Multi-cat feeding problems

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're up to 5 cats now and we've run into a bit of a problem.  2 of our cats are grazers - they like to nibble on a little bit here and there and don't go for the big meals.  Especially Mama who vomits everything if he eats too much at once.  2 don't care either way and are quite healthy.  The last one, Scotty, has an over eating problem and is becoming quite overweight. 

Given that we need to have food down at all times for Mama, how do we keep Scotty from overeating?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A microchip feeder.
I've used the GateFeeder and currently have a SureFlap feeder out for the girls who get to free feed.
The boys are on a schedule with restricted amounts of food.

My alpha cat is a jackhole though. He'll scoot in real close to the cat that's eating and then use his big fat head to hold the flap open as it's trying to close, and he'll start eating. But he doesn't get to it 100% of the time so it's still quite effective. 

The feeders work with either a chip in a tag you put on their collar, or you can try to program it to the internal microchip between your pet's shoulders if they received one.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to transition the cats to feeding times. Even your nibblers will learn what feeding time is. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You need to transition the cats to feeding times. Even your nibblers will learn what feeding time is. 
We've previously tried that but it was a guaranteed vomit fest from Mama.  The response is almost instant (within 30-60 seconds of leaving the food bowl).  He just can't have more than a small amount of food at once - even wet food, if he eats it too much, will comes back up.  We had him in to see if there was something medically wrong with him & had his teeth cleaned.  Our only theory at this point is that his nerve disorder (FHS) causes his esophageal reflex to be overly sensitive to pressure.  Just like if we touch parts of his back, it'll send him into a spasm fit, we figure the same thing is happening internally. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We've previously tried that but it was a guaranteed vomit fest from Mama.  The response is almost instant (within 30-60 seconds of leaving the food bowl).  He just can't have more than a small amount of food at once - even wet food, if he eats it too much, will comes back up.  We had him in to see if there was something medically wrong with him & had his teeth cleaned.  Our only theory at this point is that his nerve disorder (FHS) causes his esophageal reflex to be overly sensitive to pressure.  Just like if we touch parts of his back, it'll send him into a spasm fit, we figure the same thing is happening internally. 
We have a cat who has a tendency to eat too much, too fast, as well: the solution has been to feed five small meals a day, most of them keeping that cat separated from sister, who eats very slowly. That arrangement is far less cumbersome than it sounds, particularly since the slow eater is less nervous about her eating, knowing that her sister isn't going to stand behind her like a vulture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

A microchip feeder.
I've used the GateFeeder and currently have a SureFlap feeder out for the girls who get to free feed.
The boys are on a schedule with restricted amounts of food.

My alpha cat is a jackhole though. He'll scoot in real close to the cat that's eating and then use his big fat head to hold the flap open as it's trying to close, and he'll start eating. But he doesn't get to it 100% of the time so it's still quite effective. 

The feeders work with either a chip in a tag you put on their collar, or you can try to program it to the internal microchip between your pet's shoulders if they received one.
I'm thinking this might be the way to go... if it wasn't so expensive!?!  $166/unit is quite a hefty price tag - especially compared to our dollar store bowls lol

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm thinking this might be the way to go... if it wasn't so expensive!?!  $166/unit is quite a hefty price tag - especially compared to our dollar store bowls lol
Cheaper on Amazon. the special they are running is 25% off two units on their website but when I bought one I had a 25% off ONE feeder through Catster 2 years ago.
The feeders we use for the boys are worse. It was $500 for 2. We feed them five times a day and needed the freedom to leave the house again.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Being Canadian "tax" 
I had no idea they varied so much just across the border. The company isn't even in the states. I'm pretty sure they are UK based. I know when I had the GateFeeder they billed me out of Singapore. That was fun explaining to my credit card company. Yes, Capital One, it was me.