Much Younger New Addition Vs Senior Resident Cat..

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone this is my first post. We recently adopted a 4 year old male cat. The previous owner no longer wanted a rambunctious young cat because she had a new baby at home ( I loathe when people do this so I can only imagine how this fur baby was treated) he’s a sweet boy but bites and claws when over stimulated by petting and he also thinks every hand is a toy. These behaviors I can work on with play therapy but my major concern is my sweet old man who is 18 and doesn’t want to play and new kitty stalks him and Bomps his head and is super sensitive. Because our newest addition wasn’t planned the introduction was rushed.. it’s certainly wasn’t an ideal situation. Because of limited space and rooms with doors it’s not really possible to separate them, feed on the other side of the door etc as recommended. I would use the bathroom as a room we can shut the door in but my older baby loves the bathroom and it’s kinda his space so I don’t want to take that away from him and I also don’t want to shut him in there because I fear he will be confused and think he did something bad... he’s a very smart boy and very sensitive. Any suggestions on how to handle much younger new cat with an older resident cat? I want to do what’s best for both cats and I could just say it’s not working with the new guy but I hate to see him go back to a bad situation but I also do not want to make my original baby sad in his golden years. My sweet old man is my child so he’s the priority but I love all cats and would love to make a home for the newbie. I’m so torn so any advice is welcome. Thank you

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this similar situation with my Barley (the much older resident cat) and the newbie, a 3month old female kitten (Her name is Graham) who has unlimited energy. Since she cannot pester my other cat Bourbon due to her grumpiness, she has chosen Barley to play with even if Barley does not want to. Wherever Barley goes, she hounds him, pounces on him, plays with his tail etc.

We live in a small studio apartment so separating them at different rooms is not also possible. My Barley only wants to lay down and be left alone most of the time (although I also see them play together at times)..

Yesterday we bought an igloo type bed for Barley which is working quite right. It is not big enough for another cat to squeeze into, but also not too small for Barley to be uncomfortable in it. Although Graham can still pester him, Barley can just turn his back so his butt would be facing the entrance of the cave-like bed.

Graceyschultz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have old male cat he 15 year old?
My oldest cat was found in the trash can why he was only 3 week?
I found three kittens in a box my the trash can
My old cat don't real play with the kittens

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The older cat is being completely normal. Youngsters are a pain, they are too quick, too eager, too energetic. Slapping, growling, hissing and hiding are all normal behaviors for the older cat. They are meant to establish the older cat's authority in the hierarchy of the household. The younger cat is testing limits, seeing how much he can get, and where he stands. Unless there are out and out fights with blood and bites, I wouldn't worry too much. Your older boy is being stimulated, and is most likely being emtertained. Make sure he has a place he can defend somewhere, and feel safe. On top a table, a bed in the bathroom if he prefers, my Chrissy spent months on top the fridge. This new addition isn't a bad thing. Getting used to him, and even learning to accept him as family, takes getting used to new routines, and establishing a new life order. These things just take time, and lots of it, months. Keep the new one busy with toys and distract him if he stalks the older one with a kickeroo thrown towards him, I keep one ready at all times in a bag of catnip. (I ordered several on Amazon, they are absolutely loved!)
Like with small children, just keep saying to yourself, "This isn't forever, this too will pass!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone this is my first post. We recently adopted a 4 year old male cat. The previous owner no longer wanted a rambunctious young cat because she had a new baby at home ( I loathe when people do this so I can only imagine how this fur baby was treated) he’s a sweet boy but bites and claws when over stimulated by petting and he also thinks every hand is a toy. These behaviors I can work on with play therapy but my major concern is my sweet old man who is 18 and doesn’t want to play and new kitty stalks him and Bomps his head and is super sensitive. Because our newest addition wasn’t planned the introduction was rushed.. it’s certainly wasn’t an ideal situation. Because of limited space and rooms with doors it’s not really possible to separate them, feed on the other side of the door etc as recommended. I would use the bathroom as a room we can shut the door in but my older baby loves the bathroom and it’s kinda his space so I don’t want to take that away from him and I also don’t want to shut him in there because I fear he will be confused and think he did something bad... he’s a very smart boy and very sensitive. Any suggestions on how to handle much younger new cat with an older resident cat? I want to do what’s best for both cats and I could just say it’s not working with the new guy but I hate to see him go back to a bad situation but I also do not want to make my original baby sad in his golden years. My sweet old man is my child so he’s the priority but I love all cats and would love to make a home for the newbie. I’m so torn so any advice is welcome. Thank you
T

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this similar situation with my Barley (the much older resident cat) and the newbie, a 3month old female kitten (Her name is Graham) who has unlimited energy. Since she cannot pester my other cat Bourbon due to her grumpiness, she has chosen Barley to play with even if Barley does not want to. Wherever Barley goes, she hounds him, pounces on him, plays with his tail etc.

We live in a small studio apartment so separating them at different rooms is not also possible. My Barley only wants to lay down and be left alone most of the time (although I also see them play together at times)..

Yesterday we bought an igloo type bed for Barley which is working quite right. It is not big enough for another cat to squeeze into, but also not too small for Barley to be uncomfortable in it. Although Graham can still pester him, Barley can just turn his back so his butt would be facing the entrance of the cave-like bed.
Thank you for your reply! The cat igloo idea could work though Zander isn’t really a cat bed kitty but it’s worth a try. He is hiding more now which I don’t like to see because it his home too. I’m hoping that with more play time new guy ( we can’t decide on a name yet) will be Tuckered out. I adore our newer man so much but I can’t lie my Zander will always be my baby. Thankfully my bf and sister also live with me so they can pay more attention to your one and I can spend lots of time with Zander till things settle down.

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The older cat is being completely normal. Youngsters are a pain, they are too quick, too eager, too energetic. Slapping, growling, hissing and hiding are all normal behaviors for the older cat. They are meant to establish the older cat's authority in the hierarchy of the household. The younger cat is testing limits, seeing how much he can get, and where he stands. Unless there are out and out fights with blood and bites, I wouldn't worry too much. Your older boy is being stimulated, and is most likely being emtertained. Make sure he has a place he can defend somewhere, and feel safe. On top a table, a bed in the bathroom if he prefers, my Chrissy spent months on top the fridge. This new addition isn't a bad thing. Getting used to him, and even learning to accept him as family, takes getting used to new routines, and establishing a new life order. These things just take time, and lots of it, months. Keep the new one busy with toys and distract him if he stalks the older one with a kickeroo thrown towards him, I keep one ready at all times in a bag of catnip. (I ordered several on Amazon, they are absolutely loved!)
Like with small children, just keep saying to yourself, "This isn't forever, this too will pass!"
Great advice! Thank you for reassuring me that this is just how it is for now. He like a toddler lol. There’s no all out fights just the usual hissing and a little batting. Zander is having none of it I swear he looked at me like “ dude seriously another cat, come on!” I don’t know much about the previous owner but our new guy is awfully skiddish so I wonder if he was swatted at when he play bit? That’s the first behavior we need to work on because of meds I take I can’t get a cat nite infection so I’m rewatching episodes of my cat from hell for tips. Thank you so much

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grrrrrrrr! I agree with you, people who get rid of animals once human babies come are evil. Bless you for taking this kitty in. I have no advice for you, just wanted to thank you for caring.
Awww thank you! I just don’t get how one can just dismiss a member of the family after 4 years. He’s awfully skid-dish so I wonder if he was swatted at for play biting. In any event he will be snuggled and loved with me! Now we just need to settle on a name... now that we know his personality his original name does NOT fit. And he doesn’t seem to know it anyway. And I do believe pets know their names if used all the time. Zander ( my old man) def knows his name.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We once had a new puppy whose name was changed constantly depending on who greeted the puppy. You see, we could not agree which name was best. No worries!! Name changes will eventually be settled. Right now it is just important to give attention, regardless of name. Believe me, it'll eventually come to you the perfect name. And the cat will learn that perfect name with time. Happy name hunting!!!

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We once had a new puppy whose name was changed constantly depending on who greeted the puppy. You see, we could not agree which name was best. No worries!! Name changes will eventually be settled. Right now it is just important to give attention, regardless of name. Believe me, it'll eventually come to you the perfect name. And the cat will learn that perfect name with time. Happy name hunting!!!
His name is Air martial Carl.. although now he’s inmate Carl after a court martial for biting lol ( though not literally locked up). I don’t know why but inmate just suits him Have you seen llama’s with hats? If not google it and be ready to laugh. One of the llamas “Carl” kills people and eats hands.. hence this crazy dude’s name! Eater of hands ❤❤. We are planning to re-do the intro ( as suggested can be done on this site) just waiting for the baby gates to arrive so we can do it right!