL who works for the vet.

dizzydesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't know if you are tech inclined. I run my business from home so I have to have good calendar skills. I just make recurring reminders to pop up and let me know it's time for this shot or another. Then the reminder pops up again when it's time for the next one automatically.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm curious how you keep track of things such as flea treatments, meds, litteboxes, etc?

I noticed quite a few like fleas on Ophelia & went
I am a week late on Revolutioning them. I've forgotten Damita's prednisone a couple of times, too. The "P" boys brought me fleas & worms, so I've got to worm the inside & outside kitties.

I am making up a calendar. There is no way I can remember all the kitty stuff, in addition to the doggie heartworm meds/flea meds/allergy baths!!
Make a list or lists, like you're thinking of doing; make an entry for each name, and check off under it each time you do a treatment. Or on the calendar, each day, write the names of everyone you have to treat, and then make a check next to each name once you've completed a treatment. I also write "MTWThFSaSu" (for the days, in English) on the prescription bottle or on the box or tube itself, and then check off under the day, each time I treat. Once you do this a few times, it won't be such a chore and you'll be used to doing it. Good luck!

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats do not go outside so fleas and worms are not an issue. Most their other care is daily routine (like the litter boxes or grooming) and they are free fed…so I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really have much I can mess up.

I do use a calendar to keep track of vet appointments, when the dogs get their flea and heartworm preventatives, or anything of significance related to an animalâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s condition. My male bunny is the only animal I have on regular meds now and have to keep track of, but I typically donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to write those down unless there is a bigger lapse or something weird.

Only thing I am really bad at is remembering to buy or order the petsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] food in advance. I have to drive far to get some of the food, go on base for others or wait for it to be shipped...so that can be quite an issue at times.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we're not fostering, we just do flea treatments every couple of months when we remember.

Does Revolution come with reminder stickers? I know the Advantage does - when I had to do it regularly for Stumpy when she was having some flea problems, I just put the Advantage sticker on the calendar when they were next due.

The only meds I need to worry about are Smudge's eye drops, and we do that when DH gets home.

And litter trays, I just do when they look like they need it.

I have enough troubles remembering my own meds, I'd do REALLY bad if the cats needed anything more regularly!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just do all the flea meds on the first of the month. I dont have a hard time remembering because thats the day I have to pay allmy bills too

snickers80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
spring time is medicine/vet time....so like April? We are behind on Sushi's shots though... only by a week but still.

Litterboxes have to be scooped everyday, every other day at the most....or else Snickers gets angry and starts peeing on my stuff.

Food and litter is bought in the beginning of the month with the rest of the groceries, and more food/litter is bought in the middle of the month if needed.

What I really need to do is start vaccuuming more....

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we dont.

dont worry about fleas, dont have any, and no one is outside cept the dog, and he gets a bath after long walks in the woods.

no one is on meds, and i have 4 HUGE litterboxes that get scooped evey 48 hours.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With 15 critters here, yes, I have a system.

Flea treatments and heartworm pills are the first of every month.

Cats/dogs that are on medicine have their schedule written on the calendar that hangs in my kitchen.

I keep a list of all of my animals and their latest vaccinations in a spreadsheet that is printed and hung on the fridge. At the beginning of the month when I do the flea/heartworm, I check the list and make appointments for that month. Once a year I update the spreadsheet and print a new copy (usually in January after the 9 due in December are done for the year).

Litter? I scoop every day and clean the boxes on the weekends.

Food and water dishes: their canned food plates are washed daily. Their dry food bowls are washed when I do cleaning on the weekends. The water bowls are drained and hand washed daily. The pet fountains usually get taken apart and cleaned every 2 weeks. I check the filters at that time and replace them when necessary.

Dog baths? When the boys start to get stinky. We actually have very clean dogs and they don't get very many baths.

Grooming: happens in the evening when we sit and watch TV. Anyone who hops into our laps at any given time are automatically groomed if they need it. We keep all the brushes/combs/gloves in a basket on the coffee table.