Mucus discharge from cat's eyes

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello my pet is 1 year old cat,and it's cold here and for the past few days i can see yellowish discharge coming from from the both of his eyes,i am planning to take him to vet tomorrow but does anyone have any idea what could be the reason,he isn't coughing or anything his temperature was a bit above 102 °f last night

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be a flare up from some viral condition your cat has, but it could be many other things as well. The fact that the discharge is yellowish would suggest an infection, so it is good that you are taking him to the vet. Chances are they will end up giving him an antibiotic, but you might also want to ask about the vet swabbing the discharge and having it analyzed in case that would give more information on how to better treat it. Keep wiping away the discharge with a sterile damp, warm cloth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It could be a flare up from some viral condition your cat has, but it could be many other things as well. The fact that the discharge is yellowish would suggest an infection, so it is good that you are taking him to the vet. Chances are they will end up giving him an antibiotic, but you might also want to ask about the vet swabbing the discharge and having it analyzed in case that would give more information on how to better treat it. Keep wiping away the discharge with a sterile damp, warm cloth.
Could it be due to cold?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is my understanding that cat colds are generally viral in nature. But yellowish or greenish discharge typically means there is bacteria involved. Most times bacteria need to be treated with antibiotics. You might call your vet to see if they think you can 'wait it out' and see if it goes away on its own. Here are some articles about 'cat colds' - they each pretty much say the same thing.
Cat Colds: Everything You Need to Know | PetMD
Cat Cold: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment - Cats.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your responses,i took him to the vet and they said to give him the deworming tablet and see if it will resolve the issue.