Ms. Pepe

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Most of you know that Pepe turned 22 years old in February. She is in renal failure and we're feeding her Royal Canin canned food for kidney problems. She's been eating that now a good 18 months or so (from Chewy).

Pepe has always had a very healthy appetite. She's our "screamer"; she sleeps, wakes up, hollers for food, drinks water, gives herself a bit of a bath, then goes back to sleep. A few weeks ago, she was still playing with toys, chasing after the laser light. So while she is an old lady, she still has some spunk in her.

Well, she stopped eating much last night. Usually she's right at the door when Rick walks in after work and screams bloody murder for her supper. Last night, Rick had to wake her up; he took The Beast out to pee, came back in the house, started getting their supper ready and she just slept on. He awakened her, she came out, ate a little bit, drank water, and just generally seemed a little "out of it".

This morning, Pepe started bellowing for breakfast. When I put her plate down, she ate not even half of her food, turned around and walked away. Drank quite a bit of water, came back to her food, and walked away again. I tried to entice her with some of Royal Canin dry food that we have for her for renal failure, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She walked away, jumped up on the couch, sat there, looking at nothing, and then finally curled up and went to sleep.

I don't know if she's just tired of the Royal Canin food or if she's just tired.....period. I'm tempted to start feeding her Friskies Buffet pate again (the other cats eat that) and see if she'll eat it. OTOH, since she's been on the RC food for so long, I don't want to upset her tummy either. But if she can eat and if her tummy can tolerate it, I'm tempted to say, "The heck with it all" and give her what she wants. The girl is 22 years old; shouldn't she be allowed to eat what she wants (if that is the problem)?

She's a bit on the cantankerous side (I guess she's allowed). We brush her regularly and she still loves to be brushed. But her fur now mats easily because it's hard for her to bathe herself.

I should mention that our cats only drink bottled spring water. No well water, no city water. I don't know if that matters, but one of our cats (Hydrox) got crystals many years ago and we switched over to bottled spring water at that time. They've never had anything but that.

I'm calling the vet this morning for an appt....she's due anyway.

Thanks.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tempted to start feeding her Friskies Buffet pate again (the other cats eat that) and see if she'll eat it. OTOH, since she's been on the RC food for so long, I don't want to upset her tummy either. But if she can eat and if her tummy can tolerate it, I'm tempted to say, "The heck with it all" and give her what she wants. The girl is 22 years old; shouldn't she be allowed to eat what she wants (if that is the problem)?
Winchester Winchester - I'm inclined to agree with you here. When my late Father's Siamese, Victoria, came into my care, she was on her own veterinary diet, but would try to sample the other cats' food, and clearly preferred it. I said to myself, "she's almost 25 years old; let her have what she likes." My Vet wagged his finger and declared it would be the death of her. Five years later his pronouncement came true.

Dad's Doctor told him the same thing when he had an heart incident at age 47. "No more eggs," was the decree. He flatly refused, and continued his six-eggs-a-day breakfast, because being a child of the Depression, eggs were simply magical for him. They killed him, of course - at age 85.

Give the beautiful Ms. Pepe a gently hug for me, Pam.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all cats have an off day or so. Just dont feel quite right and not eat much. I am hopeful that that is her issue, and by tomorrow she will be eating like normal, and feeling better. Vet visit is a good thing.

I would check with the vet before changing her food. I am inclined to agree that at her age give her what she likes. But i know some foods, maybe high phosphorous foods, can make them feel bad? Im no expert on this by any means, but i wouldn't want to feed her something that makes her feel bad? I know some people do feed other foods, and use a phosphorous binder that you can get from your vet?

keeping you guys in my thoughts! Do keep us updated on her.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Ms. Pepe isn't feeling well. Kidney failure is insidious. You've done well to keep her healthy.

Unfortunately, one of the signs the kidneys have failed almost completely is anemia, which manifests itself as fatigue. Your vet may give her a regimen of B12 shots to give her a bit of energy.

If she's into stage 4 renal failure and anemic, let her have what ever she wants. At this point it won't make her kidneys worse and it may make her feel better.

Both of you are in my thoughts, Pam.

With love and caring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys. When I got home last night, she was sleeping in her basket. I took The Beast out to pee, came back in and got their dinner ready. And she slept. I finally went in and woke her up. She came out, sniffed at the food and walked away. At that point, I said, "The heck with it!" dumped her food in the trash and put a bit of Friskies pate on a plate and took it into the bay window in the living room. She took a sniff and ate pretty much everything!

Came out to the kitchen, got a good drink of water and started yelling at me for more. I gave her some kibble and she ate that. Then she went back to her basket and that was all we heard out of her until around 8:00 last night, when she tottered up to Rick and started yelling at him. She got more kibble and then sacked out again.

This morning, she was back to yelling, starting around 3:45, an hour before we get out of bed. I gave her the prescription food (I have to at least try it) and she ate it. She also ate some kibble and when I gave the girls their before-I-go-to-work snack, she came out for some, too.

But she's still not completely "with it". I understand that she has good days and bad days. This is different. It's like the lights are on, but nobody's home, if that makes any sense. She sits on the couch, staring at nothing....unless she sees something I don't. Rick asked me to hold off on the vet until Monday (I did call, though, and have an appt for two weeks from now as it's the earliest we can get in; since she started eating again, I don't think it's an emergency. The vet also agreed with me that it's more important that she eat something, than not eat anything. Man, she is skinny. Pepe was never fat, but she was always a plump little thing. Her hind end is just bone now.); he keeps hoping that she'll pass in her sleep; unfortunately, it's never that easy. And my main concern is that I don't want her to suffer. I don't think she is, though. I really don't. She reminds me of an old lady who's with us physically, but mentally could be a million miles away, maybe thinking of better days. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but well, there you go.

We have six of cans of the prescription food left and I don't think I'm going to place another order. At this point, I'm willing to let her eat what she wants. I know that if I was 104 years old (which is what Pepe is in human years), I would want to eat whatever I wanted and darn the aftermath.

Thanks so much!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thinking about you guys. Yes she may just have an off day and you can also mix half and half the junk food and prescription food. Kibble at this stage won't hurt her either. you can try a bit of canned pumpkin to keep her bowels moving. Sometimes they get more prone to constipation at elderly ages and need help. That could be why she wasn't interested in food. Ask the vet about miralax and pumpkin-if she's constipated.

Also grab some meat baby food gerber-it is a life saver in my eyes. My elderly Floey lived on that stuff for weeks before it was time..her eyes lit up when she heard the pop of the bottle top....she knew it was her food time..she was almost 18....love the older kitties. My pumps is 15 next month...still pluggin along but constipation seems to plague her more now than her younger years. and arthritis...we are debating seeing a new vet to try something else...they want to try metacam for pain-says it's better than pred...so I need to do some research...I want her comfortable but don't want to put her through needless stress...

They keep us on our toes don't they?

Keeping you guys in my thoughts this weekend!!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes: Good vibes to you and to Ms Pepe :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Hopefully it was just a bad day or two. 22 is a wonderful old age...I agree with giving her whatever she wants.