Mr. Mojo new to wet food

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,
I am a relatively "new" cat owner having not had a cat in over 20 yrs but recently adopted "Mr. Mojo" from our local shelter. He is only 6 months old and was on Hill's dry food from the shelter but today I gave him a small container of the Whiskas wet salmon pate (it also contained chicken). I am aware it's not the "best" food out there but he ate it right up however later on he had a rather loose smelly bowel movement. Now I am have never been a fan of dry kibble cat food and would like to get him on wet food in the long run. Trying the budget Whiskas wet food was just to see how he would enjoy wet food however myself and Mojo were not fans of the "end result". My question: Is there a decent wet food on the market that won't give him diarrhea? While on the Hill's dry food his stool was solid and not as stinky (of course). Is it possible the chicken in the Whiskas gave him the diarrhea? Thanks for any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
There's a transition that may need to happen so that his tummy adjusts;

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you! This is pretty much the info I need and kind of how I want to get him used to the wet food. I wasn't sure if his tummy was just adjusting to the wet food or he was having another issue. I gave him some kibble early in the morning which he ate. Then for meal #2 I added some of the wet food with his kibble but he ate all of the wet food and no kibble...haha! For meal #3 I tried about 1.5oz's of the wet food and after that he had the messy poop. Just now for his late night snack I offered him a little kibble and he ate it. I will try a little more again in his dry food in the morning.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)
Well this morning for breakfast he had just some dry kibble. For his lunch I added less than 1/2 a table spoon of Fancy Feast in his bowl with a little kibble on top. He ate all of the Fancy Feast wet food and almost all the kibble. It's been 45 mins since I removed his dish and he didn't run to his litter box yet so that's a good sign. I will wait to see what is in his litter box when I get home from work this evening. Hopefully adding the kibble with his wet food will help solidify his stool better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well this morning for breakfast he had just some dry kibble. For his lunch I added less than 1/2 a table spoon of Fancy Feast in his bowl with a little kibble on top. He ate all of the Fancy Feast wet food and almost all the kibble. It's been 45 mins since I removed his dish and he didn't run to his litter box yet so that's a good sign. I will wait to see what is in his litter box when I get home from work this evening. Hopefully adding the kibble with his wet food will help solidify his stool better.
It will help the transition for sure! Eventually you'll be able to increase the wet. Good luck!

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Success! The Fancy Feast chicken/liver pate seems to agree with his tummy so he didn't leave a messy poop in his litterbox. I think combining it with his kitty kibble helps. This boy also eats everything in his dish so I can remove it and clean it for his next mealtime. 👍