Much needed advice on underweight kittens

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, first time poster and second time fostering kittens. I have a brother and sister right now, 6 weeks old. For the first few days they were fine but started getting diarrhea and losing weight.
We went to get them checked up at Humane Society (where I’m fostering from) and though their stool sample didn’t show any parasites they got started on a 5 day deworming med. It’s been around a week since then but they’re still having the same problems. Every time the boy has more than half a spoonful of wet food, it goes straight through him (a little gross but you can see the food chunks in his poo).
He’s now on a kibble/water gruel mix with just a bit of wet food so he takes interest and he’s slowly gaining weight but still has bad poops.
The girl is who I’m really worried about. 100 grams lighter than him, 566 to 670. She isn’t gaining the weight that she lost when she first came here. We switched the food a bit because we suspected it could be a food sensitivity (maybe to chicken) but she still has diarrhea (though darker) so we’ve gone back to their original food, watered kibble and little wet food.
I really need advice on how to help them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, thanks for the reply. Do you mea in replacement to their current food or in addition to? The Humane Society already said they were weaned and able to eat solid foods.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, what brand of kibble and wet food are you using? Not to insult you, I promise, but it's kitten food, and not adult or even All Life Stages food?

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Kibble is Purina kitten chow. Wet food has been changed since they first got here, all chicken based though, also specifically branded for kittens. Currently on Max Cat chicken and liver formula. We went to a specialty pet food store two days ago and got new wet food and kibble. Fed a few wet foods but it seemed to make it worse so stopped but I’m blending in the new kibble we got in both of their foods because it has quail instead of chicken in it. N&D Pumpkin. This one is advertised as Adult though, should I just stick with the kitten chow?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would stick with the kitten chow, and avoid pumpkin.

If you can't find goat milk (whole foods and similar grocery stores usually have it), try kitten milk replacer or unflavored pedialyte.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if you can obtain Royal Canin Babycat canned, but as quoted below from Kitten Lady's website, the little girl in particular may need to have things taken back a step, and frankly for him I'd do a KMR/kibble mush instead of using watery gruel.

"Kittens' bodies are very sensitive to premature weaning, so be careful about starting them too young. A kitten 0-5 weeks old should be nursing or bottle feeding. Around 5 weeks of age, the kitten's premolars will begin to emerge, indicating that she is likely ready to start trying out some meaty foods. However, some kittens may need a bit more time on the bottle due to health issues, or differences in weight or size. Use your best judgement and follow the kitten's lead to determine the appropriate age to wean. If you see any changes in the kitten's health or energy during this process, immediately step back to bottle feeding."

Weaning — Kitten Lady

Diarrhea — Kitten Lady

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice. I’m picking up PetAg kitten formula tomorrow and I’ll see if I can find that wet food too.
This has just been such a worrying experience for me because my first two fosters went through a similar experience and the Humane Society vaguely brushed their symptoms off. They died from congenital conditions and we didn’t get much more info than that. T
They’re both still running around and playing with each other but it really started getting to me how much smaller the girl is. I hope everything works out tomorrow and again, thank you so much for replying.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen bottled goat 's milk at Pet Smart, pre-covid9. Currently, I don't know.

Please post updates!
Hi, I’m going to pick up PetAg kitten milk replacer formula tomorrow from my local pet food store. I will definitely update to see how it goes!

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, is it fine to give it to them in a bowl by itself or do I need a syringe? And don’t worry, I’ve placed orders to pick up the foods first thing tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the condition they're in, I would try and feed them more frequently - they are at risk of dehydration. Make the first recipe and give them some of that tonight, several times if possible.

Try in a bowl with low sides, please read the websites I've posted for you.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, they liked it quite a bit. I let them have a good bit of it in their usual shallow water bowl then just mixed a bit in with their water for overnight.