Mri Vs Ct Scan

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my moggy went completely blind seemingly overnight two days ago. He was supposed to be scheduled for an MRI tomorrow on Monday but we pushed it back because we're afraid of him undergoing anaesthesia. I asked the vet if we could do a CT scan instead, as it's much faster and may not require anaesthesia. If it does require anaesthesia, I could order a device from the US that immobilises the cat for the procedure. Since we're so scared of anaesthesia, I think the CT scan would be an OK compromise. The vet is not in today, so the receptionist said she'd pass on a note to him tomorrow.
But I read that CT scans won't diagnose optic neuritis.
However, I'm mostly concerned about just ruling out the really bad stuff.
Do you think CT scans are appropriate for brain scans?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion your questions require some serious medical knowledge to answer. Which someone who is not a vet can't have. I completely understand your anxiety about anesthesia, I have it too, but I think you need to discuss this with the vet and ask for the risks of NOT getting the test done soon. Call another vet for a second opinion if you like.

When vets ask for a test they are thinking of the diseases they need to rule out. This is a part of diagnosis. And a CT scan might not be enough to rule out everything.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi wombat.

You started a new thread yesterday solely asking whether/not anesthesia is safe for cats with CKD (stage 1, I believe). I responded to you there.

Unfortunately, someone took exception to some semantics in my reply to you....and deleted the entire thread.

"Tanya's" eminently reputable CKD website has a section devoted to anesthesia, so I'll offer it again: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Anaesthesia

Now, if it were I facing this, I would be asking that a Veterinary Ophthalmologist be involved in the diagnosis and treatment.......involved directly or via consultation if there weren't one near me.

But I read that CT scans won't diagnose optic neuritis......Do you think CT scans are appropriate for brain scans?
This reputable source article on optic neuritis in cats suggests that either type of scan may be helpful in its diagnosis: Optic Neuritis in Cats - PetPlace. Here's another.

And, again, if it were I, I wouldn't have any great concern over anesthesia (remember, it's only sedation, not full anesthesia !) with very early stage kidney disease....now, if it were a heart condition, that's on a whole other level.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm unsure where the suggestion of optic neuritis came from.........

If the Vet suggested it.........was there some evidence for it? Or, was it 'simply' put forward as a possibility?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's optical neuritis per se, that's just what I picked up from research, but the vet said he's seen a lot of cases of inflammation that causes blindness.
I'm unsure where the suggestion of optic neuritis came from.........

If the Vet suggested it.........was there some evidence for it? Or, was it 'simply' put forward as a possibility?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about MRI/CT scan imaging differences concerning the brain of a cat, in humans they are both valid to diagnose most of cerebral diseases. MRI is a bit more accurate, though. It's often a second line exam.
But I do believe that anesthesia would be necessary for a CT scan as well. It's faster, true, but not fast enough, even with some restriction device. If the cat moves too much, the images would be blurry. Also remember that CT scan exploits ionizing radiations, so repeating a failed CT scan wouldn't be a walk in the park.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about MRI/CT scan imaging differences concerning the brain of a cat, in humans they are both valid to diagnose most of cerebral diseases. MRI is a bit more accurate, though. It's often a second line exam.
But I do believe that anesthesia would be necessary for a CT scan as well. It's faster, true, but not fast enough, even with some restriction device. If the cat moves too much, the images would be blurry. Also remember that CT scan exploits ionizing radiations, so repeating a failed CT scan wouldn't be a walk in the park.
Thanks! According to research, the restriction device is able to immobilise veterinary patients for CT scans without anaesthesia. I hope the vet will give me the go-ahead.