Mucous And Diarrhoea

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody, I haven't been on the site for a while, but unfortunately now I have a problem and am hoping for some advice!

This afternoon, Hester had a very loose "pudding-like" stool that was smelly. Normally, her poo doesn't smell much. This wasn't stink-up-the-house smelly, just noticeable. Now about an hour ago, she got into the litter box and my husband heard a sort of explosive noise, and she pooed quite a lot of mucous along with a bit of loose stool onto the mat in front of the box. She also dripped a few drops of loose stool on the floor as she was walking along. She has been acting normally all day and eating normally--she doesn't seem lethargic or ill at all. She's hiding now, but I think that's because we chased her down then wiped her bottom.

She's normally an indoor cat, but she really wants to go outside, so sometimes I take her out on a lead. This I did yesterday afternoon, and I noticed that she stepped into a pool of water that had been sitting in a flowerpot. She didn't lick her paw straight away, but I imagine she did so once we got back inside. So I was wondering if maybe she picked up some sort of parasite--is there anything particular that's harmful to cats that could be found in stagnant water? She also likes to chew on grass when she goes outside.

Our vet opens at 8 tomorrow morning for non-emergency walk-ins, so we could take her in then, but do you think this is something serious or should we wait to see if it passes? There's no blood in her stool and as I said she looks fine and is acting normally.

Thanks for any advice!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her in in the morning. Hopefully it is nothing, but with such a change in behavior i would want to get her checked out. Smelly Diarrhea can be many different things, i dont think a parasite from the water would have affected her that quick. Now if there was something toxic in the water, maybe so. Safe thing to do is go to the vet. Keep us updated! Best of luck that it is nothing to worry about.